Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   COCOA BEACH FOR 36 HOURS! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cocoa-beach-for-36-hours-1009616/)

dover1600 Mar 26th, 2014 03:32 PM

COCOA BEACH FOR 36 HOURS!

Hello, after a hectic few days in Disney I am hoping to relax with my hubby and 3 year old twins on a beach! We won't have much time so need something close to Orlando. Looks like Cocoa Beach will be our best/easiest bet. Can someone recommend a hotel for us? As we will only be there for a short time(lunch on the sat to dinner on the sun), we would like something right on the beach, and something in walking distance to some yummy restaurants.
Thanks in advance.

Tabernash2 Mar 27th, 2014 09:00 AM

The Hilton Cocoa Beach has a great location on the beach, and a huge deck overlooking the ocean, too.
http://www.hiltoncocoabeach.com/

The only thing it lacks is balconies for the rooms, but with toddlers, you probably don't want a balcony, anyway.

Tabernash2 Mar 27th, 2014 09:01 AM

PS Try to finagle free breakfast with your rate.

doug_stallings Mar 27th, 2014 11:08 AM

Cocoa Beach is not necessarily your only choice. There are really lovely beaches in Clearwater, which is on the Gulf side. I realize it's a bit further---100 miles versus 60 miles---but it might open up a new range of choices for you.

Lateagain Mar 27th, 2014 12:37 PM

La Quinta beachfront hotel is steps away from the beach. We enjoyed this hotel, very relaxing and clean large rooms.

flpab Mar 27th, 2014 05:48 PM

La Quinta is in a nice location. There is a new Publix grocery store close by with great deli, Ron Jons and great beach right there. Plenty of places to eat.

dover1600 Mar 28th, 2014 05:03 AM

Thanks Tabernash2, that is the hotel I looked at.
Is there a pier area/downtown area of cocoa beach? If so, would we be able to walk from the Hilton?

dover1600 Mar 28th, 2014 05:03 AM

I will also look into La Quinta, thanks flpab; it wasn't one I saw earlier.

dover1600 Mar 28th, 2014 05:06 AM

Doug_Stallings... I originally thought that we would go that way as I read that the beaches were better, but now that we only have an afternoon one day and the full day the next, not sure it is worth the drive... What is your opinion? And if you think it is worth it... where would you stay, given what our criteria are? Thanks

doug_stallings Mar 28th, 2014 05:28 AM

I understand your concern about time. Cocoa Beach is only an hour from the Orlando airport and it's a straight shot, so with very limited time that can be a better option. You'll likely hit more traffic going to Clearwater as well. I think Clearwater has better beaches, but I don't know that it's that much better than Cocoa Beach.

I'd prefer to have someone more familiar with the area answer that question. We recommend 5 resorts in Cocoa Beach that are on or within a block of the beach, so you may want to consult those listings on our site. We give our top recommendation to The Resort at Cocoa Beach. I don't have any personal experience with any of these hotels, but I'm sure other posters do.

My only recommendation: with such a short trip, spend a few extra dollars to have a beachfront hotel. You don't want to have the additional hassle of having to drive to the beach.

dover1600 Mar 28th, 2014 05:48 AM

I totally agree about a beachfront hotel... I really just want to park the car. All we want to do is decompress! Play on the beach, walk to a restaurant for a yummy meal, walk to get an ice cream for the kids/beer for mommy and daddy!
I will look into The Resort, thanks!

vincenzo32951 Mar 28th, 2014 07:52 AM

Restaurant rec for Cocoa Beach: Yen-Yen for upscale Chinese. You can get take-out there, too.

dover1600 Mar 28th, 2014 08:21 AM

Yum, thank you! Will add it to my short list!
:)

Tabernash2 Mar 28th, 2014 08:32 AM

dover, the pier is a short and very pleasant walk up the beach from the Hilton. We ate at one of the pier restaurants and it was decent-- with a killer view over the water.

There was actually a launch from the Kennedy Center when we were there, and we could see it from the Hilton beach. Very cool.

We had a car and drove into Cocoa Beach to visit Ron Jon's.

The Hilton has a huge parking lot, and I think it's still free.

We were there for 8 nights, and chose it for its low price. It was a very good value, but I'm sure there are fancier resorts in Cocoa. Can't beat the Hilton's location, though.

flpab Mar 28th, 2014 04:53 PM

It is over a mile and half to get to the pier from the Hilton but it is not anything to write home about. It is a boardwalk that sticks out into the ocean. I like the port places to eat so much better than cocoa beach's places but Boston seafood is close to La Quinta. There are a couple of brand new hotels like holiday inn express but they are across from the ocean on busy A1A.

dover1600 Mar 29th, 2014 05:10 AM

Thanks for the responses and descriptions about the pier... maybe the pier isn't necessarily the best place to situate ourselves. Is the hilton near the cocoa beach 'downtown area', where we can easily walk to restaurants with three year old twins?

flpab Mar 29th, 2014 03:33 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hi...0c0f1c7989a6f2

No, you can't walk to "downtown" downtown has funky little shops, java and juice, bars and ok places to eat. When you look at the map it is around 3rd street where it is more of a downtown area. Ron Jon's area is more populated with places to eat.

flpab Mar 29th, 2014 03:48 PM

We eat at the port because the seafood is fresh off the boat and rarely eat at the beach. Beef O'Brady's is in the Publix shopping center and there is Boston Seafood on the beach side. I always get smoothies at this one place across from Ron Jons when I go to the bank. I should pay more attention! the Mango tree is more upscale.

dsquared Mar 30th, 2014 04:22 PM

Second the Yen-Yen rec. I'll add Simply Delicious because that's exactly what it is. Everything made fresh on the premises. Breakfast (oh, the stuffed French toast!) and lunch. So good.