Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Coeur d'Alene (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/coeur-dalene-663936/)

jjaonhen Dec 12th, 2006 01:52 PM

Coeur d'Alene

Hi I need recommendations on nice hotels in Coeur d'Alene

kureiff Dec 12th, 2006 02:32 PM

Check out The Couer d'Alene Resort. It's very nice and right on the lake.

happytrailstoyou Dec 12th, 2006 05:52 PM

If the "resort" isn't your cup of tea, you might be happy with the quite new Holiday Inn Express (if it doesn't measure up to your standards, you won't be out a bundle).

bartorlando Dec 12th, 2006 07:20 PM

The Couer d'Alene Resort has gorgeous views and really nice rooms. Get a room with a view of the lake and a fire place. It's worth a couple extra dollars.

Bart

jjaonhen Dec 14th, 2006 07:48 AM

Thanks the Coeur d'Alene Resort sounds like what we are looking for, Now-- looking for the best room with the best view- Is there more than one tower of rooms or all in one unit? I could not tell from the website. thanks

happytrailstoyou Dec 14th, 2006 08:41 AM

I hope your exerience is better than these folks had:

My wife and I have traveled all over the world and I will tell you that this has absolutely been the worst experience we have ever had with any of our lodging choices. Our room rate was $379.00 per night plus tax. Also included was a “surcharge” of $18.95 (I have no idea what that was for) and a $15.00 per night charge for parking (at a $400 per night resort in the middle of Idaho, parking ought to be included).
To say my wife and I were disappointed is an understatement. Your staff does not understand the meaning of service or of effective communications. To have a request to see a manager not responded to immediately is an insult and to allow filthy, used bed linens to remain on a bed is beyond comprehension. The anticipated “high point” of our vacation quickly turned into “the low point” for all our travels.
If our experience is any indication of your “Customer Service” corporate philosophy and mission, I am amazed you are still in business.<i>

Resort hotels in the NW have some very annoying procedures which include understaffing the housekeeping department and putting on the front desk people who have stayed overnight in a tent or on the floor at a relaive's house but never in a hotel--unless maybe a Super 8.,
</i>

NeoPatrick Dec 14th, 2006 09:28 AM

WE stayed at the Coeur d'Alene resort just after it was named the #1 resort in the US by Conde Nast. It was a beautiful place.

No offense, but that negative review above is easily interpreted. When someone starts the complaint with how much it was, cries about a surcharge they didn't understand, and then tells THEM that parking should be included, the writing is on the wall -- they're cheap people who are put off by the way any decent resort works. They then had to find fault as they weren't comfortable with the prices.
I'm curious if the &quot;filthy, used bed linens&quot; were the ones they had made filthy and used. I refuse to believe that if somehow the bed had not been changed before they arrived, that a simple phone call could have fixed that.

bugswife1 Dec 14th, 2006 10:38 AM

The resort is beautiful. I will be there twice this year, once in May and once in September. Interestingly enough, Select Registry, Distinguished Inns of No. America is holding their chef's cook-off event for 400 chefs there in May. After we did the site inspection, they deemed it 'superb'.

cmcfong Dec 14th, 2006 11:00 AM

I loved the four nights I spent at Coeur d'Alene resort. The room was gorgeous, clean as a whistle and very spacious.

enzian Dec 14th, 2006 11:10 AM

Hi cmcfong. . .

I think the Coeur d'Alene must have upgraded their level of service since I stopped for lunch there ten years ago. My &quot;salad of wild greens&quot; was nothing but chopped iceberg lettuce, and the rest of the meal similarly disappointing. I'm gald to hear things are better now.

traveller69 Dec 14th, 2006 11:19 AM

You didn't ask for restaurant recomdations but if you are looking for a great one try the Wine Cellar on the main street (Sherman Ave I believe) We were there a couple of months ago after a recomendation by the motel owner where we stayed. It was just wonderful. The cuisine is Mediterranean but it is basically Italian. The prices are excellent and the food exceptional. We had the best paella I have ever tasted. Every entree I saw being served at the surrounding tables looked excellent as well. The wine list was good and again very reasonably priced. We thought it was good enough to go back to Coeur d'alene so we could dine there again.

Make a reservation though - it gets very busy.

cmcfong Dec 14th, 2006 12:08 PM

Hi Enzian,
Yes, I thought the meals were quite good during my stay.
Beautiful place!