Search

Last night in Maine - Where to Stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night in Maine - Where to Stay?

Hi all -

I've been reading everyone's wonderful comments on Maine and you have really helped me with my trip so far!

We're flying in/out of Maine and are staying several nights in Bar Harbor and also several nights in Camden. We will do day trips from each of those locations.

I'm trying to decide what to do for our last night before flying out on a Saturday afternoon. Where should we stay Friday? In Portland? Kennebunkport? We don't leave until 3pm on Saturday so will have time to explore wherever we are.

Suggestions? We like quaint towns where we can park and just walk and we love shopping, walking, and eating!

And please, if you suggest a town, I'd also love suggestions of a B&B or hotel there!

thanks!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:09 PM

Kennebunkport is our favorite town. We often stay our last night there to catch the 3PM flight out of Logan, home to LAX. We love the White Barn Inn for dinner. We stay there or at their sister location, The Beach House Inn.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi - thanks for your reply! Both of those inn's look great but we'd like to spend less than $200. Maybe more in the $150-170 range. Any ideas in Kennebunkport?
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
bm

Portland is a fun small city. We've stayed at the Regency and were pleased -it's unique as it used to be an armory. It's in the heart of the "Old Port" which is full of cool shops and restaurants. If you have time, take a ferry boat ride on Casco Bay Lines. I had a great time on the mailboat run - they not only deliver mail, but grocery items, lumber, etc. It's very interesting. For restaurants in Portland, we like Flatbread and Gilberts.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:28 PM

We've stayed in one of the Riverhouse Rooms at Kennebunkport Inn...they are closer to your price range and excellent Dock Square location. Have a drink at Hurricane's...and definitely have dinner at White Barn Inn if it's within budget. Another one of our fave (moderately priced restaurants) is Grissini's.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM

Check out this website:

http://www.kportinns.com/

We like the Captain Jefferds and the Maine Stay.

I also recommend Hurricane, and our favorite Dock Square restaurant: Bandaloop, which is less traditional.

If you want to stay in Portland, I'll second the Regency. BUT, their sister restaurant out at Prouts Neck in Scarborough is really unique. It's a historic "grand" inn of yesteryear. It's the Black Point Inn: http://www.blackpointinn.com/

Happy Travels!