Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Colonial Williamsburg - Enough to do for a week? and How's the weather?

Aug 30th, 1999, 08:58 AM
Erin

We are thinking about spending a week in Colonial Williamsburg in late June, early July. Is there enough to keep 2 adults occupied for a week? Also, any comments on the weather at that time of year would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 30th, 1999, 09:41 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I visited a friend in graduate school numerous times in Williamsburg. We had a great time, but didn't really spend much time with the tourists (he lived in the middle of the historic recreation area). With all due respect to the other posters who rave about this place, I just don't see what's so great about it. It's certainly a nice town, but not exactly exciting.

That said, you must have an interest in it, so I won't try to dissuade you from going, but I think you're right to question whether a whole week is too long. Consider spending some time in the Outerbanks a couple hours south (if you like the beach) or DC 2-3 hours north (if you like the city).

It will be pretty warm that time of the year. Be wary of holiday rates as you may be travelling over the forth of July.

Aug 30th, 1999, 11:57 AM
stephanie

We spent 1/2-2 days in Williamsburg, and though we didn't see everything, I do think a week would be too long. It's very historically interesting, but you might want to see other places as well. We went in August and I'm from the sweaty, humid, hot midwest, and I was really hot there! It seemed that in the historic area there was never any breeze.

From there we also drove about an hour -1 1/2 hrs. to Virginia Beach just to have dinner which is a lively place in the evening, and to Norfolk to see the aircraft carriers in port - what a sight! If you haven't already, you might want to add a stop in Charlottesville to your itinerary to see Monticello. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Aug 30th, 1999, 12:53 PM
kam

Agree with all of the above. Williamsburg is very nice, but 2-3 days is plenty. Jamestown is close. Charlottesville is nice (also home of U.Va) and Mount Vernon could be a destination if you like Colonial history as could the Hunt Country and Skyline Drive near Washington, Va, Manassas,and Fredericksburg. There are many wonderful little country inns around as well as the famous Inn at Little Washington with its famous chef Patrick O'Connell. The Outer Banks are lovely, but beach time, so it depends on what you want.

Aug 31st, 1999, 11:02 AM
Lynn

Hi Erin - I live in the Hampton Roads area and there defintitely isn't enough at C.W. to keep you occupied for a week. The previous posters have given good advice for other places to visit in addition to C.W. I would like to suggest Busch Gardens and Water Country, if your travel partner like rides, etc. Very close to C.W. and a lot of fun. For shopping, check out the outlet stores in Williamsburg and a neat place called The Pottery. Sort of a flea-market type, but good finds can happen. The weather will be quite hot temperature wise. The humidity is a killer! Hope you enjoy your trip.

Aug 31st, 1999, 11:05 AM
Lynn

Ooooops, meant to type if YOU and your travel partner like rides. Just one preferring that would make for a boring time. Just ask my hubby! ;-)

Sep 1st, 1999, 10:21 AM
Lynn

Hi again Erin - Here's a website that may help you find other things to do in the area:

http://www.visitwilliamsburg.com

Sep 1st, 1999, 10:21 AM
Lynn

Hi again Erin - Here's a website that may help you find other things to do in the area:

http://www.visitwilliamsburg.com

Sep 2nd, 1999, 05:56 AM
sandy

There is lots to do in the Williamsburg area. May I recommend:
1) Buy a Patriot's Pass - you can drop in and out of CW all week and see any building without additional expense.
2) Sign up for the tour about the archealogical research being done in the Williamsburg area. (when will be in the CW paper.)
3) Plan on one or two days in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area. The boat tours of the harbor area are a relaxing way to spend an afternoon and informative. See some of the museums, about flight, coastal life saving stations, and other maritime history.
4) Plan to see some of the evening events given at CW.
5) If you plan an amusement park - Busch Gardens is a much better value than King's Dominion - better shows, better rides, and a better family atmosphere.
6) Enjoy a plantation tour or two. One is included in your Patriot's pass.
7) Check on the web for other opportunites and enjoy lots more things within an hour's drive.
I hope you do go to Williamsburg and have a wonderful time. There is much to see and the people in the area, both actors in CW and the Virginians themselves, are very friendly and kind.

Sep 2nd, 1999, 09:34 AM
lisa

1. No way -- 2-3 days max.
2. Hot and humid.