coffee shops in los angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once of my friends really wants to go to a good old fashioned coffee shop. Not a coffee house with the overstuffed mismatched furniture and gourmet coffee, but rather a place with the old vinyl seats, fried eggs, etc. Somewhere on the westside of L.A. would be great.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:32 PM

Rae's on Pico is a classic one. It hasn't changed a bit as I can remember, since I was a kid. I think there is a Norms on Pico too. Seriously, there are many of these around. I just can't think of the specific names on the west side. I am sure someone on the west side can come up with a few for you. I can name about twenty in and near Pasadena.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:26 PM

One of our favorite places in LA is Nate and Al's in Beverly Hills. Not really a coffee shop, maybe... but it certainly is an OLD diner. Great Jewish food, but last time we got big greasy b'fast and coffee. Excellent!
Not only are the seats and furnishings from the 40's and 50's but so are the waitresses. They are quite funny, too, griping about each other and yellin'.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:37 PM

I second Nate 'n' Al's. It really is a Jewish deli but it has the old coffee shop feel for sure and they have great breakfast. It's on Beverly Drive.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:26 AM

Rae's is about as close as you'll come to a real old-fashioned coffee shop in that area. Norm's is good, but it's a relatively big chain operation. Nearly all of the great mom & pop/family run ones are gone now (Ship's, Biff's etc).