Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Columbus Motor Inn or Cow Hollow Motor Inn??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/columbus-motor-inn-or-cow-hollow-motor-inn-346304/)

srq5000 Aug 9th, 2003 12:07 PM

Columbus Motor Inn or Cow Hollow Motor Inn???

Both of these hotels look nice. I will be in SF for 3 nights. I am having trouble making a decision on which one to choose. Would like some opinions. I plan on doing mainly sightseeing around town. Which is in a nicer area of town and which is more convenient. Is one hotel more well kept than the other. I realize both have free parking. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Patrick Aug 9th, 2003 03:01 PM

Although I've never stayed in a room at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn, I've stayed several times in Cow Hollow Suites, a separate part of the same facility with beautiful furnished apartments that shares the same underground parking, and I have peeked into rooms in the Motor Inn. It is a very nice facility and very well kept. The location couldn't be better as far as I'm concerned, although many of the rooms face Lombard which I suspect might be rather noisy (the Suites are on Chestnut which is much less busy with traffic). I think I might request a room not on the street if staying at the Motor Inn. There is a huge choice of nice restaurants of all types in the immediate area as well as some nice shopping. It is just a block from the major bus line, so although we usually have our car there, we almost always take the bus -- direct line every 12 minutes or so to Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach, Chinatown, Union Square, and then Market Street.

The Columbus Motor Inn is owned by the same company I believe and is quite similar. I personally prefer the location of the Cow Hollow Motor Inn.

Pam1951 Aug 12th, 2003 10:59 PM

We just got back from SF. We stayed at Columbus Motor Inn which I would highly recommend. Location is great - within easy walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf and not far from North Beach. The hotel manager was very helpful - even moved his car for us when the parking garage was full. Eat at Pat's on next block over for breakfast. I liked the location better than Cow Hollow which we drove by.

Pam

tlegray Aug 13th, 2003 05:26 PM

We always stay at the Columbus Motor Inn, but the Cow Hollow is in a little nicer area.

Patrick Aug 13th, 2003 05:37 PM

I don't mean to argue, but you can't judge the area of Cow Hollow by "driving by". First of all, although Cow Hollow Motor Inn is on Lombard, a very busy street, the real gems are Chestnut, just one block behind, and Union Street, two blocks up. This is a great area compared with where the Columbus Motor Inn is located.

don512 Aug 14th, 2003 05:01 PM

I personally like the area where the Columbus Motor Inn is located. It is right inbetween the wharf area and North Beach. Chinatown is within walking distance also, not to mention that it is a lot more convenient to public transportation than the Lombard area where the Cow Hollow Motor Inn is located. You will have a lot more dining options around the Columbus Motor Inn also.