Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Coastal Town near Portland (echola state park and haystack rock)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a coastal town that's good to visit near Portland. Would like to spend some time in Echola State Park and watch the tidal pools at Haystack Rock. Is Cannon beach the best and if so, would you recommend a place to stay and where to eat, etc. How far of a drive is it?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Stay in Cannon Beach. Schooner's Cove is a good place--right on the beach and near several restaurants.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Ecola is just two miles north of Cannon Beach, so that's your best choice. Schooner's Cove is good, maybe the least expensive beachfront place. At the high end: Stephanie Inn followed by Ocean Lodge. Off the beach, check out Cannon Beach Hotel, where Gower St. Bistro, one of Cannon Beach's nice restaurants is located.

Other good Cannon Beach dining spots: at the high end, Stephanie Inn and JP's; mid-range, Bistro, Gower St. and Wayfarer; lower-end (but still good), Ecola Seafood Market. Then there's always Mo's, which is great for the view, but the food is nothing special.

Can you not find your other post? Just click on your screen name.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

I got it beachbum. I was just frustrated with a response there earlier but all is gooo-oood. Thanks so much. I have it now. Many thanks for all your suggestions.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Hi Maria..
You have good advice here from Portlanders
We are going to Ecola State Park in a couple of weeks, can't wait. I heard it is much like Cornwall
I have SO many photos of Haystack Rock so please be sure to take your camera lol..so you too can have many photos of a big rock
You will really like Cannon Beach, charming, pretty and plenty of places to shop, windowshop and eat.
Have fun!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Scarlett, We like Indian Beach at Ecola State Park. You can take a picnic lunch. There is a nice beach to walk on with great rocks sticking out and some tidepools. Also, there is a wonderful trail through a beautiful forest to the north. I hear there's a lighthouse somewhere up the trail, but we never made it that far.

Bring waterproof shoes if you plan on hiking as the ground will be quite muddy in spots. Also, remember to bring warm clothes even if Portland happens to be sunny.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you! I'm too excited to sleep now! Even if it's not sunny, there's something about walking on the beach by the weather. It's hard not to like that...

Scarlett, I plan to bring both my manual and digital came4ras, extra film and extra storage.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:32 PM

LOL, the great thing about Portland and the coast ( IMO) is that no matter the weather, it is beautiful..
We find it a very photogenic area !

Thank you Orcas!
I am going shoe shopping this week .. lol.

We saw the movie Ring 2 tonight ( don't ask)...it took place in Astoria. LOL I hope there are parts of Astoria that are prettier than the ones in the movie!!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:36 PM

I haven't seen "The Goonies" in many years, but I think I need to rent it again. I saw it long before I'd even heard of Astoria.

Andrew