Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Coastal Maine for Honeymoon- Acadia then Portland- Advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

We are planning our honeymoon for July 1-10 and are looking for some good ideas to add to our existing plan. We love to hike, eat good food, kayak/canoe, open to adventure activities. Here's the plan so far: Fly into Boston- go up to vacation rental around Acadia. We plan on doing a bunch of day hikes. Any other must do things around there? From there, we have a few days to explore the coast back towards Boston. I was thinking of one night in Portland (mainly for the food). Any recommendations for lodging in Portland? Restaurants?

Im looking for nice details to add to the trip.

Thanks! Dave
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 07:17 AM

Happy Honeymoon planning,

As far as hiking. . . there are some really great hikes, carraige trails for biking or horseback riding . . . but
about 25 years ago MrL_G and I visited Acadia for the first time together. We saw this beautiful picture of a waterfall and decided to find it and hike to it. To cut a long story short - the photo was taken in early spring, during the winter thaw. There was no waterfall by mid summer.

I haven't spent a foodie weekend in Portland for a couple of years. Check in with chowhound for the latest. It's a really cool town, and may be worth 2 nights instead of 1 if you are still flexible.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 07:22 AM

Sounds like a great honeymoon! I agree with 2 night in Portland.

My posts from September might be useful:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...estaurants.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...park-hikes.cfm

~Liz
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 07:57 AM

I'll give the same advice that I always give about Acadia - spend a day on the Schoodic Pennisula. Really beautiful and less crowded than the main part of Acadia. There are great places to kayak, bike and otherwise explore.

Congratulations and have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 09:19 AM

Chowhound, northern New England is an excellent suggestion to decide where to eat in Portland. Currently there's a suggestion of a place that's better than DuckFat for french fries. You will already have had time on the water but the mailboat run is a nice relaxing cruise or perhaps consider an evening cruise to see the lights come on.

Check out farmers markets while you are in Maine. We liked the one in Bath and Brunswick the best. Good place to find local cheeses and fresh baked goods. You can also visit some wineries. Cellar Door Winery in Lincolnville (not their store on Rt 1) is a pretty location and near Camden. You might consider a picnic lunch on top of Mt Battie. The view is spectacular. A trip out to Monhegan Island also offers some nice hiking. Bring a lunch and binnoculars.

If you have enough time, you might detour from Portland to NH's White Mountains. There are several places for zip line tours. Haven't heard of any in Maine but they are growing in popularity. From the White Mountains, it's an easy trip back to Boston although you might consider flying into Manchester NH if you don't mind skipping Boston.
Best wishes!
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:45 AM

Sounds like you have a great honeymoon planned! We went to Acadia last summer June 30-July 5 and had a great time. I hope the weather is as good for you as it was for us.

One of the best things we did while there was go kayaking with AquaTerra Adventures. They have several different tours to choose from. I wish we had chosen a longer tour, because it was such a great day to be out on the water. http://aquaterra-adventures.com/

Another one of the best things we did was go on the fireworks watching cruise on the Acadian. It was foggy, but that simply added to the magic that night of the fireworks over the water. I don't see it listed on their website, and we bought our tickets at our hotel (the Bar Harbor Motel), so you might check with them when you are there to see if they are doing it again this year.

Their Fourth of July parade and lobster races were a lot of fun as well. We almost didn't go because we see plenty of small town parades where we live in Texas, but I was so glad we did. Truly fun.

We also enjoyed going on a whale and puffin watching tour.

Don't miss hiking around Jordan Pond followed by popovers and lunch at the Jordan Pond Restaurant.

Oh, and don't miss having a least one breakfast at Two Cats Cafe. So quaint.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 12:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Love Portland. this past summer we stayed at the Danforth B&B and thought it very nice. We also had a good meal at their restaurant, Carmen. another favorite restaurant is Fore Street. I actually can't think of a bad meal that we have ever had in Portland. Usuallynfollow the suggestions on Chowhound.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 01:52 PM

We stayed in Rockland ME and loved it. Stayed here:
http://www.berrymanorinn.com/ They have free homemade pie and ice cream available 24/7 !!

Lots of great things to see and explore and great food -
Waterman's Lobster!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 02:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Rockland Maine is nice as is the Berry Manor Inn there. Another place a bit off the beaten path is Coveside BnB in Georgetown, Me
http://www.covesidebandb.com
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 07:56 PM

In Bar Harbor, we stayed in the Honeymoon Suite at the Manor House Inn. Gorgeous! Great location, super yummy breakfast, walking distance to great restaurants.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:47 AM

Where I take my friends visiting Portland:
Portland Head Light, alleged to be the most photographed lighthouse on the planet, and for good reason.
Bradbury Mt, 25 minutes northeast, short hike to gorgeous view of Casco Bay.
Casco Bay Lines Ferry: Various routes, but a walk around Peaks Island is always a hit. (Peaks has house rentals as well.)
The State wildlife park houses rehabilitatd wildlife, fish hatchery, and other cool stuff: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/education/wildlifepark/
The Old Port
Munjoy Hill and the glorious Eastern Promenade (check for evening band concerts)
Food, food, and more food
The historic houses of the West End (check for evening band concerts)
Food.
hvh