Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Colorado/Smokers Beware (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/colorado-smokers-beware-230775/)

cokiser Jun 13th, 2002 08:40 AM

Colorado/Smokers Beware

People are asked to report anyone who tosses a lighted cigarette butt out their car window, she said. They are requested to try to get the license plate number and a description of the person driving the car so police can locate and cite them.<BR><BR>People caught will be cited with reckless endangerment, a Class 3 misdemeanor punishable by a fine of between $50 and $750 and/or a jail sentence of six months later. The district attorney's office will most likely throw the book at offenders, said assistant DA Mark Hurlbert.<BR><BR>Smoking is banned at all Summit and Eagle county ski resorts.<BR>

Good Jun 13th, 2002 09:09 AM

I am glad. Smokers pollute the air for everyone else. Let them smoke in their own home, and that is it. As far as I am concerned, it is treated like being nude. Inside your home is your choice, but outside is indecent exposure.

Lynn Jun 13th, 2002 09:13 AM

Well, "Good," while I happen to agree with you, I think it has a lot more to do with the wildfires currently burning in Colorado than with any concern about second-hand smoke. But whatever the reason, I agree--good!<BR>

xxx Jun 13th, 2002 09:14 AM

do you ever read the news "Good"? If so, you may have noticed a story or two about a little fire that is going on outside Denver. The restrictions are because of fire danger in Colorado, not because smokers are polluting the air.

anon Jun 13th, 2002 09:23 AM

Well, I think Good had it right. That fire is a big smoker that's polluting the air for everyone else. If they had contained that fire inside someone's house, all tose people wouldn't have to suffer the indecent exposure to all that second hand smoke.

cokier Jun 13th, 2002 09:24 AM

Agree that no matter the reason it is good. Throwing cig butts out the window is rude and illegal, has been for a long time but now they WILL enforce. Ppl in Colorado WILL turn you in if they see it happening. <BR><BR>Just want to get the word out that if you smoke you MUST be careful. You will get no sympathy from anyone in this state if you violate the ban and most likely a heafty fine. <BR><BR>I am not anti-smokers just anti reckless/thoughtless smokers. <BR><BR>If you know of anyone traveling to my state please send them a copy. Not just to smokers but to all so that they too can keep an eye out. <BR><BR>Thanks.

good Jun 13th, 2002 09:43 AM

Maybe the reason is to prevent more fires, but I like the idea of not repealing this law once the fires go away.<BR><BR>I would rather smell someone's fart than their stinking cigarette.

get you butt out of my space Jun 13th, 2002 09:48 AM

bottom line, smokers can kill people one way or another.

Hoosier Jun 13th, 2002 10:25 AM

Wanted to chime in and say a very similar law was recently passed in Indiana. As of July 1, (date law goes ionto affect) it will be illegal to throw cigarette butts out of vehicles whether moving or not. Not sure what class offenxse it is. But they are talking about it a lot on the news and apparently it will be strictly enforced an will be a primary offense. FYI some offenses such as lack of a seatbelt are secondary offenses meaning that you cannot pull someone over for not having on a seatbelt but if they are pulled over for another reason (a primary offense) they can thenm be cited secondarily.<BR><BR>The reasoning in Indiana is different thought. there is no problem with forest fires but a huge litter problem on the interstate from butts. Additionally the state legislator who was backing the bill apparently had an encounter where he driving down the road with the window down and the car in front of him threw out a butt that was not extinguished and it flew in this guys car and landed on his lap, very dangerous!

smoker Jun 13th, 2002 10:30 AM

Well I must admit, while driving through your beautiful state last week on a cross country drive, I did throw my butts out the window along I-70 and route 6. Oops. Well it was nice passing through.........

mj Jun 13th, 2002 11:26 AM

To "good" and other ham-handed smoke Nazis,<BR><BR>I fail to understand what you folks hope to accomplish by denigrating people still afflicted with the habit.<BR><BR>If you've walked a mile in a smoker's shoes, you would know that smoking is frightfully addictive and most would give it up immediately if they could.<BR><BR>The indignant tone of your "message" only serves to make some smokers turn away; others would like to punch your lights out (verbally or physically). In the end, you accomplishs nothing to alleviate your problem or theirs'.<BR><BR>BTW, I quit smoking ~15 years ago. Today, I still feel sorry for smokers but have no time for people like "good" and their kind. The "noise" in their signal is off the scale.

smoker Jun 13th, 2002 11:30 AM

I agree.....I hate it when people turn the wildfire thing into a smoker's fault. I think that since Colorado drivers have so much time on their hands to get the license plate number, write it down, call the police, and tell them about the driver, they should be out helping put out the fires.<BR><BR>

coskier Jun 13th, 2002 11:40 AM

Please this post was not a smoker Vs non-smoker thread. <BR>It’s a warning to those that would thoughtlessly discard their cigs out the window. The consequences of this is our very dry state could be devastating.<BR><BR>Please spread the word that the penalties of such action carry a heavy price. <BR><BR>Ignore smoker please, he is just trolling. <BR><BR>

Lenleigh Jun 13th, 2002 11:44 AM

Actually the reason why the smoking ban came up is because of a story on the news yesterday(Denver News). A family near the big fire was getting ready to evacuate their home, someone drove by and said "hey, did you know your front yard is on fire" They were able to put it out. They think it started from someone smoking in a car that threw their cigarette butt out the window. Weather it be stupid campers or careless smokers, it is a big issue right now. They even reported a group of teens in summit county had a bon fire going last night that was blowing ash all over.

travellyn Jun 13th, 2002 11:45 AM

The Colorado law is about survival and protection of property, not morality. People who take action to stop cigarette butts being thrown out the window ARE helping fight fires. People can still smoke in their cars if they use their ashtrays.

coskier Jun 13th, 2002 11:55 AM

travellyn, exactly!, Lenleigh hard to believe that ppl can be that stupid.

unbelievable Jun 13th, 2002 01:45 PM

You smokers will justify your habit no matter who gets killed. I can not believe you brag about throwing out your cigarettes and starting fires. You are very very sick.

noyoureunbelievable Jun 13th, 2002 02:16 PM

Unbelievable, you are unbelievably ignorant to accuse ALL smoker's of being careless and killer's. Give me a break and get a life. You are definately a Troll and more than likely have a few vices of your own. You're probably pounding them down now as you sit on your computer.Grow up and get a clue. <BR>A NON-SMOKER

tj Jun 13th, 2002 03:59 PM

Smokers,<BR>Please explain why you believe you have the right to through your butts out the window?<BR><BR>If these are too dirty and smelly to keep in your car why do you think anyone else would want them?<BR><BR>They litter the highway and yes are a fire hazard in dry areas.<BR><BR>I hope this law comes east.

kima Jun 14th, 2002 06:03 AM

Some phone numbers for those interested<BR><BR>Summit County Sheriff's Office 970-453-2232, includes towns of Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper, Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne.<BR><BR>Colorado State Patrol 303.239.4500 <BR><BR><BR>tj, good question. <BR><BR>La Plata County Sheriff's Office<BR>Durango 970-385-2900. <BR><BR>Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office<BR>Littleton, Colorado (303) 734-5101<BR><BR>Weld County Sheriffs Office 970-356-4015<BR><BR>