Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Coastal Oregon to Redwoods and back to Portland, input?

Sep 13th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I would love input on this itinerary for summer 2020. Travelers will be myself, husband and two children ages 9 & 12.

Day 1: Fly in to PDX from BWI and drive to Yachats (2 nights Yachats) (yes, long day of travel right off the bat!)
Day 2: Yachats
Day 3: head to Bandon with stop at dunes (1 night in Bandon)
Day 4: Bandon to Redwoods (Crescent City or Kalmath - 4 nights here)
Day 5: Redwoods
Day 6: Redwoods
Day 7: Redwoods
Day 8: head back toward PDX.....this is where I would use some input. We can do another 2-3 nights, but not sure where. Crate Lake? Bend area? Or all the way back up to Portland and spend a could nights there (Mt. Hood, etc..)

Would love input! Thanks!
Sep 13th, 2019, 10:50 AM

Just quick -- PDX to Yachats will take about 4 hours including picking up the rental. I personally wouldn't want to do that after a cross country flight. I'd either stay the first night in Portland or drive maybe as far as McMinville.

And I would NOT stay in Crescent City, or even Klamath (unless I could get a night or two at the Requa Inn). And I wouldn't stay there for four nights. I'd want a couple of nights farther south for Ferndale, the Avenue of the Giants, etc.
Sep 13th, 2019, 10:51 AM

It's certainly doable, but my main question is what do you plan to do with the four days in the redwoods? It's important to note that Redwood National Park was created long after the state of California had "cherry picked" the best groves for inclusion in a couple of state parks, namely Jedediah Smith (near Crescent City) and the big Humboldt Redwoods State Park south of Eureka. Crescent City (which is kind of meh in my view) is close to the first, but quite inconvenient from the Humboldt redwoods and Avenue of the Giants (south of Eureka.) The town of Klamath is tiny and with extremely limited accommodations and services.

As for where to stop on the way back to Portland, opinions vary. In my view, the Columbia River Gorge and Hood River/Mount Hood areas offer so many activities and attractions for a family like yours that I would take the opportunity to maximize time in that part of Oregon, even if it meant reducing the redwoods by a day or even two. There are hikes around the many waterfalls in the Gorge, white water rafting in White Salmon WA (across the Columbia from Hood River,) windsurfing and kite boarding on the Columbia at Hood River, the Hood River "fruit loop" - orchards, U-pick farms, vineyards and wineries, hiking and even summer skiing on Mount Hood, visits to Herman the Sturgeon at the Bonneville hatchery, even the quirky Maryhill Museum and nearby weird replica of Stonehenge at Maryhill, out in cowboy country 40 minutes east of Hood River. And all of it within 90 minutes max of PDX airport.

Just as a thought experiment, google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/MWSofbT7T39mE5ZRA . Among them are Ashland, where the annual Oregon Shakespeare Festival is a lot of fun for families, Crater Lake, stunning Smith Rock State Park, and Timberline Lodge on the side of Mount Hood, featuring the "Magic Mile" summer chairlift ride up to the permanent icefields on the side of the volcano, where there's summer skiing.

Again, it depends on your specific plans for various areas, but you might think about a schedule something like this, with overnight locations listed:

1 Yachats
2 Yachats
3 Bandon
4 Klamath
5 Klamath
6 Ashland
7 Crater Lake
8 Hood River
9 Hood River
10 Hood River
11 Depart

Edited to add - be careful on timing. Parts of the Crater Lake rim are inaccessible due to snow until late June or even mid-July. Conversely, southern Oregon including the Rogue Valley can be hot as Hades in August, and by that time the risk of forest fires is quite high.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Sep 13th, 2019 at 11:01 AM.
Sep 13th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Great input and ideas. Just what I am looking for.

I found a wonderful airbnb in Gasquet, CA which was the impetus for staying 4 nights in that area. (Gasquet is just east of Crescent City.) I thought since we were coming from the North and heading back north to rerun to PDX that we might stick to the northern portions of Redwoods State and National Parks and not go all the way down to Humboldt. Is this a bad move? Figured we could still do Jedediah, Fern Canyon, Newton Drury all from the homebase of airbnb in Gasquet. Four nights set aside to do this and a bit of down time at airbnb.
This is all a work in progress and appreciate the constructive criticism Very helpful!