Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Coco Plum Inn - Key West (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/coco-plum-inn-key-west-654760/)

Keith Oct 24th, 2006 09:09 AM

Coco Plum Inn - Key West

Anyone have experience with Coco Plum Inn? I've found posts by people asking about it a few years abck, but nothing from anyone that stayed there.

At first it looked good, but some of the rave reviews on Trip Advisor look fake.

Keith

SusanCS Oct 24th, 2006 02:37 PM

I spend lots of time in Key West, but I have no information about Coco Plum Inn. I know what you mean about some of the "raves" on Trip Advisor, though. They sometimes seem WAY out of line for what the property deserves. A good example was a couple of years ago when Nassau House was voted the top B&B in the WORLD on Trip Advisor. Now that's just plain nuts. You might consider posting your question about the Coco Plum Inn on the forum - maybe someone will give you some personal information if you don't get a response here.

Peter_krynicki Oct 25th, 2006 08:21 AM

I borrowed this and I trust this person's opinion...

"We stayed at Coco Plum Inn in September of 2004. It was a last minute trip that almost didn't happen because of the darned hurricanes. We ended up being one of only two parties staying there at the time.
Our room was nice. Redone bathroom. We faced Whitehead, so there was lots of traffic. Once we were in our room with the door closed and the a/c on, we didn't hear any noise at all.
They have a wonderful breakfast. In fact, for me, too wonderful. I am not a breakfast lover, really prefer some fruit and a bit of bread. Unfortunately, if someone offers my husband breakfast, he's a happy camper. So, for the rest of the day our eating/hunger was out of sync. I'd be starved and ready for lunch, he'd be full. Ad nauseum.
Anyway, the hosts were very nice, and we had no complaints about the place."

Pjk

frenchtoile Oct 25th, 2006 12:06 PM

SusanCS

If you had a group of ppl to take to Key West where would you go? We need about 20 rooms all in the same area. Pier House is pricey. I need some names of places. Thanks.

No_name Oct 25th, 2006 12:29 PM

Try www.Keywest.com. Room rates and availabilty really change depending on the time of year.

Jim2003 Oct 25th, 2006 01:12 PM

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Cocoplum in 2004 after my brother stayed there and had great reviews. We loved it. The people who ran it moved to Key West from Long Island a few years back, and we thought it was charming. The inn keepers are very very nice and their sons cook up a breakfast every morning as part of the price of the stay in their kitchen and sunporch. Its a very neat way to meet other people. Its right next door to The Green Parrot which is a great plus if you ask me. And though I expected it to be noisy, it wasn't at all. There's a pool, plenty of rooms, great innkeepers.... Honestly this is not a "fake" review.... I have recommended others go whenever I am asked about places to stay..... and its RIGHT around the corner from Duval....

Going down again in December (with brother this time-staying in hotel) and CANNOT wait!!!

J

Keith Oct 25th, 2006 01:43 PM

I'm not doubting you, Jim. You have a history here. A lot of the reviews I was seeing over there were similar to each other, raves, and by people that only ever posted one review.

Thanks for replying.

In the mean time, we decided on Jasmine House. 'fraid the hot tub on the porch tipped the scales for that one, from among 6 that we considered.

The hotels that I would have considered had outrageous prices for ordinary rooms. I decided on a interesting B&B for only 2/3 outrageous.

6 weeks to go - now I get to plan the rest of the trip. Anyone done the float plane trip to the Tortugas?

Keith

SusanCS Oct 25th, 2006 03:32 PM

Keith - I've read very nice reviews of Jasmine House...unless I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be a first!) it only has about 6 rooms. Good luck and give us a review when you return.

French - if I wanted to find accommodations for a large group in Key West, I'd either contact Truman Annex, or At Home in Key West. I think your best bet is to go through a realtor who might have information about several condominiums in one site (like Truman Annex), or a few houses.

Still another option is the Banyon Resort (timeshares), though when we looked at some of the units several years ago they weren't particularly nice. The outside is really beautiful and they may've been renovated since then.