Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cocktail party in Atlanta for 150 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cocktail-party-in-atlanta-for-150-a-483382/)

LilyLace Oct 30th, 2004 03:05 PM

Cocktail party in Atlanta for 150

Ok now I need some good suggestions! Every year at our US trade fair, I organize a cocktail party for our customers. My company has built quite a reputation for hosting the best event. The key to our success has been that we do not discuss business the whole evening, instead we concentrate on "getting to know each other better" and having fun!

In the past we have held our party in the Hard Rock Cafe, Baltimore, Margaritaville, New Orleans, Howl at the Moon, Baltimore, Mick's Underground, Atlanta, The Clipper City, Tall ship, Baltimore, a few private bars, and once in a Hilton Presidential Suite, but we can't do that again - it was just too noisy still at 4 am and the hotel wasn't happy with us.

This year we are back to Atlanta and I really need some suggestions. A small "local" place that would rent the whole place out for the night seems to work well, but I consider anything! Please Fodorites, rack your brains for me!

Thanks.

GoTravel Oct 30th, 2004 04:00 PM

LilyLace, off the top of my head, I can think of three venues.

The first one would by the rotating lounge/restaurant at the top of the Hyatt downtown. It rotates so your attendees would have a 360 view of Atlanta. You can almost see to Stone Mountain I think.

Second would be the bar/restaurant at the top of the Westin downtown. Doesn't rotate but gorgeous.

Thirdly is the Natural Museum. Went to a cocktail party there and it was impressive.

Oh, I have a fourth. Most major sports venues have sky box/corporate/party rooms with views. Most definitely call Turner Field and wherever the Atlanta Falcons play.

I've been to a ton of these things in Atlanta and as soon as I can think of others I'll post.

nytraveler Oct 30th, 2004 04:01 PM

Have you considered contacting the local CVB? I'm sure they will have a list of appropos places.

jtp Oct 30th, 2004 04:39 PM

I have always found sincere grounded direction on food / restaurant questions at www.egullet.com - go to the US Forum and then click on : southeast

Tandoori_Girl Oct 30th, 2004 05:01 PM

A friend of mine has a property that is a converted warehouse. It is called Wigwam and her web site is JCKnightProperties.com. For some reason, I'm being denied access but if you can get to the site you can check it out. It has very interesting modern kitschy interior and a really cool large outdoor garden area that it opens up to. it may be a little too artsy but check it out.

Lex1 Oct 30th, 2004 11:39 PM

You might investigate the Atlanta History Center or the High or the Fernbank museums (the "Natural Museum"). Great locations, style, cachet.
The restaurant and bar at the top (73 stories) of the Westin Peachtree Plaza do rotate, even for teetotalers. Great view and less.
The Falcons play at the Georgia Dome.

jillis Nov 1st, 2004 01:25 AM

Depending on time of year you need an outdoor patio. Mitra, a restaurant downtown would be great. You rent the entire downstairs. The Fox Theatre is the grandest locale or the Georgian Hotel ballroom (original one only). The Biltmore Hotel is also nice. Westin, Hyatt, Ritz are dull. The Margaret Mitchell is rentalbe I think but may have catering restrictions.

syd1 Nov 1st, 2004 04:44 AM

We went to a fab cocktail party at Ali- Oli in Buckhead. Delicious food and plenty of mingling space.

Then there's Capital Grille with a great view, Anthony's for a classy Southern style event, or Park Tavern at Piedmont Park.

You might also try the Michael C. Carlos museum at Emory or, depending on your budget, Fernbank Museum or the Botanical Gardens, tho everything there is separate.

GoTravel Nov 1st, 2004 07:35 AM

Fernbank! That's it! Went to a wonderful cocktail party there.

LilyLace Nov 6th, 2004 06:57 AM

Thank you to all who answered my post. I am checking all the leads and will post later to let you know what I decide.
Cheers,
Lily