Commander's Palace for jazz brunch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that CP is one of the best restaurants in the country, so I'd like to have a birthday meal there. My husband doesn't like to wear a jacket (it's hard enough to get him in slacks), so I was think of trying the jazz brunch on Sunday. Am I correct in my thinking that the dress code is more relaxed at that time? We will be visiting NO in October, I can't wait! I love to eat and I hear this is the city to do it in.
Thanks
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:22 PM

You're correct that Commander's Palace doesn't require a jacket at lunch. Don't be surprised, though, if many men still wear one. I absolutely love their jazz brunches...I hope you enjoy it too!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

If we go to CP for the jazz brunch, do we have to eat from the jazz brunch menu or can we choose from the regular lunch menu? Thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:06 AM
Dan

Don't know about the menu question. They're a pretty accommodating group so it won't hurt to ask. Lunch is more casual dresswise, but Sunday brunch is one step up from that. You'll still find lots of jackets even if they aren't required.

My concern is that you not hype CP too much. It's very good (service AND food), but I've found that people sometimes have unrealistic expectations that the restaurant just can't meet. It's a drawback of being "one of the best" I guess. Sometimes, people have a great meal and still think "I've had better!"
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:29 AM

CP will be fun at the jazz brunch and, yes, jackets are NOT required at brunch. Agree with the poster that said inflated expectations can detract from the experience. Go anyway, you'll love it. NOW, since you said you love to eat... You must try RioMar, the best seafood I've ever had. And you (or one of you) must try the gulf shrimp. And you must get the ceviche sampler. Here's their menu:
http://www.riomarseafood.com/index_rm.htm

You can also reserve via their website. Go!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:30 AM

I believe there is only one menu, but it does have a good amount of choices.

A jacket is definitely NOT required, I didn't see anyone wearing one when I went in January. My bf and I wore dress pants and nice sweaters and were the most dressed-up people in the room.

The food (esp. the egg dishes and the bread pudding) is excellent, the service is excellent, but I was a little disappointed by the decor and ambiance...it just didn't make it feel like a top restaurant. Maybe it was the tourists in white sneakers at the next table that kind of turned me off or maybe that the decor didn't impress me. But it is well worth going to. Make sure you check out the cemetery across the street too...interesting and creepy.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:23 AM

You can see the brunch menu online by simply looking up the Commander's Palace website. Regular brunch menu items include egg dishes, filet, several kinds of fish, etc.

Dan is probably right about people who go there with unreasonable expectations. Our love of the place spans decades and includes a number of very special meals we shared with family and friends.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

I just made reservations for the jazz brunch on my birthday! I have seen many recommendations for CP when people have asked for must eat at places. I'll try to keep my expectations down, but my excitement is over the top. Any other restaurant recommendations? Thanks all for your help!!!