Reload this Page >

Colorado in early to mid-June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 09:10 AM
Mary

Hi - We'll be visiting Colorado from 6/2 thur 6/13--will we be able to hike in mtns. or will there still be too much snow & mtn. tops inaccessible-roads closed? Have already visited Mesa Verde & Durango areas so will be concentrating on Denver,parks, & towns (& train rides) in general area. How about great places to stay & eat in Denver, Georgetown, Leadville? Any help would be most appreciated to help us better enjoy this glorious part of our country!!! Many thanks.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 12:23 PM
larry

There will still be snow in the very high country (12,000+) but pretty spotty below that. Of course, I've been snowed on over 4th of July so there are no absolutes. Generally, the roads & trails will be open except for very high elevations & the odd snow storm. Try to catch the Cumbres & Toltec Narrow Gage out of Antonito, OC or Chama, NM.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 04:39 PM
Bob Brown

In my experience, there will be a lot of snow on the trails above 9,500 feet in many places. We were in Rocky Mountain National Park once and there were extensive snow fields to traverse. The condition depends on whether or not the trail crews have gotten to them yet.
They were shovelling away on the trail up to Mount Hallet, so we got up there fine.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 05:03 PM
Dayle

Note: CO snowpack is WAY below normal this year. You should have the start of some nice wildflowers.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 01:16 PM
jayne

You should be able to do some great hiking in the foothills at that time of the year. There are some lovely trails in the country around Evergreen, Golden or Boulder. Tons of restaurants in the Denver area of course. If you e-mail me with the kind of food you're looking for, I'd probably have suggestions.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 02:50 PM
Mark

Mary, I am an avid backpacker and will be out several times before June. You cannot predict what the weather will be like, but the snow level has been much lower this year than normal, you will be ok. Let me know what type of hike you are intersted in and I will suggest a few. Include your desires distance and what toughness. Do you plna to spend the night out or just do day hikes? How easy do they need to be? On stayin in Denver, Stay downtown if you like the great food party, people scene. It is reasonably safe for a big city. There is a trinride to Winterpark, CO that is great in the winter. I do not know if they continue it through the summer. Check out www.westword.com and www.diveindenver.com or email me.
Mark

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 03:39 AM
Mike Rose

Dear Mary:
Try this address:
http://rose-group.com/p6.htm
Mike Rose

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 11:16 AM
Bly

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 11:26 AM
Bly

Mary: I live in Avon, CO - 7500+' in elevation. While it has been a low snow year, at this elevation or higher, you may still need snowshoes in June particularly the Leadville area. Leadvilles at about 11000'. We have been getting snow every couple days here - and if it continues, it'll be a mudpit in June. If you want a update a little closer in or more info on the Vail, Beaver Creek area, e-mail me direct. b