Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Colorado skiing----best snow in Mar/Apr???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/colorado-skiing-best-snow-in-mar-apr-252807/)

Kristin Aug 25th, 2002 12:46 AM

Colorado skiing----best snow in Mar/Apr????

Starting to do some spring break research. Is Summit County the best best for good snow at the end of March beginning of April? Considering Crested Butte and Telluride, but am concerned about snow conditions then. Any experts out there? Thanks.

Andy Aug 25th, 2002 01:09 AM

Keystone has snow in MAR/APRIL, as does Breckenridge and Arapahor Basin ( which is the highest point for skiing).<BR><BR>A Basin has been know to have snow into JUNE

Gretchen Aug 25th, 2002 04:04 AM

There will probably be lots of snow. By mid-April some have to close because they are in national forest land.

Steph Aug 25th, 2002 05:20 AM

We experienced the biggest "dump" (of snow) of the year so we were told once when we skied Copper Mountain end of March/first of April. It snowed every day the week we were there. Although it often snowed only at night. We also had many sunny days. You can't always rely on that, but we've skiied many times during that time period in Summit County and had great snow. Don't know about Crested Butte & Telluride which are NOT in Summit County.

gb Aug 25th, 2002 06:54 PM

There hasn't been a "normal"seson in a few years. Most of the areas stay open until about April 7th. The higher (in elevation) the area, the better there will be good snow. We tend to get lots of snow in April, but it also gets warm during the day, making it slushy. My experience has been that Crested Butte is not that great the last week (in the beginning of April). Slushy and slow. March is best. I haven't been to Telluride, so I don't know. Vail tends to do well in late season because of it's many higher slopes. Copper is pretty good too in April. All areas, if there is a normal winter are usually good through March. If you locate yourself in Summit County, you can select from several areas. If it is warm, then go to Arapahoe Basin because it is higher. In any case, CB and Telluride are no where near Summit County.

Lenleigh Aug 25th, 2002 07:43 PM

March is the best month for snow although we are in a drought right now and it is hard to tell what this winter will be like. Some predict we won't get much snow but I have heard some news lately that it could be a record winter. I hope for the later since we really need the water. I have not skied Telluride but was there this summer and was told it is over-rated. I have skied Purgatory which is over 60 miles away and there was hardly any snowfall at that time. I prefer Keystone and Breck but have never seen better powder than the time I went to Beavercreek.You would probably find better skiing conditions at Crested Butte than Telluride.

Kristin Aug 27th, 2002 12:24 PM

Thanks for the info----my question wasn't worded too well 'cus I do realize that CB and Tell. are not in Summit Co. We were in CB last Mar/Apr. and the snow was just OK, but we still had a great time. We are considering going back to CB, or maybe trying Telluride, but wondered if the Summit Co. resorts could be banked on for more snow at that time. I'm still open for people's opinions--thanks much!

Les Aug 27th, 2002 12:48 PM

Kristin,<BR>The snow at most resorts in late March and April is definitely "Spring" skiing (a bit slushy late in the day, but some people like that).<BR>However, the snow at Arapahoe Basin and Loveland Basin is generally better in both the early and late ski seasons, as these areas are at a higher elevation.<BR>Bear in mind that although you can use the Summit shuttle busses (or, of course, a car) to get to these areas, they are not "destination" areas, and you'll have to find lodging elsewhere (perhaps Dillon or Frisco). If this is not a problem for you, that's where you'll find the best spring skiing.