Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Confused about Yellowstone trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/confused-about-yellowstone-trip-672516/)

KathrynT Jan 21st, 2007 11:49 PM

Confused about Yellowstone trip

I keep reading trip reports and am totally confused as to where to stay. It seems like staying in the Old Faithful area two nights or so would be wonderful. After that, where would you recommend for three more nights? Are two more locations too much?

Thanks!

tovarich Jan 22nd, 2007 12:47 AM

We visited Yellowstone twice and stayed in Gardiner and West Yellowstone.Each time we went in September after Labor Day.Nice weather and less tourists.You're only a short drive through beautiful country away from the Park.Paul

Daydreamer Jan 22nd, 2007 01:05 AM

It's been too long for me to recommend probably, but the park is SO huge, that if at all possible, I'd definitely recommend more time in the Park. Options: Yellowstone Lake...
the Canyon area...or Mammoth Hot Springs.

Tough choices! The park is just SO spread out. Would probably be decided mostly be availability...it's often hard to find lots of choices.

gail Jan 22nd, 2007 02:13 AM

I also was terriby confused. The Park is huge and distances are deceptive since animal jams can slow travel. The roadway is in a "figure 8" arrangement.

Step one is to get a map which includes towns right outside Park. Next decide how you will be getting there. For example, if you are flying into Jackson Hole answer will be different than if flying into some other city.

After that, it will probably become clearer - we flew into Jackson, spent a few days there seeing Grand Teton and then drove into Yellowstone, seeing the southern part on that day.

We stayed in Gardiner and West Yellowstone, outside Park. Check in-Park lodging for availability and see if it appeals to you, then go from there.

lmoneylsauce Jan 22nd, 2007 03:41 AM

I'd stay in the Old Faithful area for 2 nights and then spend the next 3 nights in/near Jackson Hole/Grand Teton National Park area. There is a lot of fun stuff to do in Jackson and GTNP can't be beat and is very different from Yellowstone.

RuthMc Jan 22nd, 2007 06:40 AM

When we went, we stayed 3 nights at Lake Yellowstone and 3 at Signal Mtn in Grand Teton. We didn't get to spend enough time in Yellowstone--the park is so diverse and so much to see. Also, as others have said, the distances, speed limits and animal jams mean you spend a lot of time driving if you stay only in one place. I'd stay in another place in Yellowstone for 2 nights and one in/near Grand Teton. It all depends upon what you're interested in. The town of Jackson Hole was nice, but I'd rather spend my time in the parks and I'm not a great hiker.

sylvia3 Jan 22nd, 2007 09:02 AM

I second Gardiner and/or West Yellowstone, Gardiner being the first choice. Many newer motels right along the river, and it's right at the entrance to the Mammoth Hot Springs.

peteandem Jan 22nd, 2007 02:20 PM

I would recommend staying at Roosevelt Lodge (and doing a cook-out dinner there). My wife and I worked there several years back and found this part of the park to be the best. You are close to Lamar Valley (where the wolves reside) as well as St. Joseph's Scenic Highway and the Beartooth Pass drive.

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is not a great place to stay. Mammouth Hot Springs is so crowded with tourists, grass and an overpopulation of elk.

Lake, Old Faithful and Roosevelt Lodge are my votes for Yellowstone. Each resort is in a different part of the park and gives you access to a multitude of options.

otownrob Jan 22nd, 2007 03:16 PM

ideally you would grab a lodge room at the lower loop (old faithful area) of the park for a few nights then move to the upper loop (mammoth area) for the remainder.

if you can't swing that, just stay outside the park (west yellowstone) for the duration and do a bit of driving. actually we had the most wildlife sightings driving into the park from west yellowstone.

KathrynT Jan 22nd, 2007 11:12 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I can't wait to go!