Search

Colorado Resort Suggestions for Large Extended Family Summer '08

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 05:36 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado Resort Suggestions for Large Extended Family Summer '08

Help! I have been around the USA myself, but some of my children/spouses have not and are basically non-travelers. Can you give me ideas of a waterpark/resort with national park or great outdoors areas close by (not driving more than an hour)that would be doable flying from Chicago airports next July.

I google and see so much but it all looks like we would be on driving caravans. I want something that is not camping or basics (YMCA of the Rockies system seem too basic/sparse)?

Help me with suggestions. Smallest child will be 5, and oldest 13 (5 total)and 7 or 8 adults minimum.

I hope the weekend people can help me. I'll be back to answer on Monday or later. THANKS!

Colorado in summer has not been in my life experience. I've been in winter at least 4 times.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:32 AM

We have gone to YMCA of the rockies when our kids were young and they loved it. the accommodations are cabins from 2 bdrm. basic to 2 story 5 bdrm. Very clean and updated. The grounds and activities make it tough to beat. Horseback riding, put put golf course, fishing,concerts, rollerskating,scavenger hunts, marshmallow roast hayrides. They have a huge arts and crafts center, indoor pool, fantastic library and of course you are at the entrance to Rocky Mountain national park. We have taken a 2 year old on the simple hikes but they can get as serious as your group can handle. The kids have to be outdoor types and not need to be constantly entertained to be happy. It is truly an old fashioned family time vacation. Enjoy!!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I agree, some of the accommodations, esp. Snow Mountain RAnch on the western side (near Tabernash/Winter Park) are like houses, and the locations can't be beat..
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:51 AM

DH's family has had their family reunions several times at Redstone Inn in Redstone,CO. They have a pool and the food is good. You can take jeep tours to an old ghost town or hike. Glenwood Hotsprings Pool is about 30 minutes away.

The kids (from 1 to college age)enjoy the pool and walking down "main street" to get ice cream.

It can be very peaceful and relaxing.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM

You might also check out the large condo places near the major ski resorts; they often have reduced prices with great amenities (including things to do on the mountain); e.g., if you stayed in Winter Park, there's the western mountain (bikes, trails, horses)stuff plus Rocky Mt. National Park pretty close; pick a complex with a heated pool and views!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM

JJ5, let me be the first to say:

I'm jealous!!! ;-)

Sounds like a wonderful escape for your entire family. I'll be watching this threads for ideas.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Well, I've talked to the one (non-traveler segment)pivotal bunch and I think we are definitely Colorado and that the YMCA of the Rockies may be the exact choice.

Snow Mountain Ranch sounds wonderful.

If anyone has any more exact resort ideas, especially in the Glenwood Springs area (lodge/water park pool look like something this group would revel in)- please post them.

I'm open to any other ideas for Colorado as well. It would be mid-July 2008.

BayouGal, I sure am going to try- and will consider myself upteem lucky if all participate.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 09:59 PM
MaureenB

Snow Mountain Ranch is extremely popular for family reunions. They book up very far in advance, so you might want to see if they have availability for your group next summer.

There are also nice ranches in Colorado you could consider.

Or what about flying to Aspen? It's beautiful there in the summer, and prices are reasonable. The Gant is a nice condo/hotel near central Aspen.
>-

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:17 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks, MaureenB, I have been to Aspen in the winter, and I did have a great time. It was with a ski club.

I'm open to all Colorado ranch ideas as well.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:59 PM

Hi JJ5,
We just spent two nights in Glenwood Springs at the Hot Springs Lodge as part of our 3 week road trip. We'd been really excited and were somewhat disappointed. On a previous trip we stayed at the Hotel Colorado; i wouldn't stay at either again. We did see a family reunion at the Lodge and overheard the ladies and teen girls say they were driving to Aspen (40 minutes) to shop.

However, as much as we enjoyed the hotsprings pool, we were disappointed in the lack of other activities. The only stables were closed. We did mountain biking, fun and relatively easy, but it followed I70 for much of the way. The side hike to the lake was beautiful, though!

There are very few shops within walking distance and most were closed after dinner. We had two great dinners, one at the brewery and one at an italian place (name escapes me, will do a TR soon)

So IMO, your family reunion sounds too special to spend it there. Also, its much more than an hours drive to Denver's airport.

I'm sure you'll find just the right place and i wish you the best time!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

LOL!

I think I am looking for Sunnybrook Farm Western Style, and that to tell you the truth, it probably hasn't existed since about 1975.

Any Sunnybrooker's out there who have gone West?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM
MaureenB

There are lots of guest/dude ranches in the West. If you Google, you can find associations that will refer you to particular ranches. One near Grand Lake, Colorado, is the C Lazy U.

You can find your Sunnybrook Farm, if you try.
>-

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM
MaureenB

http://www.coloradoranch.com/index.cfm

I did a quick Google and found this website. It has a map showing the ranches in their association, and you can click on them for pictures and details. There are lots of choices that look great. Many have pools, tennis, hiking trails, fishing, etc., and horses, of course.

There are similar websites for Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, etc.

(The C Lazy U I mentioned above seems to be on the more expensive end of the spectrum, I think.)

Have fun planning.
>-

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM

My family, 8 adults 40-70 yrs., and 8 kids 3-15 yrs, had a family reunion in Breckenridge 15 years ago. We rented condos and enjoyed hiking, rafting, fishing, touring nearby ghost town, horseback riding, biking, shopping in the town, ski slope slides and a chuck wagon dinner at the Keystone resort. Awesome time. Wherever you decide to go I would start my search for rentals at VRBO.com. You probably could find a big home to accomodate you all which would facilite a lot of interaction between the families. Have a great time!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM

In Estes Park you are so close to RMNP. If you don't mind splitting up into 2 places, I can recommend a few. There are 2 cabins close together, each sleeps 10 or 11 and they are in a great location and wonderful properties. I have stayed in one of them and have seen the inside of the other. They are both on this property management website that we've used--www.keytoestespark.com. #3 and #14. Good luck.

Sue
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Now the most adventurous among us has developed a nearly lethal allergy to horses and horse hair. Honestly it is HARD picking a place for this many people.

I think we are going to go South or North instead of West now because of that and a few other $$ factors, but thanks everyone.

I will see Estes Park and RMNP myself before long. The first year I retire they are in the picture for that summer.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Lane Guest Ranch near Estes Park/RMNP or one of the ski areas...Breckinridge or Aspen.