Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Compact Rental Cars, No Auto Steering & Brakes!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
jm1955

On our last vacation in Florida, we requested a Compact size rental car due to the traffic and tight parking, not because we are cheap. When we arrived at the rental counter, the rep indicated the Compact cars did not have automatic steering or brakes! Needless to say, we upgraded. It seems we have to upgrade for one reason or another every time we rent a car. Has anyone else had these problems?

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By "automatic steering" I assume you mean power steering, which if that is indeed the case, small cars don't need power steering. They are small enough that the turn easily without it. Larger cars are hard to drive without power steering because of their weight and therefore higher inertia than small cars.

By "automatic brakes" I assume you mean anti-lock breaks. It is very common that entry-level cars do not come standard with ABS. It is generally an option, often packaged with something above the base model. Rental companies don't usually purchase anything but the base model. For larger cars, ABS is more common as standard equipment, but it isn't always included.

I can see your reluctance to rent a car without ABS, but I really don't see an issue with renting a small car without power steering.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 02:46 PM

When was that "last vacation"?

I can't think of any car sold in the US now that doesn't have power steering. Maybe an Ford Fiesta 10+ years ago, but not today.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
GoTravel

Did they rent you a Yugo?

I think the only standard feature on the Yugo were wheels, frame, steering wheel, and brakes.

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM

Actually cars like the Chevy Aveo come with old fashioned brakes, standard. A lot of the second-line rental companies seem to call this car, and similar a "compact". Whereas one of the majors such as Hertz will call it an "Economy" car.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:59 AM
jm1955

This vacation was in March 06. The reason I said "automatic steering and brakes" as is this is the way the agent described the car. But when questioned, it was power steering and power brakes (not even ABS). We needed power steering, even though it was a small car, because of the really tight parking.

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:10 AM

The agent is pulling your leg. I wouldn't rent from them again.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:33 AM

I live in Florida and haven't curb parked in years and years. Most parking is in parking lots or with a valet. What "tight" parking are you talking about ?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:37 AM

Oh, please....there are all kinds of places in Florida where one might want to park at the curb.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM

Maybe they're coming to Naples, where all the major streets have free parking -- but you must parallel park. I do it all the time.

I agree, someone was trying to rip you off if they suggested adding on for power seats or brakes. That's hysterically idiotic.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM

NONE of the major rental agencies offers a car without power steering and brakes. Even the bargain-basement Chevy Aveo has power steering and brakes standard (power-assisted brakes is ubiquitous on cars currently sold in the US, so the "power-assisted" is rarely mentioned). And the Hyundai Accent as well. If this was at a major, I'd complain loudly to Corporate.

Which rental agency was it?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM

I got that same comment when renting 2 wks ago in HNL. We only needed it for a day.
Personally it didn't matter. As someone else said you don't need power steering on a small car. No ABS was no worry for me, especially on dry pavement.
Having said all that, they upgraded us because they didn't have the car I rented available.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Renting a compact car does not mean that you are cheap.

Believing that rental agent, does, however, mean you are dumb.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:23 PM

boovt, I think you were also a victim of an attempt to be taken. It is not unusual for them to only have higher grade cars than you reserved. They are going to give you one of those better cars, but first they may try to get you to "opt" for it so that you pay for the upgrade. Those who never budge from their reservations will get the upgrade for free. That may also be what happened to jm1955.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:42 AM

yes I thought so too. Didn't work!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:01 AM

clark: you're out of line.

That said, rental agents resort to all sorts of tricks to get you to upgrade. One time when I was in Orlando renting a compact to drive only 60 miles one way, the agent said to me in front of my wife, "I wouldn't put MY family in that car."

I replied: "She's my 3rd wife, so I know they're replaceable."

No, she's not my 3rd. Yes, she has a sense of humor.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:41 AM

This happened to me in Denver. I was by myself on business and just needed basic transportation. I had reserved an economy car and at the rental counter they tried everything to get me to upgrade. I kept refusing, saying I don't need anything else. Finally he gave up and said, I don't have any economy cars how about a minivan. After all that I ended up in a 7 passenger minivan all by myself. I ended up driving into the mountains and it was great. Never let them talk you into an upgrade.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM

Nobody is going to rent you a car without brakes! You certainly do not need power steering to parallel park!! You were taken.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:43 PM

Did OP ever say which rental company this was?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the OP has only posted three times - twice to complain about Delta changing a flight time and this one to complain about a car w/o power brakes or steering (huh? - why would anyone need power steering on a compact anyway - but never mind)

Seems they either just have very bad karma - or simply don't travel much and don't know how to deal w/ "stuff".