What's near the Monteleone?- no car

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're attending a wedding and staying at the Monteleone with no plan to rent a car. I need to come up with ideas to entertain 20-somethings who enjoy food and jazz and "have no money"...so inexpensive is important. I haven't been to the city in 30 years, andI'm sure much has changed so suggestions are much appreciated.
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:31 AM
OO

Generally the FQ is entertainment enough for 20 somethings! They can catch jazz at Preservation Hall, even just standing outside if they want. Pat O'Briens was a favorite of mine at that age, or just wandering the quarter and seeing the street performers in the Jackson Square area. The Monteleone is so central to everything--no car is no problem.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just invite them INTO that hotel as a start what with it's atmospheric prices as I am sure they'll be impressed in one way or another.

I agree that a car is not needed at all and you can easily walk everywhere within a few minutes.
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies...glad to know that no car isn't an issue.
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:11 PM

You won't need a car in the Quarter or over in the CBD/Warehouse district. Go across Canal to Poydras street near the W hotel. Mother's has great po-boys and isn't expensive. The Ferdi special is my fav. Also, The Gumbo Shop in the Quarter is not expensive and has great red beans and rice. Cafe du Monde is inexpensive for coffee and beignets (don't wear black). Johnny's also has good po- boys and Acme oyster is good but there is always a line. We love Felix's for oysters. Stand at the shucking bar if you can to select you own. All of these are in the Quarter except Mother's and that is an easy walk. The warm muffuletta at The Napoleon House is good and I like the courtyard there. I also recommend City Grocery, which is just down from Cafe du Monde, for huge muffulettas that are delicious and inexpensive. They are a bit salty so drink extra beer or water. The line moves fast there.
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Oops, I meant Central Grocery not City Grocery. And, if you ever splurge a little the Barbecued Shrimp across the street from the Monteleone at Mister B's are my favorite!
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Didn't have a po-boy, but didn't think Mother's measured up to other breakfasts we had - Johnny's and Camellia Grill in particular. Johnny's is a dive, but breakfast was great, the biscuits were perfect. And Camellia Grill has opened an outpost in the FQ - don't know anything about it, especially compared with the original.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:14 PM

You shuold be aware that there are areas near the French Quarter that are very high crime. Before heading out you should ask the hotel which streets you should not go past - especially anyone who has had anything to drink.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Across from the Acme Oyster House ( which is highly over rated in my experience and difficult to get in ) is Deenies . .

http://www.deanies.com/

Really good seafood cooked cajun style
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. The kids love cajun style food.

Does anyone know if the hotel has an airport shuttle? I can't find that info on their site.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:20 AM

Basically, everything in the French Quarter is within walking distance of the Monteleone and much else is within an easy taxi ride. If you really want to do a trip out to the plantations or elsewhere, you can rent a car for the day or just take a bus tour. There are lots of options.

Hotels in New Orleans do not offer free airport transfers, and very few offer any kind of transfer. Take a taxi or get a regular shuttle.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:36 AM

One of the coolest things about the Monteleone is the rooftop. Head up there at sunset for a glass of wine and it will be a treat for all of you.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:25 PM

Taxi is a set rate between the airport and the FQ - I think it is $33 for 2 people.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM

The taxi from the airport is $33 for one or two people, plus $14 per person for the third and any additional people.

What's near the Monteleone? EVERYTHING is near the Monteleone. My two cents:

Food:
-Mother's is nothing special. I'm over it.
-The muffaletta at Central Grocery is an above-average italian deli sandwich. Good, but I don't think it's worth waiting on line for.
-Cafe du Monde's beignets are every bit as good as the hype.
-Napoleon House is a wonderful place, but the food is lousy. Have a Pimm's Cup and soak up the ambience.
-For Cajun food, add Cochon to your list. It's a bit of a walk from the Quarter, but not too far. Walk over on Tchoupitoulas if it's dark out. They also have a great high-end sandwich place around the corner called Cochon Butcher. Open until about 2 AM, I think.

Jazz:
-Irvin Mayfield's, in the Royal Sonesta Hotel, right around the corner from the Monteleone. Good bands, nice comfy high-end setting, no cover. There's another Irvin Mayfield's in the J.W. Marriott on Canal Street that has even better and more famous bands, but charges a cover.
-Spotted Cat. Also on Frenchmen, but a totally different vibe. Very divey (but safe), no cover, classic old-timey New Orleans jazz bands, no seats, lots of jitterbugging.
-Royal Street on a weekend day or night. Always lots of bands playing on the street, some good, some lousy, all free. I see a lot of good old-time jazz bands playing in front of the steps of the LA Supreme Court lately. Two blocks uptown from the Monteleone!

Any lover of New Orleans music, of any genre, should consider taking a walk down Frenchmen just to soak up the tunes wafting out of all of the music clubs there. You'll usually hear at least a couple of brass bands, playing either in clubs or in the street. For maximum safety and comfort, walk down to Frenchmen and back on Decatur Street, which is always well-populated. If you take Royal or Bourbon, for example, you'll find it pretty deserted at night.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:52 PM

Oops, I said two blocks uptown from the Monteleone, but I meant downtown. I guess you would have figured that out pretty quickly.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic, Hawksbill...thanks tons!!
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

I was looking at the claendar for our week, and see that the Oyster Festival is at that time...Is this an event worth taking time to attend? We are big seafood fans and enjoy opportunities to attend festivals and such.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:34 AM

I've never been to the Oyster Festival (or even heard of it until you mentioned it). So I'll leave others to comment on the festival. But you'll be very close, so you may as well wander by and at least check it out. I can say that there are some excellent, A-list bands that will be playing on the main stage.
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

This is good news hawksbill! If we get over there, I will definitely write back about it.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:54 PM

I'm also not impressed by Mother's. Camellia Grill (original) is fun and you can take the street car and see all the beautiful homes in the Garden District. You might want to check out Yelp and Urbanspoon.

As mentioned above, you can stand outside Preservation Hall and listen to the music for awhile. Also Audobon Park is a great place to walk around and just chill. You can take the Algiers ferry across the river for free...good way to see the city from the water and not empty your wallet!

You actually DON'T WANT a car in the quarter. Parking will kill you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -