Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Colorado 4x4 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/colorado-4x4-237134/)

Paul Jul 6th, 2002 07:58 AM

Colorado 4x4

Traveling next week from Cortez, through Telluride, Crested Butte, Aspen, Vail and Winter Park. We have just a normal 4x4 Ford Explorer. I'm not up for any hair raising experiences but would like to travel some out of the way places/passes. We'll probably drive the pass NW of Crested Butte and Independence Pass between Aspen and Leadville. Any other ideas?<BR>Thanks.

Connie Jul 6th, 2002 09:38 AM

Go to Ouray. It is known for its's 4x4 trails. A big deal in Ouray is renting Jeeps and doing the drives.

Donna F Jul 7th, 2002 05:51 AM

here's a photo essay/jeep tour about the area you are visiting. Be sure you check the suitability of any trails if you are driving a normal 4x4 since I noted that one vehicle got a slashed tire on shale and if going alone is safe considering trail conditions. Especially if you don't have a winch.

Paul Jul 7th, 2002 08:52 AM

Donna,<BR>Did you mean to put a weblink in your post?<BR>Thanks.

travellyn Jul 7th, 2002 09:20 AM

Don't miss Telluride, but then head a few miles south to Ophir Pass. It crosses the mountains from Ophir to just north of Silverton. It's very rocky and narrow, but only hair-raising if you meet someone coming the other way and try to pass each other without a pull-out. I've seen someone drive it in a Neon - it doesn't require special 4x4 skills. (Unfortunately for your route, east to west is easier than west to east, but I've driven it in an old jeep.) If you head north from there, you get the best of the Million Dollar Highway from Silverton to Ouray.

Paul Jul 7th, 2002 10:02 AM

Thanks! Might just try that. How long does the drive take?

Connie Jul 7th, 2002 10:10 AM

There are special maps just for four wheeling the area.<BR><BR>Also, check with locals in the know. Some roads are too dangerous for inexperienced four wheelers. Some of these roads are not just gravel roads (versus paved roads). They can be tough and dangerous.

travellyn Jul 7th, 2002 11:24 AM

It's been a while, but I think Ophir Pass takes about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on how often you have to pull over and wait.

xxx Jul 7th, 2002 02:27 PM

Get a copy of the book called "Colorado Backroads & Four Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells. Everything from family fun runs to hard core challenges. Wells has also written a great one for Moab, Utah.

Donna F Jul 7th, 2002 02:30 PM

Sorry Paul!<BR>http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/am4x44u/trails/telluride/<BR><BR>Nice story and pics. Have a great trip!

gbindenver Jul 7th, 2002 08:27 PM

What pass NW of Crested Butte? Kebler Pass? If so, you don't really need a four wheel drive vehicle because it is a graded dirt road. Beautiful ride.If you are talking Schofield Pass-don't try it -very treacherous. A nice 4WD high diversion on Kebler Pass Rd is Lost Lake or Lake Irwin. Make sure you have national forest maps, and talk to someone at a ranger station before that 4WD road because conditions change frequently. Independence Pass is a regular road. Lots of turns and hairy views, but it is paved so you don't need 4WD. A nice diversion (not 4WD) is to visit Ashcroft, a ghost town near Aspen, or take a short hike at the Grottos about nine miles east on the Independence Pass Road. There is a popular 4WD roard from Marble to Crystal. But, it can be crowded on weekends, and can be difficult. There is also a road from Marble to the Marble Quarry. Telluride area has interesting roads, but I don't know too much about them. Not much 4 wheeling that is great in the Vail area. If you find yourself near Como (near Fairplay), there is a good 4WD road over Boreas Pass to Breckenridge.

Paul Jul 8th, 2002 06:28 AM

Thanks everyone! We're leaving today. yay!