confused-where to stay portsmouth,nh-,kennebunkport,ogunquit, maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very confused where to stay one nite. which of these towns are the nicest. looking for coastal town. do not need to stay in hotel on the beach. want the town to be quaint but interesting. a place you can walk around, shop, stop for a cafe lunch, have a great maine dinner. looking at kennebunkport, portsmouth, or ogunquit. open to other suggestions. can you suggest moderately-priced place to stay. thanks
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
Ike

I'm from the south and really enjoyed Kennebunkport. I have not been to Ogunquit or Portsmouth but KB was very nice and has some nice shopping to go along with great food and nice people. I stayed at the White Barn Inn and the food was unbelievable. Good luck.

http://www.whitebarninn.com/
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
jd

Portsmouth sounds like what you are looking for.If you stay at a hotel in town you can walk to most restaurants and shops. There are harbor cruises as well.We just came back, and stayed at the new Hilton Garden Inn .We liked it a lot, and it has a nice indoor pool, hot tub, and gym. It also has a great breakfast for $9.95;it's a buffet, but includes made to order eggs, omelets,pancakes, and waffles, and has lots of fruits and other stuff as well. We also checked out the Sheraton, but thought the Hilton was nicer.

Ogunquit is one of my favorite places, but for only 1 night, you may be better off in Portsmouth. If you go to Ogunquit, try to stay on Shore Rd., which has a walk to everything location.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:08 PM

I prefer Kennebunkport of the 3.
Ogunquit seems a little too hectic for me. Portsmouth is a bigger place, good shopping and restos, but not as "quaint", Remids me of a cool college town
None of them are exactly known for low priced accomodations. When are you going, and what do you consider "moderate"? I was happy when I could find something nice in the summer for under $200 per night
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM

Quaint, scenic coastal town with lots of shopping and great dining: Kennebunkport. For moderately priced try: The Lodge at Turbot's Creek or the Maine Stay Inn.
Check out this website: http://www.kennebunkport.com/
Good Luck!
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:02 AM

Because of the cruises, I would pick Portsmouth. I think there's also more options for theater and music. Many people recommend Chauncy's (go over the bridge and follow signs to Kittery Point) for lobster dinners on the water. If you choose Portsmouth, make sure to drive Rt 1B thru Newcastle. If you want a quiet spot, we take bag chairs to Prescott park and pick a shady spot to watch the water. But, remember Portsmouth is a very active seaport so this view is interesting but commercial/industrial. If you want more ocean head to Odiorne Point. Nice paved walkway along the ocean edge.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:12 AM

Hi,

Try the Rhumb Line in Kennebunk (800-337-4862). Great place and value for the price. I made the mistake of staying at the Village Cove Inn recently, and was very disappointed. (Dirty swimming pool, unmmade beds on arrival.) The owner did absolutely nothing to make amends, and did not return repeated messages after my departure.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 07:18 AM
jd

Sounds like Pete may be advertising for the Rhumb Line, from his only 2 posts on this forum.If you're not advertising Pete, and you are just a newcomer, I appologize.