Reload this Page >

come on all you Americans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 08:02 PM
Isobel

thank you to all that replied to my message.We have decided on south carolina,in late may for 3wks,travelling from orlando to south carolina,could you please,please tell me is there anything we could see or do on our way up there.my husband loves fishing.we are going to go to charleston,hilton head,myrtle beach,thinking about blue ridge mountains of virginia and cape fear,not that we know much about the last two.Please help a friend from the uk..

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 04:49 AM
doc

to the top....

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 05:51 AM
Brian in Atlanta

St. Augustine, about 30 miles south of Jacksonville, Florida is the oldest city in the US and has a neat historic district (makes a good stop on your trip up the coast from Orlando.

Savannah is also a great town - worth a couple of nights - be sure to stay in the historic district, or there's a good beach 20 minutes away at Tybee Island.

You may find Myrtle Beach to be "tacky" but the beaches are nice and there is plenty to do there. And it's your best bet for observing rednecks in their native habitat.

The mountains will be a very long drive away.

If I had 3 weeks and was planning on spending time in Orlando, I'd probably limit myself to St. Augustine, Savannah, Hilton Head and Charleston.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 09:30 AM
curious

Brian - I was wondering what you would list as reasons to include Hilton Head in a trip. I have been to Savannah, Charleston and HH and I really didn't see any need to go to the latter except to visit friends/relatives (the very reason I went). I didn't go to any beaches on the mainland - are the HH ones far superior? Or is it golfing? (I'm not a golfer so that wouldn't have sold me.) I found HH to be creepily like Disney; you know, a sort of "Celebration" type town, all sanitized and cutesy and not at all real. Everyone's house, car, clothes, etc. looking the same, no people of color, no historic areas to visit, and even the food seemed sanitized - our waiter told us no restaurant on the island was allowed to serve a steak or burger cooked raw - nevermind the fact that any four star chef will tell you that's the best way to eat beef - because it's THE LAW on the island. ???? Compared to the Old South beauty, and the relative diversity, of Savannah and Charleston, it was a huge disappointment. But since I know people there, I'd like to learn to appreciate it more - so what does it offer, in your opinion?

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 09:48 AM
Bob Brown

Before you decide on all beach vacation, at least check out the web site for the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is a scenic, ridge crest drive along the Blue Ridge Mountains. In North Carolina it reaches a high point of about 6,000 feet in elevation. Mount Pisgah Inn near Ashville is a lovely place to spend the night. Great views, good place to eat, scenic location.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Brian in Atlanta

We go to Hilton Head for a few different reasons. We are beach people and find the beaches (South Forest Beach) to be very good (as long as you're far enough away from the overcrowded Holiday Inn Section). We also like the fact that there are numerous food/drink/nightlife options (though many require driving). Plus, it's only about a 4.5 hr drive from Atlanta.

I'm struggling with your reference to Disney. You're not refering to Disney's Hilton Head resort that isn't even on the island, are you? The only thing I can think of that might be considered Disney is the local ordinances that restrict business signs to be short and colored to blend in with the foliage (i.e. no golden arches). Personally, I like this.

And while Hilton Head does seem to attract a lot of BMWs with Fulton County tags (i.e. Yuppies) we don't let their whitebread attitudes restrict us in any way.

I don't like golf either and like my steaks rare. Guess I'll have to stick to fish.

I'd agree that Hilton Head isn't the perfect place, but other than Tybee Island, it's our favorite beach within weekend driving distance of Atlanta. And if you have kids (we don't) there are lots of families with kids for them to play with.

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 08:38 AM
arjay

Brian: Disney-esque as in being unreal, plastic, sanitized...that would be my take. I've appreciated your posts and wisdom in the past, but I too would cast a vote against HH. Have you explored St. Simons Island at all? Nice beach, a bit upscale (compared to the "margaritaville" ambience of Tybee), but w/o the "attitude" we found implicit at HH. IMHO.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Brian in Atlanta

arjay, we haven't been to St. Simons yet, but it is high on our list of places to go. We just haven't been able to identify a good place to stay yet. Most places seem to be too far from the beach, must be rented weekly, or are very expensive with fairly anemic beaches (King & Prince).

If you've got a good recommendation for a decent place to stay for a few days with access to a good beach, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 09:29 AM
Lara

If you are stopping in Charleston, I hope you are going to Sea Brook Island.
Its where Kiawah and Sea Brook island resorts are. This is a great place outside the city of Cahrleston that shouldn't be missed. There is golf and tennis, but also fishing, bike riding, and horseback riding. I found it very relaxing and enjoyable. You can get a condo right on the beach at Sea Brook Island, some package deals are offered. (I stayed there.) Kiawah is nice too, but probably more expensive and there's many more people. Have fun!

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 06:27 PM
Susan

Hello Isobel,

Lived in North Carolina for 6 years and return to the beach every summer. The area you are traveling for 3 weeks is beautiful. Perhaps you would like to hear a few ideas that might not be mentioned previously? When you leave Orlando to head up the coast, consider stopping at the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral. If you haven't been to this area before, I think your 12 year old might really enjoy this, especially the guided bus tour which takes you close to the shuttle launch tower and the assembly building - the place the rocket stages are put together - a building so large that they report clouds have formed inside. As you travel on the coast through Georgia, consider stopping for a few nights at either Cumberland Island or Jekell Island. Cumberland is a very natural barrier island, run by the National Park Service. The Park Service offers a lovely place to stay, the Greyfield Inn (or you can camp). Jekell Island is close by, more developed than Cumberland. It has beautiful summer "cottages" (mansions where I come from that were left abandoned during World War II (long story - they'll tell you if you visit the island). Many places to stay there. Jekell Island is the place where John and Carolyn Kennedy were married. Either island has bikes to rent, and fishing for your husband.
Next, those that have advised seeing Savannah and Charleston are all correct. They are both beautiful cities. But I wonder if you might find them fairly similar, and if you're trying to make it to the Blue Ridge mountains, which I highly recommend, perhaps you will want to concentrate on only one? Savannah isn't really on the Atlantic Ocean, but up river. It is an international port, so it's very interesting to see large (!) ships travel up to the Port of Savannah. However, I personnally would suggest Charleston over Savannah. Definately spend at least 3 days in and around Charleston. Consider staying right in the historic section (many nice inns:Church Street Inn, Lodge Alley Inn, Two Meeting Street Inn) and enjoy walking to see the lovely houses in this section. You will be right near an old open air market that has been converted to shops and craft stalls. The market is reputed to have been the site of slave auctions. Look closely in this section of Charleston for a Museum of Slavery - a very small but interesting place that doesn't romantisize the southern slave experience. You will want to take a carriage tour through the historic section. Also consider taking a trip to one of the near by plantations - suggest choosing one. My favorite is Boone Hall Plantation, which has an incredibly long entrance drive flanked by live oaks - very "Gone With the Wind". Travel to Fort Sumter (or even better) Fort Moultrie to see Civil War exhibits. Another thing your 12 year old may enjoy is a drive to the nearby Audobon Sanctuary in the Francis Beidler Forrest - a 3/4 mile boardwalk through a typical Southern cypress swamp - hanging moss and all.
As an alternative to staying in downtown Charleston, you may wish to stay on one of the barrier islands near Charleston, and take day trips into the city's historic section. Agree with post above about Seabrook Island, a very nice place. But you also could consider Sullivan's Island or Isle of Palms - easy to do either shore, p
ier or hired boat ocean fishing here. When you leave Charleston to travel up the coast, I would suggest just a day stop Myrtle Beach, but this is definately a matter of personal preferences. Myrtle Beach is a very active tourist beach town. That means lots of typical tourist activities - arcades, t-shirt and souvenier shops, busy beach area with lots of people watching, even in May. Some members in my family love this, as they like the action and hustle-bustle activity.
I hope that you will consider spending a few days in Wilmington, NC in the Cape Fear area. It's got alot to offer, especially if you stay down at one of the barrier island beaches. Consider staying at Carolina Beach, not as expensive as Wrightsville Beach, close to good fishing, and close to Fort Fisher (tour a Civil War site) and the North Carolina State Aquarium. Downtown Wilmington has great shopping, great restaurants, the USS North Carolina battleship to tour, take a ferry to the Cape Fear lighthouse, etc, etc. Do I sound like a fan? It's a great place!
If you travel inland to the Blue Ridge, consider stopping at two of the most beautiful US university towns - Duke University's campus in Durham and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. You might want to stay a night in Chapel Hill, at the Carolina Inn.
You haven't said much about what you might wish to do in the Blue Ridge mountains. Perhaps you might consider another university town, Charlottesville, Virginia, home to the University of Virginia and Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello. From near there you can head up the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. Along the Parkway, the National Park Service has some interesting lodges that offer cabins or lodge rooms in facilities that are very interesting, and a nice change from the usual hotels. Not sure about availability, as they can be very popular.

My personal choices for the areas you are are traveling are as follows: Stop at Cape Canaveral as you leave Orlando, spending about 1/2 day. Travel up the Georgia Coast and stay at Jekell or Cumberland Island for 2 or 3 nights, spend a day in Savannah on the way to Charleston. Stay in historic district of Charleston for 2 to 4 nights, depending on how many side trips appeal to your interests. Suggest you choose either Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach or a Wilmington area beach, and stay put for about 4 nights to really enjoy the rhythm of the barrier islands. Wilmington has a little more variety and balanced portfolio of activities to offer, but Hilton Head offers you the classic resort area with lots of sports. Travel inland North Carolina, with one night in Chapel Hill, head on up to Virginia, with a stop at Monticello and Michie's Tavern in Charlottesville, head to the Blue Ridge Parkway or North Carolina Asheville area.

Web sites:
www.cr.nps.gov/nr/feature2.html gives you details of what to see on a coastal drive from Fla to South Carolina
www.nps.gov is the National Park Service site with information on Blue Ridge Parkway, Cumberland and Jekell Island, the historic forts, etc.
www.southcarolina.com for where to stay in Charleston area
www.ego.net/us/nc/ilm for information about Wilmington area and where to stay

Thanks for letting me share a few of my favorites from this area. Contact me via e-mail if I can provide more information. Happy traveling!

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 08:54 PM
Joy in virginia

I second the Jekyll island recommendation from the prior poster. It is lovely & underappreciated. Also, When driving up from Orlando go east and work your way over to Highway A1A, it heads north along the Atlantic Coast & is pretty, a bit slower pace than Interstate 95, you can take it to St. Augustine. There is a florida State park called Washington Oaks about 30 miles north of Daytona that is worth a stop, lovely gardens to walk through, and across the highway the park continues with beach access. We have stopped there before & had a picnic with a nice break from driving. I also like the Biltmore Mansion, an American castle & relic from the Gilded Age, which is in Asheville North Carolina. Fabulous house & gardens (if you get that far northwest). If your itinerary will bring you as far north as Virginia drop me an email for more info.

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 02:03 PM
arjay

Had another thought about another fort (after Sumter was mentioned) - if you are in the Savannah area, if you head towards Tybee Island, you'll come to Fort Pulaski (maybe 20 minutes from S.). This is an interesting, peaceful (now) place...Gen. Robert E. Lee supervised its construction (and had a hand in the design, I believe), and it was the site of a turning point battle in the Civil War. The walls are still pockmarked with the large artillery shells that enabled the North to take what had been thought an inpenetrable fort. A most worthwhile sidetrip into American history.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:38 PM
patty

I realize that this is a very old post but had to write for those who will be reading this looking for information on the greyfield inn. It is not run by the national parks service at all , it is owned and run by one of the few , original families of the island. The only public accomodations on the island is camping. Also the kennedy's were married on Cumberland and stayed at the Greyfield.