Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Coho car ferry from Port Angeles - How early should we start waiting in line?
Notices

Coho car ferry from Port Angeles - How early should we start waiting in line?

Feb 18th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Coho car ferry from Port Angeles - How early should we start waiting in line?

I just found out, quite to my surprise, that there may be only two ferries leaving daily from PA for Victoria. One leaves at 8:20 AM and the other at 1:45 PM. We are taking the ferry on June 28, a Monday. Because we are coming from Port Townsend direction and we are not early birds, we will most likely take the 1:45 ferry. What time should we arrive at the terminal to "guarantee" that we and our car will get on the ferry? I know there is no guarantee per se, but what is a general rule of thumb, on the safer side?

Feb 18th, 2004, 07:44 PM
tpl

I did this last summer -- at that time I think there were 4 ferries running per day, and it was still extremely crowded. Unfortunately, you can't make reservations on the car ferry. My best advice would be to arrive at least an hour early, park your car, and go have lunch in town while you wait. What sometimes happens is that the early ferry fills up and the overflow spills onto the next departure (yours).

I would suggest calling Black Ball Transport directly and asking what they recommend. They will also tell you the earliest time people are allowed to begin securing passage, which might help you decide. Depending on traffic, the drive from Port Townsend is about an hour. Another alternative is to leave your car and take the people ferry instead.

Good luck!
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:49 PM

I think there will be more than two sailings daily when Black Ball publishes their summer schedule. Still, for northbound, I'd plan on being in the ferry lineup a good hour and a half to two hours early. Check their website between now and say May for the summer schedule. http://www.cohoferry.com/

Search this Thread