Colorado Springs in August for a Family of 6

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado Springs in August for a Family of 6

We are considering taking our family of six (wife and I and 4 boys, ages 7 to 15) to Colorado this August. We would most likely drive from Kansas City and use Colorado Springs as a base for the first part of our trip as we do the normal tourist things in that area (Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, Cave of the Winds, Pikes Peak, Air Force Academy, U.S. Olympic Training Center, Flying W Ranch).

First question: Is 3 full days (M,Tu,W) enough time to do those 7 things? I'm considering checking in at Colorado Springs on Sunday, 8/3, and checking out on Thursday, 8/7.

Second question: If we were also taking in a Rockies game and doing Elitch Gardens amusement park, could we do those easily enough from our Colorado Springs base? Even if we fly, we will rent a vehicle so we would have a vehicle with us.

Third question (and honestly, the one I need the most help with): Can anyone suggest accomodations for a family of six for around $200 or less per night in the Colorado Springs area? We would need 3 beds but not necessarily 3 bedrooms and we could live with only 1 bathroom for our short stay. No pets will be accompanying us. We can extend our planned 4-night stay to 5-nights to meet a 5-night minimum stay requirement if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- Rob
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:42 AM

Have you considered going to a Colorado Springs Sky Sox game instead of going to see the Rockies? We chanced upon the Sky Sox a few years ago with our kids and had a fabulous time at the game. They've got a nice stadium; it was easy to drive to; the tickets were inexpensive; they often had fun promotions; and we find the minor league games more fun to watch.
If the schedule works out, you could stay in town to see a ball game and, thus, have more time for sightseeing.
P.S. I think you'd be rushed trying to do all you have planned in 3 days. We only did Garden of the Gods, AF Academy and U.S. Olympic Training Center and it took us about 3 - 4 hours for each of them.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:40 AM

I'll be interested to read the replies. Good question!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:10 AM

We went there with our kids a few years ago. I think you may want an extra day, especially if you are taking one of those days to drive into Denver for Elitch Gardens (which they will love). I'd highly recommend horseback riding in Garden of the Gods (or hiking, if you don't like riding) and riding the cog railway up Pikes Peak. We stayed at an Embassy Suites in CO Springs. It would have 3 beds, if you count a sofa bed as one. Also, very nice breakfast included. We've also stayed in Manitou Springs, which is a nice little smaller town there right close to Pikes Peak. I can't remember the motel's name.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

I did NOT realize Colorado Springs had a minor league baseball team. My family likes all baseball but especially the major and minor leagues, and college levels so we'll be sure to check that out also.

The activities in Denver would be on additional days -- I'm trying to decide if we should move to a hotel more to the north of Denver (or maybe even in downtown Denver itself) or just extend our stay in Colorado springs.

I had considered Embassy Suites but their website was having problems (or at least I was having problems with it) but it's working today and their rates are definitely what we were looking for. Thanks for that suggestion.

-- Rob
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Rob -

I'm a former Colorado Springs native - I go home once or twice a year. I always stay at the Bradford Homesuites, which is in the process of changing to Summerfield Suites. Their rates are reasonable and they offer an assortment of bedding options. If space is an issue, you might consider two rooms next to one another. Their rooms have full kitchen facilities and high speed internet access. There's a laundry room on site and breakfast is included in the rate. It's not fancy, but it's a good option for families and extended stays.

Bradford Homesuites/Summerfield Suites is located right off of I-25 near Rockrimmon and Delmonico. It's a short hop to Garden of the Gods Road, from which you can easily access some of the sites you're interested in.

In the same area you'll find an Extended Stay America and a Crestwood Suites. They're both located off I-25 in the Corporate Drive area. Convenient location with easy I-25 and Garden of the Gods Road access.

While you're in the area, you might want to check out Marigold Bakery on Centennial Road - great food.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Oops... meant to say former Colorado Springs resident, Colorado native...you get my drift
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Rob - also from kc here, and we go to colorado several times a year and while the colorado springs area is ok, we'd much rather spend time up in the Estes Park / RMNP area or further west around salida.

Pikes Peak is cool, but I personally found cave of the winds boring (its another cave if you've been to one...). Garden of the gods is cool.

Have you considered driving to royal gorge or spending a night further west more 'in the mountains'?

Its kind of late in the year, but you might still be able to raft the arkansas river too if its not too low. Very fun...

Also, if you kids have been to many amusement parks, elitch gardens is one of the lamer ones I've been to. Worlds of Fun is as good if not better than Elitch. Elitch is a bit on the small side. If they haven't ventured much outside Worlds of Fun, they will enjoy it...if you've been to orlando or to bigger six flags (stl, dallas, etc), you will be very disappointed.

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM
MaureenB

I recommend you stay in the mountains, rather than Colorado Springs. There are so many mountain towns that are fun in the summertime, and it would be so different than your home in Kansas City.

Mind if I ask, is there a reason you don't want to stay in the mountains?
>-

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

No Maureen, I don't mind. First, let me say, that I did not say I don't want to stay in the mountains. In fact, I will probably do two more nights in the Denver metropolitan area beyond what I am planning on staying in the Colorado Springs area and those nights may very well be in the mountains (of course, the issue there is many places have a minimum stay in the summertime of more than 2 nights).

The main reason that I was planning on staying in the Colorado Springs area is because most of the activities we are leaning towards are located in that area. A secondary reason is that there is a possibility that we will be returning to Colorado in a future summer for a baseball tournament in Steamboat Springs at which time I imagine we will be staying in the mountains (if not at Steamboat Springs, at least close to it).

-- Rob
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
MaureenB

". . .probably do two more nights in the Denver metropolitan area . . . and those nights may very well be in the mountains"

Just to clarify, Rob, the Denver metro area does not include any mountain towns. Even Golden wouldn't be included in that description.

If you get the chance to visit Steamboat in the near future, that's a fun trip, for sure. (Not too many places 'close to' Steamboat to stay.) But, what if that trip doesn't happen, and you don't get to return to Colorado soon?

I just personally recommend the mountain locations for vacation destinations in August, rather than the foothills areas or cities. It will be hot in the flatlands!
>-

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 08:08 AM

For a family, a condo rental would be very practical and also very inexpensive at summer rates. Try www.vrbo.com. Click on Colorado and then on the town in which you'd like to stay.