Comedy clubs in Los Angeles

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 02:24 PM
milton

Comedy clubs in Los Angeles

Does anyone have suggestions for a great comedy club in Los Angeles. We're taking our daughter back to LMU and have not had an opportunity to "experience" an LA comedy club. Would prefer a club near the campus, Westchester or Santa Monica area though driving is not a problem. We'll be there in a week. HELP!!!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 05:18 AM
arabella

ttt

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Christina

There is only one big comedy club in that area that I know of (although my info may be out-of-date, these things come and go and I haven't been there in a few yearsw) which is Igby's Comedy Cabaret on W Pico Blvd in West Los Angeles (not far from Santa Monica). I don't think it's quite as "good" as the ones in Hollywood/WHollywood (Improv, ACME) or the Ice House in Pasadena, but a lot of the acts seem to just make the rounds at all those clubs. I'm not sure if they get the real big names there or not, but it's definitely convenient to LMU. Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach is well-known and good, but that's farther. It should be a fun evening, it's been there a long time and is well-known.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Alisa

Igby's is not open any longer, unfortunately.

I would go for the IMPROV--

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 06:42 PM
milton

Mahalo to Alisa & Christina. I guess we'll try the Improv. Arabella, what da heck is "ttt"?

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Sarah

Milton - ttt stands for "to the top".

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 09:56 AM
milton

thanks, sarah...

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Dawn

I believe that the Comedy Store in Santa Monica is open and there is also a comedy club called the Ice House which is located in Pasadena neir Colorado Blvd. I know that is open, because I was their around Christmas time. Drinks are expensive though.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Christina

gee too bad about Igby's, that had been there for years. Anyway, I know ACME is still there on La Brea, here is it's URL:http://www.acmecomedycompany.com/
I'd just go to Improv, it's the best known, as long as you'd have to go up that way anyway. Ice House is good but that's a lot farther from west side. I think the comedy place in Santa Monica on 3rd St is gone, also. You can read some short descriptions if you go to LA TImes web site (www.latimes.com) then "entertainment" and then look for comedy clubs.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Thyra

Well THE comedy club in Los Angeles is the Comedy Store, run by Mitzy Shore, Comedian Pauly Shores mother, all the greats started in her main room.
Jay Leno, Robin Williams, Jim Carey etc. The club has 3 rooms in her club the Belly room seats 20 in the back (mostly unknowns) a middle room and the main room, open mike nights on Sundays.
The Comedy Store used to be a famous nightclub called Ciro's and is reputed to be haunted (it's on Sunset Blvd, near the House of Blues on the Strip)
The Laugh Factory is also on Sunset and Cresent Heights, (East of the Strip proper) it has a lot of ethnic comics, and does huge business, all professionals.
Another great club is the Improv on Melrose (used to be featured in an American Express Commercial, if I recall correctly) They have improve plus loads of comics, Sam Kinnison played there, (while living... hopefully) as well as many great comics,
There iss also,
The Ice House in Pasadena
Ha Ha Cafe in North Hollywood

I would pick the Comedy Store as THE premier Los Angeles Club.... secondly the Improv.

Welcome to Los Angeles (see Below)

The Comedy Store
8433 Sunset Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(323) 656-6225

The Comedy and Magic Club
1018 Hermosa Avenue
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
(310) 372-1193

The Groundlings Theatre
7307 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046