Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Columbus weekend trip planning help needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/columbus-weekend-trip-planning-help-needed-633889/)

cherikm Jul 25th, 2006 12:16 PM

Columbus weekend trip planning help needed

My two daughters, one of whom lives in Boston and one in New York, and I (Chicago) want to plan a three day "girls weekend" over the Columbus day weekend. (My Boston daughter teaches, so that's the only time she can take three days.) We would love suggestions for someplace we can go and see the colors, eat very well (we're all foodies) and perhaps do a spa day. I know this is a tall order, but I've got faith in this board. Me and New York daughter can fly somewhere, then rent a car. Boston daughter can either fly and meet us or drive if it's not too far. Please help!

SAnParis Jul 25th, 2006 12:20 PM

If $$$ is no object I would say fly into Asheville & stay @ the Grove Park Inn. You could also fly into Jax & take in Amelia Island. Or what about the Greenbrier ?

GoTravel Jul 25th, 2006 12:28 PM

Ditto on Asheville and The Grove Park Inn.

Don Jul 25th, 2006 12:33 PM

cherikm mentions "someplace we can go and see the colors." Is there much fall color in Asheville around Columbus Day? In my experience, color in the North Carolina mountains, especially as far south as Asheville, tended to be a couple of weeks later.

I love Asheville, but if leaf-peeping is a large part of what cherikm wants, I don't know that Asheville would be the best place that early in October.

placeu2 Jul 25th, 2006 12:43 PM

Bring the girls into Chicago and drive up to Door county, WI. That is the perfect weekend for fall colors in that part of WI.

cherikm Jul 25th, 2006 05:34 PM

Ashville doesn't work because its too difficult to get to from Boston - change of planes, etc - for a 3 day weekend. Door county is too much of a hassle for three days when you have to fly into chicago and then drive up and back. And besides, they grew up in Chicago, we've been there, done that. Need something east coast, that can be reached conveniently from Boston. Thanks for trying!

TKT Jul 26th, 2006 07:02 AM

The Berkshires in Western Mass. combines beauty with culture. Northampton, MA on the way, offers many great restaurants on and off of Main Street. You will also get a great foliage tour.

cherikm Jul 26th, 2006 03:00 PM

Any suggestions on places to stay in the Berkshires? How far a drive would it be from Boston? Thanks!

HowardR Jul 26th, 2006 03:04 PM

If you can afford it, the ideal spot to meet all your requirements would be Canyon Ranch in the Bershires.

TKT Jul 27th, 2006 05:42 AM

Northampton, MA is about 90 minutes from Boston, The Berkshires about 2 1/2 hour drive.

BostonGal Jul 27th, 2006 08:01 AM

What about Ogunquit Maine? My mother, sister and I did that a few years ago mid-October. Of course, at that time it's pretty dead up there and the weather wasn't the best, but it was fun to do our own thing, bop around the stores and I know there are a few spas around. There are great restaurants up there you can check out.
It's only about 1.5 - 2 (max) hrs to get there from Boston.
We stopped in Portsmouth NH on the way up for lunch which was fun - more little shops and tasty food.