Colorado Summer trip - NEED HELP!

Jun 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Colorado Summer trip - NEED HELP!

We are leaving in three days for a 10 day stent in Colorado. Flying into Denver in the morning and spending the 1st day/night in the city. We know we want to see the following, but need help determining a route and filling in days.

- Mt. Evans (Idaho Springs)
- Garden of the Gods (Col. Springs)
- Great Sand Dunes NP
- Great Rocky Mtn NP/Estes Park (coming from west side route, Granby, etc.)

We love to hike, and have already been to Estes several times in the fall. Our 12 year old daughter is traveling with us, and wants to have some "fun"...not ride all day. I've considered hot springs, but she may think that's boring...maybe tubing somewhere! We want to do a rafting trip. Already have a tent night reserved in Moraine Park in GRMNP for 6/28, so need to work around that date too. Thought about Steamboat Springs area, but doesn't look like much. A lot of people are recommending Telluride or Crested Butte.

ANY advise on time for travel between locals and what to see in this short time would be SO appreciated!! Thanks!!
Jun 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Durango ,though a long drive from Denver area, would be way. Ore fun for your daughter than Telluride. River to tube on , lake where you can rent a pontoon boat, and lots more.
Jun 20th, 2012, 07:24 AM

I think you might have to head south to the Springs and the Sand Dunes, and then head up to RMNP for your reservation. Spend some time in the Park and head over on Trail Ridge Road.
There is certainly plenty to do heading west on i70 to Breck and Glenwood Springs.
Doing the Springs and the Dunes makes for backtracking pretty good distances because of the tent reservation.
I know others will have good ideas such as zip lines. I'd prefer going to Leadville over Steamboat or Crested Butte, etc.
Jun 20th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. Def want to avoid backtracking. Tent reservation was only $20 so I don't really care now if we miss it! What is in Leadville to do/see? We traveled thru there once, but it was late in day.

Search this Thread