Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Coming to America (again) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/coming-to-america-again-744524/)

Bertorelli Oct 24th, 2007 12:55 AM

Coming to America (again)

Hi All,

Next year we will be visiting you beautiful country again.
After two visits to the West it's now time to visit the South-East.

Our plans are roughly:
Start and End in Orlando.
We have about 3,5 weeks and want to visit New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville and states like North and South Carolina (and the ones South of those).

I've been to New Orleans and Memphis in 1995 before but for my wife it's the first time in this part.

What do we HAVE to visit. ;-)

Dukey Oct 24th, 2007 12:59 AM

If you enjoy unspoiled beaches and ones unlike those in Europe, the Outer Banks of North Carolina might be a place to consider...or the Sea Islands in South Carolina and Georgia.

Dukey Oct 24th, 2007 01:04 AM

You might also enjoy the Smoky Mountains in Western North Carolina/Eastern Tennessee as well as a stop in Asheville, NC, to tour America's largest privately-owned house, the Biltmore Estate.

Doesn't compare to the palaces in Europe but interesting nonetheless.

Orlando_Vic Oct 24th, 2007 04:09 AM

"What do we HAVE to visit"?

Charleston
Savannah
St. Augustine

volcanogirl Oct 24th, 2007 04:14 AM

Yes, Charleston is a beautiful city. We spent a lot of time touring the old plantations - many great history lessons here. The architecture and gardens are beautiful. We enjoyed dinner at Magnolia's too.

ggreen Oct 24th, 2007 05:08 AM

If you go to Memphis, consider taking the Natchez Trace (or at least part of it) from Memphis down to Natchez, Mississippi, before continuing on to New Orleans. This scenic roadway started as an Indian path and is still in use today. There are some historic sites along it, too.

Natchez itself is a nice stop for a day or so, with plantation history and Native American burial mounds.

You might also consider a stop in Vicksburg, MS, site of one of the largest battles in the US Civil War. The park and its memorial statuary pretty much overwhelms the town, but it's worth a stop if your itinerary and interests bring you that way.

Natchez is on and Vicksburg is just adjacent to the Mississippi River.

NewbE Oct 24th, 2007 05:16 AM

If you have three to five weeks--wow!--, consider including Washington, DC as your northernmost point.

wanderluster Oct 24th, 2007 05:16 AM

Be sure to have a peak at *Graceland* in Memphis -
Home of ELVIS -

Regardless if a fan or not, it's definitely unique in America :)

Bertorelli Oct 24th, 2007 05:47 AM

'If you have three to five weeks--wow!--, consider including Washington, DC as your northernmost point.'

We have 3 1/2 weeks not 3 to 5 weeks. ;-)

Where can we find St. Augustine?
(Google maps sends me to Pennsylvania)

Our current planning looks something like this: (sleepovers)
Day 1 - Orlando (FL)
Day 2 - Jacksonville (FL)
Day 3 - Savannah (GA)
Day 4 - Charleston (SC)
Day 5 - Charlotte (NC)
Day 6 - Asheville (NC)
Day 7 - Knoxville (TN)
Day 8 - Chattanooga (TN)
Day 9 - Nashville (TN)
Day 10 - Nashville (TN)
Day 11 - Memphis (TN)
Day 12 - Memphis (TN)
Day 13 - Jackson (MS)
Day 14 - Natchez (MS)
Day 15 - Baton Rouge (LA)
Day 16 - New Orleans (LA)
Day 17 - New Orleans (LA)
Day 18 - New Orleans (LA)
Day 19 - Pensacola (FL)
Day 20 - Panama City Beach (FL)
Day 21 - Panama City Beach (FL)
Day 22 - Perry (FL)
Day 23 - Orlando (FL)
Day 24 - Orlando (FL)
Day 25 - Zeewolde (Home)

Not too much miles a day we think.
It's a first planning so we can switch here and there.

How is the area around New Orleans these days?
I've been there in 1995 and did a swamp tour. Would that be possible next year (because of Katrina)

Orlando_Vic Oct 24th, 2007 06:48 AM

Hi Bertorelli-

In response to your question, "Where is St. Augustine?" it is on the way from Orlando to Jacksonville, approximately 100 miles from Orlando and approximately 40-45 miles south of Jacksonville.

If you take Interstate Highway 4 (I-4) from Orlando toward Daytona Beach and then get on I-95 toward Jacksonville, it is about a 2-2½-hour trip. It is not out of your way one bit. St. Augustine would be a much better place to spend the night, instead of Jacksonville.

Here is some basic information about St. Augustine to get you started:

<http://www.getaway4florida.com/> and <http://www.st.augustine.com/>.

beanweb24 Oct 24th, 2007 06:53 AM

You can definitely do a swamp tour post-Katrina. I just spent a week in New Orleans on a volunteer vacation, and one night we did a swamp tour. It was one of the most fun things we did on our trip - the swamp was more beautiful than I could imagine. Great time!

When you are in New Orleans, please make it to Frenchmen Street for some great jazz. If you like beer with your live music, I heartily recommend d.b.a. *Excellent* beer selection, great interior, great music. I think we had to pay $5 to get in since there was live music, but it was worth it...and Frenchmen Street is a wonderful change from the French Quarter which can be really in-your-face.

Enjoy your trip.

claudechev Oct 24th, 2007 07:00 AM

Completely in agreement with Orlando-Vic's recommendations:

Charleston: very nice place with an old country atmosphere. Visitors from overseas love this place, including my parents.

Savannah: have never personally been there, but very good reviews, similar to Charleston.

St. Augustine: also very historic with the old fort and old city, and very beautiful beaches. Would select this over Jacksonville, as it is easier to get around, and more stuff to do, in my opinion.

ggreen Oct 24th, 2007 07:18 AM

Is there a specific reason you have Jackson, MS on the list? It is a little bit of a detour from the Memphis-Natchez route and IMO not a huge tourist draw (with the caveat that I know MS as a tourist, not a resident!).

There are lovely towns along the Gulf Coast from the LA border to FL. Unfortunately these are the same that were wiped out in Katrina and I haven't been down there since, so I can't report on the post-hurricane experience. But you may want to consider at least Mobile, AL. If you can, drive along the water and not on the interstate for at least part of the way between LA and FL!

Also, what time of year will this be? That makes a big difference with activities! ;)

LLindaC Oct 24th, 2007 07:37 AM

I think you should consider visiting the Kennedy Space Center. I would choose 2 nights in some place besides Panama City beach. I didn't like it at all.

sunbum1944 Oct 24th, 2007 07:38 AM

Since you are spending time in Charleston - there is a beautiful area close by - Kiawah Island
Beautiful beaches/ resorts/ golf courses - known as a place where the sea turtles lay their eggs

Its an island but you just drive over a bridge to get there

Its been a long time since I was there- but have very fond memories of that place. When we visited there were still some wild horses on the island - and an alligortor on the golf course.

http://www.kiawah.com/

jodeenyc Oct 24th, 2007 08:45 AM

Bertorelli,

Sorry if you've noted this, but approximately what time of year are you thinking of taking this trip?

Although the weather in the South is generally nice year round, I woudln't want your trip to FL to be affected by what I consider the WORST time to be there (ala February-April for Spring Break silliness).

Bertorelli Oct 24th, 2007 09:20 AM

Hi,

We picked Jackson, MS because it's halfway Memphis and New Orleans.
But Vicksburg or Natchez would be fine too.

We will be traveling from mid june thru mid july.

So we will be there one july 4th. :)

Thanks for al the tips! Keep them coming... ;-)

KathyK Oct 24th, 2007 01:33 PM

My only comment is that you will be seeing many places, but not much at any of these places. You are picking up and moving each of the first 9 days. You'll be in each destination less than 24 hours. This might be your preference, but I would much rather explore a few destinations than barely scratch the surface at many.

ggreen Oct 24th, 2007 05:12 PM

So it will be *warm* when you're here! And you'll miss Mardi Gras but get Independance Day - a good trade, I think. ;) (Mardi Gras is quite a scene, but all of the Gulf Coast gets consumed by it. In fact, story has it that the carnivals started in Mobile before becoming popular in NO...)

On my trip in MS, we went through Jackson to get up to Vicksburg (then circled back down to the coast through Natchez). Vicksburg was cute, and as I said the battle memorial park is there. I'd say we liked Natchez a bit more - I particularly remember good ribs for dinner there, and we preferred the hotel. Unfortunately I don't remember the names of places! I'll have to see if my sister does.

If you take the Natchez Trace, Jackson will be on your way and Vicksburg a bit out of your way.

tuckerdc Oct 24th, 2007 05:28 PM

Wow - it does seem like you have a "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" itinerary mapped out (named for American tourists that crammed in a huge amount on their Europe ventures). But it doesn't seem like you are allowing yourself anytime to "stop and savor the flavor" of any one place.

And those one-day stops barely allow for any taking-in of the locales, when you factor in driving.

Charleston and Savannah are two of the South's (and the US's) most distinctive and architecturally interesting cities. I think you'll be doing a disservice to blow them off in basically a couple of hours.

And you do realize the kind of summer heat you will be encountering?

Just a couple thoughts....