Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Columbia River Gorge - best scenic route in WA or OR?

Old Jul 18th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I have seen this mentioned in some posts, now that it is time to actually map our this two-3 days, I can't find them.

I really would like everyone's own comments on their favorite route and stops, etc, since We can drive Either on the WA or OR side -- HEADED EAST and then ultimately turning north to Glacier ( yes, I know not great, but just how it has ended up) have been unable to book any park lodges, so arrival date there is flexible.

For this particular segment, we are driving from Mount Rainier on Fri 6/25 - tentatively south on WA 141 joining the River around Underwood, and could cross into OR at Hood River Bridge.

I have seen your comments about "The Dalles" and the River Gorge scenic area, and actually added this route to be sure not to miss it entirely. HTTy, Gardyloo and TomFuller, you guys have really helped make our trip in the NW memorable ( and sorry if I forgot mention of anyone Else LOL)
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

PS yes, I DO have time to backtrack a little to reach the river border near Portland - especially if there is something along the river We should not miss.
-- but we will have already covered the coastal area of OR and WA at that point
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 04:45 PM

I-84 is a busy interstate with a rough surface in many places, whereas WA-14 is a two lane highway. The views are good from I-84, but we much prefer driving on WA-14, and that's what we did this past week.

If you are driving from Portland and haven't been to Mulnomah Falls, they are a treat to behold. Drive east on I-84 to visit them.

Cross the river at Cascade Locks (Bridge of the Gods) and drive on WA-14 until turning north on Highway 97 or I-82. You will not be disappointed by the views from the Washington side.

If you are driving up from Bend, take Highway 97 and 26 to Hood River and cross the river at Hood River. You will have great views of Mt. Hood on Highway 35, and there are several good places to eat in the pleasant town of Hood River (we especially like Solstice Woodfier Cafe).

There is a McDonald's in Bingen and a good restaurant in Goldendale (The Glass Onion) if your take I-97. I-82 passes though a metropolitan area about 25 miles north of WA-14.

HTtY
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 04:58 PM

I'm sorry. I should have read more carefully before I made the preceding suggestions. I gather you didn't follow the plan to see the gorge on your way north, and I cannot recommend you make this detour driving on WA-141--it isn't a nice drive, and it is slow going.

You would be much better off using your time in other ways. For instance, you could take the ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island--that would be a great thing to do.

HTtY
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 05:12 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The scenic core of the gorge is between Hood River and Troutdale, not too far from Portland airport, so if you're arriving in the gorge on WA 141, you'll need to travel west almost 50 miles before turning around and heading east.

The key road in the gorge is the "historic" Columbia Gorge Highway, which runs along the top of the gorge between rougly Troutdale or Corbett on the Oregon side, not far from Portland airport, all the way to Horsetail Falls, a mile or two east of Multnomah Falls. If you're hitting the river at White Salmon/Hood River, you'll need to choose which route to use to cover that distance - either (1) the WA side (SR 14) all the way to I-205 by the airport, or (2) I-84 (the freeway at the river's Oregon side, then use the historic highway heading back east, or (3) drive the historic highway westbound to Troutdale, then back east on I-84. Hope that makes sense.

In addition to the viewpoints and waterfalls on the Oregon side (all accessed from the historic highway) you also want to see the Hood River Valley that runs south from Hood River up to Mount Hood; take the "fruit loop" - http://hoodriverfruitloop.com/ - and visit Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood if at all possible.

http://traveloregon.com/trip-ideas/s...river-highway/

PS when is Friday 6/25? Next year 6/25 is a Saturday.
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info - sorry, next Friday 7/25 of 2015
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Let's try that one more time SAT 7/25 ( champagne on the deck looking at Pacific was typing for me!)
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 08:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The waterfalls on the Oregon side along the old River Road (former US 30) are much better than anything you will see on the WA 14 route. You can hike up to the top of Multnomah Falls from either the I-84 median parking area or the old highway parking lot. The view from the top of Multnomah is spectacular.
Old Jul 19th, 2015, 04:45 AM

It is interesting to read others' opinions of what is scenic. While I was in the Columbia River Gorge a few days ago, this is what struck me as impressively beautiful:

*The drive from Washougal to the Hood River Bridge on WA-14.
*The view from Cape Horn--nine miles east of Washougal.
*OR-35 from Hood River to Parkdale.
*The loop Moisier to The Dalles on Old Highway 30 returning to Mosier on 7 Mile Hill Road.
*The loop Bingen to Klicitat, Goldendale, and Maryhill, returning to the Hood River Bridge on WA-14.
*Sitting at the foot of Multnomah Falls for an hour or so early on the morning of July 15.
*The view from Vista House, near Corbett.

I can't rank these because they were all scenic and beautiful in their own way.

HTtY
Old Jul 20th, 2015, 11:17 AM

Bookmarking for immediate future printing & reference
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone !
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 06:52 AM

Was hoping for more expert advise on this scenic route of the Columbia River Gorge area. Unfortunately, we don't have the time to really do it justice as when we leave Portland, our next overnight stop is down in Bend. Just curious what you think would be the more scenic route. Should we go south of Troutdale on Hgy26 (and a little north on 35 before continuing on 26 OR, take I84 up to Hood River and south on Hgy 35, to Hgy 26 OR any other suggestion you have. We would be leaving Portland by 8am (first week of Sept) and would like to arrive in Bend by 5pm.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 07:34 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Take the historic (old) highway from Troutdale to Multnomah Falls, stopping at the Women's Forum viewpoint, Vista House at Crown Point, Latourell and Multnomah Falls. Then use the freeway to Hood River, south on SR 35 to Timberline Lodge, then US26 to US97 and down to Bend. Piece of cake, you'll have plenty of time.

https://goo.gl/maps/8GL6Y
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

So glad we learned about this area from all of you! Beautiful scenery and memories for our trip. Thanks again.
Old Aug 1st, 2015, 09:18 AM

For my now having driven some of this SINCE MY LAST POST in this thread, I endorse the Maryhill, WA to Hood River, OR segment as a great visual experience.

In fact, I will from now on use "Stonehenge" as a target point to mark the eastern-most spot which non-locals should use for their tour.

Timberline Lodge was awesome too (save for the fact that I almost wore a "Pee-Chee"-themed t-shirt that day, and was dually disappointed and elated to find a vintage "Pee-Chee" on the wall at the lodge!) (it seems the image of the skier on the old "Pee-Chee" was taken at Timberline Lodge).

Newcomers will be impressed by how very near they can get to the top of Mt. Hood.

I guess that the 'optimum' crazy-8 path from Portland, to 'see' the Gorge and surrounds might be to start going east on I-84...all the way to Hood River, the cross to WA...farther east to Stonehenge, then reverse tracks, back to Hood River, and then south to loop around Mt. Hood/Timberline Lodge, then back toward Portland from there.
Old Aug 1st, 2015, 09:23 AM

Obviously us locals can experiment with various start/stop points during multiple trips, but that last path is 'efficient'.

**** though I should clarify that there are more ideal alternatives, in places, scenery-wise, to I-84 on that first Oregon stretch!!