Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Comments on Cirque du Soleil's Corteo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/comments-on-cirque-du-soleils-corteo-647574/)

yk Sep 19th, 2006 10:40 AM

Comments on Cirque du Soleil's Corteo?

I'm sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but has anyone seen this production? I just found out that it's coming to Dallas in Feb 07, and tickets go on sale soon.

I have seen several of Cirque du Soleil's show before, including:
Alegria
Quidam
Mystere
Varekai

I thought Alegria was wonderful (but also my first Cirque show). HOwever, the rest were just "pretty good" - the novelty had worn off.

I'm just wondering if Corteo is any better and worth the $?

Keith Sep 19th, 2006 01:04 PM

Sorry I can't help with that particular show, but Cirque du Soleil is always on topic in this forum.

Keith

pepper131 Sep 19th, 2006 01:05 PM

I was wondering the same thing.
In my book, nothing tops Quidam; I'm interested to hear if Corteo is comparable.
What I loved about Quidam was that you were completely transported into a "dreamland" meditative state.

J_Correa Sep 19th, 2006 01:15 PM

Corteo is my favorite so far. I have seen Alegria and Varekai.

nyer Sep 19th, 2006 01:40 PM

I liked Corteo as much or more than Alegria, and much more than Varekai.
But, if you're having Cirque du Soleil fatigue, you might skip it. I enjoy the shows much more when there are a few years between them!

yk Sep 19th, 2006 05:54 PM

topping for more comments

john127 Sep 20th, 2006 04:49 AM

Corteo is very different! I've seen Quidam, Allegria, and Varekai - Corteo, while maybe not my favorite, stands out as just being , well, different! It's staged unlike any other and the overall "feel" of it is just magical. Definitely worth seeing.

A couple we know who has seen just about every Cirque production says Corteo is their absolute favorite.

yk Sep 20th, 2006 07:28 AM

Okay, you guys have convinced me (I hope none of you work for Cirque du Soleil)!

I have gone ahead and bought tickets for Corteo. It's so unusual for me to buy tickets for an event so far in advance (5.5 months from now), but I'm worried if I don't do it now, I'll get crappy seats (or all sold out).

Thanks for your comments.

dfrostnh Sep 20th, 2006 08:25 AM

I'm grateful for the comments because I already have tickets for a performance this weekend in Boston. I've only seen Le Reve (I know it's not a Cirque show) but one of my 3 friends wanted to see Corteo. I was afraid I would be disappointed after see Le Reve at that incredible theater at the Wynn.

GailLK Sep 20th, 2006 08:30 AM

Not to go off the subject, but I also LOVED Quidam, as it was my FIRST Cirque show, saw it in NYC which made it even more special. HATED Cirque DELIRIUM! Would love to catch Corteo if it comes to a city nearby.

Slw Sep 20th, 2006 10:38 AM

We enjoyed Corteo but it is a bit different than some other Cirque productions as it relies more on the story & music and less on the "circus". We did find it beautiful and enchanting.

pjsparlor Sep 26th, 2006 09:37 AM

Loved Corteo, I have seen Varekai, quidam, alegria, Dralion. Alegria has been my favorite, but Corteo was close. Loved it!

yk Feb 24th, 2007 08:20 AM

Okay - FIVE long months later, we finally went to see the Corteo show last night in Dallas. It was amazing! Definitely a lot more enjoyable than most other Cirque shows I have seen.

So, thanks again to all of you who convinced me to go!

Dukey Feb 24th, 2007 08:24 AM

Glad you enjoyed it..now you have to go to Orlando and see LaNouba!!!!

pepper131 Feb 24th, 2007 08:52 PM

Thanks for the report, yk...we are going in a couple of weeks.

yk Feb 25th, 2007 12:41 AM

pepper-

You're seeing it in Dallas too? Make sure you leave plenty of time for parking. There's lots of road construction at Fair Park right now and traffic is horrible.

Enjoy the show!

Gretchen Feb 25th, 2007 04:21 AM

There are now apparently two types of Cirque shows--ones in the grand chapiteau and ones in arenas, which I think Delirium was one. The latter are complete ripoffs as far as I have heard. My SIL went to Delirium--BIG bucks as usual--and it was terrible. We have seen two--Quidam and Varekai. LOVED both of them. But I think a bit of time between is probably a good idea too.

pepper131 Feb 25th, 2007 07:10 AM

Thanks yk...

Actually I'm around Fair Park almost every day - it is a mess. But I'll probably go to Corteo the "back way" where there's nothing going on.

Gretchen - I have a friend who adores all Cirque du Soleil shows, but she was so disappointed in Delirium. Seems like the most people think it stinks.