Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Colorado Mtn Towns in Winter- Buena Vista or Durango?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody me and my family will be headed up to Colorado this year for our 2015 Christmas trip on Dec.24th - Jan 3rd. We will be driving up from Texas and wanted to get your input on which town we should stay at for our trip during this time, Buena Vista or Durango? In our group we will have 5 adults and 4 kids (ages of 4-16). Not knowing the area as well as I would like, what town would you prefer over the other and why? Special event one may have ? Or certain attractions that may be closed for the season? Any Help would be very much appreciated !!

Also on a side note we have been to CO before, but never during the winter time. If you have any tips or helpful notes for travel during this time, please fire those away too

- Chris
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 10:49 AM

I would chose Durango. Nice old cowboy town which will look beautiful in the snow. The Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge railroad is an amazing ride thru the mountains and it is open in December. Also you are only 35 miles away from Mesa Verde National Park which would be very interesting and pretty in the winter. There will also be some small side trips around Durango but there will be plenty of fun things to do there.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 02:03 PM

How did Buena Vista get on your radar? Barely a wide spot in the road. They are not comparable towns. About the only thing going for BV is white water rafting which will be pretty cold at Christmas. And they are not even close to the same area.

Go with Durango. Has much more to offer plus being a much larger city and area.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 02:09 PM

Another thought. I would approach Durango from the south and avoid Wolf Creek pass from the east. If the weather is bad Wolf Creek could require real snow tires or chains. All weather tire are not acceptable and I am sure someone from Texas does not have true snow tires.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 03:27 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the same question about Buena Vista. How did you pick that one?

I also agree about the route. Drive up from the south. The drive from Santa Fe is lovely via high desert but you won't have to deal with the curvy mountain road coming from the east. I've gone to Durango several times in the winter and love it!