Connecticut Nor'easter

Search

Connecticut Nor'easter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecticut Nor'easter

We made plans to go for an overnight visit to Connecticut this weekend from NJ.

Saturday night we're suppose to get a Nor'easter into Monday.

Wife is 8 months pregnant and a two year old girl.

What do you guys think, should we brave it?
We don't really know how strong / weak is a nor'easter.

Thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:33 AM

One estimate I read said it's a "100 year storm." Who knows. I might suggest you see if the National Weather Service has posted an advisory. That will give you a better sense of the potential of this system.

The term Nor'easter is so overused as to be inaccurate. Weather reports now call any winter storm in this area by that name.

In reality, a Nor'easter is a storm that comes in from the sea with driving winds that cause abnormal tide levels. It can be strong if it's a storm that has a similar circular motion to a hurricane.

In this area, the weather usually rolls in from West to East. A Nor'easter has motion that brings it out to sea and than back onto land.

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Kealalani

Nice synopsis Ryan. As a lifelong newenglander, it is only the past couple of years that I have heard the term noreaster used for anything other than an ocean driven blizzard.

I still can't believe some wind and rain are now being referred to as Nor'easters. Using the term for rain conditions kinda ticks me off. For 40 years it has meant one thing - now tv news is changing things up. Wrong I say Wrong!!!!

Zlaor, check in with the weather reports. If you have indoor actvities then go for it.

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Saturday is supposed to be a fairly nice day. But, I've heard VERY heavy rain Sunday/Sunday night/Monday, with high winds and potential for flooding. Temps early Sunday and Sunday night close to freezing so rain could be mixed with snow/sleet. I'd expect bad driving conditions on Sunday, worsening as the day goes on.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Its not like a hurricane where everybody has to evacuate and buildings get destroyed. Nothing like that.

But it is mighty uncomfortable to be outside. So it depends, I think, on your plans for the weekend.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:32 AM

The obvious question is: "What were you plans for the weekend?" If they involved being outdoors a lot, then I would cancel!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks.
My wife is from the Kansas so she grew up always paying attention to the weather (she had the mis-fortune to have her business ripped apart by a tornado).

After checking the National Weather Service (no adivsory - thanks Ryan) and being told that we cannot cancel our reservations at the B&B and will be charged full price we decided to go.

On Sunday all we were going to do is visit the Mark Twain House and go home, so even if the ride will be slow I think we'll be OK (if not we'll spend another night on the road).

It really bother me (and have bothered me for years) that the TV weather personnel straight out lie to get ratings.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:49 AM
bm

Advisories/warnings probably won't go out until tomorrow. I keep hearing the "biggest storm in 20 years". We're supposed to get snow up here in Vermont.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Actually, the rain may not start in the Hartford area until later Sunday, so you may be okay during the day.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM
J62

You really need to pay attention to the temperatures, and therefore the possibility of snow along the route.

Present forecast is for temps mid 30s high, low 30s low, so that would lean towards all rain.

Just 4 years ago there was a huge snow storm in late April, so it's not unprecedented.

In my opinion it's no rain/wind you need to heed, but if there is snow, it could be very heavy, whiteout conditions.

Where in CT are you visiting? If it's NW CT, then the probability of snow is higher. How far are you going? If it's Bergen county to Greenwich that's far easier than Cape May to Hartford.

I would not drive back from CT to NJ Sunday night after dark if there is chance of snow.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

J62, We are staying in New Haven, CT.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM

from everything I've heard, this storm is going to be rain and wind, not snow and blizzard, at least not in southern New England. The 100-year storm stuff seems to refer to the marine forecast. But you are not going out on a boat. I think this will not be too bad for you.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Here is the definition of a nor'easter http://www.ocean-beach.com/weather_noreaster.htm

From living on Long island my entire life, I can tell you the north shore of LI and Conn usually get slammed. The weathermen do not lie for ratings as weather is most unpredictible, they do it to save lives. From what they see it is going to be bad. Since a nor'easter is hurricane like, the winds are sustained 50+mph, we are not talking about a simple rain storm. We are going to get slammed as it is now slowing down and strengthing...they are saying dangerous and damaging for Sunday. Streets flood, not a few inches of water but feet of water. I have been in storms where you cannot see out your windshield due to the heavy rain. Roads close, electric may go out, crap flies around. I have an Audi A8 and I would not venture out in that kind of weather.

If you are asking this kind of question, it already sounds like you know what to do (especially with an 8 months pregnant wife and a 2 year old) you just don't want to admit it.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Kealalani

zlaor,

forecast is looking up!