Reload this Page >

Condos on the north and south shore of kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 05:19 PM
leanne

My hubby and I have 10 days to spend in Kauai. thought we would spend 5 days north and 5 days south. Any ideas for condos? here is what we are looking for; a place with nice grounds and near the water. Hopefully a jacuzzi to soak in. Doesn't have to be fancy-in fact low key would be best. Really love to hear everyone's opinions!

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Sharon

Hanalei Colony Resort. Three words. We absolutely adore the place. It is on the north shore and seems to have all the qualities you are looking for. We stay there every year, after first staying on the south and then the east shore.Quite,peaceful a pool, jacuzzi, and a nice little breakfast on Thursday. It is right on the beach, with chairs you can pull around to suit yourself. Every condo had a lanai and a ocean, garden, or ocean view. It is quite and secluded. Can't wait to go in May!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Dawn Ct

We really liked the Hanalei Bay Resort. The grounds, the views and the pool area are wonderful.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Iza

To Sharon, do you use an agency for Hanalei Colony Resort? We are interested in staying there in August but I am not sure who to go through to make a reservation.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Sarah

Sharon that beach is not a swimming beach though, yes? Never stayed Hanalei Colony I have stayed at Princeville and Hanalei town. I prefer to be in Hanalei or Heina just so rich and green. Hanalei town sits walking distance to a swimming beach, I love this. You are also in a regular neighborhood instead of a resort village (something I don’t care about in Pville) you can also walk into town for breakfast, coffee, lunch.

Always want to plug the place that we rented last year because the service and lodging were great and so reasonable in price. http://www.hanaleihouse- kauai.com/information.html we stayed at the Aloha united. I think it was about $1100 for a week not bad for six people and very spacious.

I would also look at availability at Hanalei North Shore properties don't select any homes too close to Pavilion, as some times people gather early in morning or late at night. The home we stayed at was a comfortable distance yet not annoying to walk (half a block I think).

Princeville is a big drawl for a lot of people but I don’t understand this because you always have to trek down a hill and then back up again to condo/hotel if you want to visit beach. I like to walk on the beach in morning and at dusk but am discouraged by this.

Stayed at Hanalei Bay Resort which was ok but just a different kind of experience, a hotel-ish experience with cooking facilities. Funny what I paid for a studio there was about 50 less for a new house for six people. Something to consider when considering resorts. There are smaller unites available.

Have always been curious about that Hanalei Bay Resort because it is in such a great location.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Tony

In the south, try Kiahuna Plantation. We always stay there and love it.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Sharon

Hi! Leanne, We have been in august before. The only thing is , it is the dry season. Like everyone says, "no rain, no rainbows, that goes for waterfalls as well. We call directly to the resort which when my husband comes home I will pop back on with the number. No, the beach is not a swimming beach, but it a great beach to shell,stroll and lay around on. We do ocassionally fish there. A wonderful man showed us how to throw the net. It takes practice, but he was so nice and patient. He even shared his fish with us one day. The snorkling beaches are Tunnels, which is just down the road and Ke'e beach just a little further on. This place gives you beach towels, Mats to lay on, snorkling equipment. You can also rent snorkling equipment in Hanalei. The niftiest thing to us is they furnish wonderful brick covered grills, matches, charcoal and the condos have everything else you need. We ocassionally eat out, but sometimes we take our wine to the grill and chat and cook. There is also the beautiful Lumahai gardens. Oh, and of course we do the bird tour and the light house. Our daughter was married at the little green church in Hanalei and we were there for two weeks at the end of August into September. Everyone was disappointed because the waterfalls were sort of trickly, and the rainbows were few. Having said that, all the condos are decorated exactly alike, so you never wonder what you missed. Have fun, You can email me at [email protected] if you have any more questions.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:10 PM
anna

Leanne: if this is your first visit to Kauai, then you are making the right decision to stay five days on the north shore and five days on the south shore. I am a frequent visitor to Kauai and love it more than anywhere on earth.

Here is what I would recommend for the south shore: try for one of the condo complexes in the Poipu area, specifically the Poipu Kai Resort. There are a couple of management companies that handle the units here, because the owners of the condos are not locked in to using any one company. The complex closest to Poipu Beach is Manualoha, building #1. The complex closest to Shipwreck Beack (the Hyatt's beach) is Poipu Sands, building #5. The Sands is a nicer complex.

The north shore is by far my favorite place on the island. You should know that there are no condos north of Princeville, though, and you have to rent a house. I would not pick the Hanalei Colony Resort, the beach there is not swimmable, and it can be too windy. Hanalei town has lots of rentals. The previous suggestion of using Hanalei North Shore Properties is a good one, but you should also contact kauaivacationrentals.com. They have lots of rentals in Hanalei and in Haena (my personal favorite). Haena is on Tunnels Beach--great for strolling, swimming, snorkeling, boogy boarding, body surfing, watching the kite surfers, seeing double rainbows and waterfalls. You are isolated, it's true, and it's at least a 20 minute drive into Hanalei, but what a drive: the most beautiful 20 minute commute on earth. Along the way you pass Lumahai Beach, another slice of heaven. We frequently stop there for a swim coming back from town. We usually do dinners back at our rental, barbequing, drinking mai tais and watching the sunset. The best vacation you will ever have, and you'll probably get hooked on Haena. You will have to book now for August or September, if there is anything left.

There's only one draw back: the mosquitoes in the evenings. So bring lots of repellant, and hydrocortizone cream, and mosquito coils.

Have great trip!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Sharon

Wow! Leanne, are there ever different opinions. We stayed at the Poipu Kai Resort the first time we went to Kauai. Maybe, It's because we live so close to the gulf that we weren't so impressed. I sort of felt like we were in Florida on the South shore.. Her is the number for H.C.R. 1-800-628-3004. Wherever you go have fun. P.S. My dear husband says for everyone to go to the south. Please ignore everything I have said about the North shore. No one should ever have any reason to go North.