Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Colorado Trip in October -Rocky Mountain NP Closed - Other Ideas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/colorado-trip-in-october-rocky-mountain-np-closed-other-ideas-991964/)

Letsgothere Sep 15th, 2013 03:30 PM

Colorado Trip in October -Rocky Mountain NP Closed - Other Ideas?

Hi All,

First my heart goes out to all the people in Colorado that have been flooded. I live in Iowa and we had some awful flooding a number of years ago. The clean up is hard and long! My hopes and prayers for everyone that has been affected!

My husband has a business trip to Breckenbridge, CO in early October. I am going with him and we were going to stay in Estes Park and see Rocky Mountain National Park after his business was done. Basically we have a Thursday afternoon, Friday, and Saturday. On Saturday night , we plan to stay near the Denver airport for our flight the next morning.

People have been told to stay away from Estes Park and Rocky Mountain NP has closed. So I am looking for ideas on where to go.

We enjoy hiking, scenic drives, good food, and wildlife. We planned to stay in hotels. We have been to Mesa Verde and spent some time in Denver on previous trips.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandy

sylvia3 Sep 15th, 2013 03:49 PM

From Brek, go through Leadville, then over Independence Pass into the Aspen area and then Glenwood (back through the canyon via I70). Some of the most spectacular aspen viewing in those areas, and you'll probably be peak season; make reservations!

sylvia3 Sep 15th, 2013 03:50 PM

p.s. Check out the Grottos on Independence Pass when you get close to Aspen.

emalloy Sep 15th, 2013 05:49 PM

Hop on I-70 and head west, you could be in Moab in a few hours, hike in Arches and/or Canyonlands.

fmpden Sep 15th, 2013 06:17 PM

RNMP and Estes Park is a dead issue. The probability of any access to that area by the first of Oct is very low. Sylvia3's suggestions are good. Going to Moab is more than a little crazy. Who wants to spend ten, twelve hours in a car?

There are some excellent restaurants in Vail and Aspen. You need to watch the weather for Independence Pass as the first serious snow fall will close it for the winter. But it is a great drive.

You might want to look at some of the discussion under -
Denver/Colorado Spring/Estes Park Sept 23rd - 27th in the US Forum.

Tabernash2 Sep 15th, 2013 06:35 PM

Another local who suggests Leadville- Independence Pass- Aspen- Glenwood Springs- Denver.

You only have 2 nights before one night in Denver. Personally, I'd choose both nights in Aspen, because we love it there. It is an easy drive Aspen-to-Denver (barring freaky weather).

Hez Sep 15th, 2013 08:19 PM

I'll third the Leadville-Independance Pass- Aspen route. The Grotto is a good idea along the way. Early Oct. you might be lucky and still have some foliage at Maroon Bells. Moab is just not a good idea at all.

tidy Sep 15th, 2013 08:44 PM

Instead of staying in Aspen you could stay in Redstone, a charming town about an hour from Aspen. Nearby is also Carbondale and Glenwood. We love Redstone! YOu could stay at the Inn and on the weekends you are able to tour the Redston Castle and also at the Avalanche Ranch you could go to the hot springs, not as big but very nice. you would need a reservation. There is plenty of good hiking. Then do Aspen as a day trip. Marble is also a nice day trip. Enjoy. WE are so sad about Rocky Mt National Park, our big backyard playground.

Letsgothere Sep 16th, 2013 09:09 AM

Thanks for your help! We are going to do the Leadville- Independence Pass- Aspen- Glenwood Springs route. I will keep an eye on the weather for possible closure of the pass. Also I will look at Redstone for a possible base instead of Aspen.

Love Arches National Park (been there twice) but is way too far for the limited time that we have available.

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Sandy