Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   College visits in New York State (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/college-visits-in-new-york-state-364061/)

pammy Oct 7th, 2003 07:46 AM

College visits in New York State

We're taking our daughter to see Syracuse University and Ithaca College at the end of October. We are looking for a relatively inexpensive (save the money for tuition) hotel for one night close to Syracuse University and the next night near Ithaca College.

We don't need anything fancy, just clean and close. Any suggestions would be terrific!

Since we're on the subject, also any restaurant recommendations would be great. I was thinking of the Moosewood while in Ithaca- any thoughts?

Thank you for your help!
Pam

Loki Oct 7th, 2003 08:51 AM

For a real local treat, Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse. It started as a Harley Bar and expanded into a very popular BBQ. I know people that travel 6 hours to eat there. If Harley types scare you then stay away but there are a lot of families there too. Inexpensive but a long wait for a table at times.

pammy Oct 8th, 2003 01:59 AM

Thanks, Loki- I pulled up the web site and it looks perfect! Lots of fun! \

I realized that we won't pull into Syracuse until about 11 pm and must be on campus about 9am-so we are really looking for a bed and shower.

The next day, we are shifting towards Ithaca College- still looking for a place for the night. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Pam

sandsea Oct 8th, 2003 05:13 AM

pammy,
Try to Sheraton University Hotel, basically in the middle of campus. SU is in the heart of Syracuse.. New hotel also opened up down the hill. Round tower called The Marx. I'm not sure of pricing at any of these hotels, just locations. I second the Dinosaur BBq suggestion. Don't let the biker rep fool you. The food is worth the wait for a table. It is small inside and very blues oriented. Live blues music on the weekends. Not familiar with Ithaca at all. Good Luck.

Owen_ONeill Oct 8th, 2003 05:29 AM

Sheraton University hotel is not cheap by Syracuse standards. The area around Carrier Circle which is adjacent to Rte 90 (NYS Thruway) exit 35 has the best selection of inexpensive, safe and clean hotels. Motel 6 is much better than they used to be now that they are owned by Accor - their Internet rate should be about $34 for two people. Microtel is close to them and runs about $50 - $54 per night but is a bit nicer.

Yes.... eat at the Dinosaur. Prepare to wait about 45 minutes to an hour for a table but it's fun and has great atmosphere. It is NOT a real biker bar - there is a core group of Harley riders who go there on occasion and the owners play up the biker/roadhouse ambaince but it's definitely a restaurant for everyone.

Ithaca: cheapest hotels will be out Rte 13 (Meadow Street) past downtown ithaca going away from the lake (out poast Wegman's grocery) - there that's decent. There's a Super 8 out there that's decent and inexpensive - more than Syracuse prices but still not bad. For a few $ more you may want to try the Collegetown Motor Lodge. It's a bit older and plainer but it's right in the heart of Collegetwon, just off the Cornell campus. I suggest Joe's restaurant - you'll wait for a table just as you must at the Dinosaur but it's worth the wait. It's at the corner of Meadow Street and Buffalo Street. very much beloved local institution with great Italian food.

If you're an espresso/coffee fan be sure to check out "Gimme! Coffee" -they're on both State Street and Cayuga Street. I'm an espresso fanatic and IMHO these guys make the best espresso drinks in the eastern US - you'd have to go to Chicgao or Seattle to get equal or better.

ethaete Oct 8th, 2003 06:04 AM

Owen -- Great suggestions to eat at Joe's in Ithaca, but unfortunatly, it closed down. I know, I cried too. The Moosewood always seems to be a favorite. Simeon's on the Commons is great too. If you're looking for a complete listing on hotels, go to www.visitithaca.com.

khmac Oct 8th, 2003 06:42 AM

When in Syracuse (my alma mater) one must have the wings at The Varsity. It is right on campus at the end of Marshall St. The Marx is a great hotel, very un-Syracuse like. Costs about $130/night. The Sheraton is right on campus and costs about the same, unless there is a football game.

pammy Oct 8th, 2003 10:27 AM

Thanks for everyone's input-I do have yet another question: an alumna of Syracuse described the area surrounding the university as less than desirable. My question is, would it be appropriate to try a Priceline for this trip, or would I risk winding up in an area that I should avoid?

Thanks, once again,
Pam

gc Oct 8th, 2003 10:47 AM

Pammy,

Most Syracuse hotels are in the downtown area, which is not "undesirable". We usually stay at Carrier Circle, near the fairgrounds or near the airport, as the drive to SU is not a real problem. There's a Marriott Courtyard nearby which is very good.

As noted before, if SU is playing the day you're going to be there, especially if it's the Notre Dame game, you will pay top dollar.

What is your daughter's intended major? My daughter may lead your tour...

Owen_ONeill Oct 8th, 2003 01:11 PM

Bid priceline for the 3* zone of East Syracuse at $45 per night and you'll be almost certain to get the Wyndham - used to be a Marriott - I've stayed there many times and it's fine. It's right there at Carrier Circle where the other hotels are - about a 10 -12 minute drive from campus. There's a slim chance you'd get the Embassy Suites - it's also fine and in the same area.

The only hotels very close to the campus are The Genesee Inn, the Sheraton and the Marx. of those three I'd choose the Marx but it is pricer than doing Priceline or just getting something like a Hampton Inn out at Carrier Circle.

That's truly a bummer about Joe's Restaurant - what a loss. I've also heard the Simeon's is good for a light bite. I lived and worked in Ithaca for four years in the 90's but when I was down a few weeks ago there were many old places gone and new restaurants open.

pammy Oct 8th, 2003 02:03 PM

When I finish this post, I will try Priceline-thanks for the hints.

Sarah is a prospective theatre major. She has her heart set on stage management. On the 24th, the theatre dept. will host an open house and she will then have her interview/portfolio review. We would be grateful to hear any input regarding Syracuse U.-whether it be theatre dept. or otherwise.

GC, If there is any chance that your daughter will be the guide, please advise and we will look for her!

Thanks, wish us luck for Priceline...but more for college admissions!

Pam

pammy Oct 8th, 2003 02:51 PM

When I went to Priceline, I also noted that Syracuse University was an area to choose. Is there a reason you suggested to pick East Syracuse? When I entered $45 for Syracuse U. area, they laughed and said, better rethink the bid.
Also, since I need a room for 3 adults and one 15 year old, it seemed that Priceline was sticking to rooms that only accomodate 2 adults...unless, I missed something.
Would greatly appreciate some advice here.

Thanks,
Pam

pammy Oct 9th, 2003 08:05 AM

I booked Hampton Inn (came recommended by a friend whose daughter just graduated from the Maxwell School)for 75.00! Figured by the time I added service charge for Priceline, I have a known instead of a gamble.

Still looking for a hotel in Ithaca-would love suggestions for either approaching Priceline or calling a hotel directly.

Thanks,
Pam

Kwoo Oct 9th, 2003 08:35 AM

Hello, Several years ago we stayed in a hotel on the top of the hill, close to Cornell, which I think was a Days Inn. Don't remember the price, but remember that it was reasonable and included continental breakfast. If I remember Ithaca correctly, Cornell is not too far from Ithaca College so the hotel we stayed at should be convenient for you. Check to see if there is a Days Inn in Ithaca. I'm pretty sure that is what we stayed in. Good luck!

AHaugeto Oct 9th, 2003 10:45 AM

Joe's in Ithaca is GONE? Yikes! I left the area in '98, but would recommend lunch or breakfast at any of the Ithaca Bakery locations (if you're lucky they'll have their chocolate-cherry bread), and one of my favorites for dinner was always Thai Cuisine down on Route 13, across from the mega-Weg (Wegman's). Moosewood is a great idea, too.

Owen_ONeill Oct 9th, 2003 11:24 AM

Yes I think it is a Days Inn or a Comfort Inn that's up on Triphammer Road not far from the Cornell campus. There's also a new place - either a Hilton Garden Inn or a Courtyard - can't recall which - it's off Rte 13 by Warren Road.

S

Owen_ONeill Oct 9th, 2003 11:30 AM

Yes I think it is a Days Inn or a Comfort Inn that's up on Triphammer Road not far from the Cornell campus. There's also a new place - either a Hilton Garden Inn or a Courtyard - can't recall which - it's off Rte 13 by Warren Road.

Syracuse University: excellent creative writing program / English Department... very good (and competitive) School of Performing Arts (Taye Diggs and Vanessa Williams are among the more recent graduates who come to mind). Top notch Communications School and a couple of really good grad school programs such as the Maxwell School.

It is not noted for academic excellence in other areas - relatively large class size in many undergrad classes often with a foreign teaching assistant leading most smaller sessions (i.e. things other than biug lectures). Has a reputation as a prety school and there's a big emphasis on Greel life (fraternities etc) and sports. The campus has some nice buildings but has a borderline urban feel in that it's not in a rural area. The weather is a big issue for some people - very cold with loing winters and lots of snow. Fall, spring and summer are wonderful but spring arrives late. Ithaca college has much the same weather but far less snow. Both areas tend to be overcast quite frequently.

I'm not knocking S

Owen_ONeill Oct 9th, 2003 11:33 AM

Syracuse University: excellent creative writing program / English Department... very good (and competitive) School of Performing Arts (Taye Diggs and Vanessa Williams are among the more recent graduates who come to mind). Top notch Communications School and a couple of really good grad school programs such as the Maxwell School.

It is not noted for academic excellence in other areas - relatively large class size in many undergrad classes often with a foreign teaching assistant leading most smaller sessions (i.e. things other than biug lectures). Has a reputation as a prety school and there's a big emphasis on Greel life (fraternities etc) and sports. The campus has some nice buildings but has a borderline urban feel in that it's not in a rural area. The weather is a big issue for some people - very cold with loing winters and lots of snow. Fall, spring and summer are wonderful but spring arrives late. Ithaca college has much the same weather but far less snow. Both areas tend to be overcast quite frequently.

I'm not knocking SU - both my parents went there and I grew up close to campus but there are far better schools for many peoples needs (and less expensive with better academics).

That said.... I think the drama program at SU is probably stronger and beneifts greatly from its partnership with Syracuse Stage, an excellent regional professional repertory company.

By the way... priceline always gices ridiculous prices as the "average" but the only hotel they'll have just adjacent to the SU campus is the Sheraton - it doesn't go cheap. The Hampton is just fine. PL does not guarantee two beds - only room for two people. It can sometimes be one king bed if that's all that's available.

Owen_ONeill Oct 9th, 2003 11:34 AM

I meant to say "reputation as a party school" (not prety school)

dpcta Oct 10th, 2003 07:21 AM

Another restaurant suggestion in Ithaca is Maxie's Supper Club. I've eaten both lunch and dinner there and it is great- kind of a funky/cajun place. If you like Mexican, try Coyote Loco. It's located near Cornell. Also take a drive through Cornell's campus. It is beautiful!