Coastal lodging near Healdsburg or SFO airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in San Jose in late October and were hoping to go up to Healdsburg or Sonoma for a night or two. Would love to find a place on the coast for at least one of the nights that will be convenient to get back to San Francisco for our flight home.
1. Will the weather on the coast be decent in October?(I'm from the Northeast)
2. Would like to find a nice place, hopefully oceanview, for around $200/night, if at all possible.
3. Also, are there wineries in that coastal area, rather than going to healdsburg/Sonoma? If not, how much driving time will it be to the coast from there?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Dee
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:25 AM

The weather in October should be pretty good - minimal fog, reasonably warm temperatures.

For coastal lodging convinient to SFO, I would check out Half Moon Bay.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:00 AM

If you opt for lodging at Half Moon Bay which is only about 30 minutes from the airport , you will be at least 2 to 3 driving hours (depending on the traffic) to go to Healdsburg in Sonoma. This covers about 95 miles going north.

On the other hand, from HMB, you will only be about 35 southbound miles from the fine vineyards at Santa Cruz Mountains.

But, if you really insist on Sonoma/Healdsburg, Bodega Bay area would be the closest coastal area with decent accomodations and that is about 35 miles away along small country roads that takes about 45 minutes-to-an-hour. Bodega Bay is also about 80 miles away from the airport.

Another area by the coast that's in-between Sonoma and SFO would be Point Reyes. This town would be slightly closer to the airport.

One thing that you have to be aware of is that SFO and Sonoma (Healdsburg area) is so far away from each other and that the habitable coastal towns in between creates such a substantial detour to go to either points.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for the info. Sounds like the wineries south could be a good idea instead. If i choose that option, i would think it might be a better idea to fly out of San Jose instead?
Any lodging recommendations for half moon bay area?.. winery recommendations?
(We're partial to reds, cabs & pinot)
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM

If you have two nights, going north is not unreasonable. We once stayed in Bodega Bay when we went to the Russian River Jazz Festival. It was a bit of a drive (less than an hour) but a beautiful one. You can visit all the Russian River, Dry Creek and even Alexander Valley wineries and return to the coast in the evening. Check out the Bodega Bay Inn and Bodega Bay Lodge. Both are very nice.

Visit www.wineroad.com Click on "maps" for interactive maps.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Testarossa Vinyards in Los Gatos is well known for their Pinot. You could take highway 35 a.k.a. Skyline Blvd. to highway 9 to get there from Half Moon Bay. There's a Ritz Carlton there but it's most likely going to be more than $200 a night. There are plenty of B&Bs there too. One thing to consider about Half Moon Bay in October is that's when they have their pumpkin festival. Believe it or not that's pretty much the biggest event of the year for the area, unless Maverick's is breaking.
Flying out of San Jose would be an option if you choose to stay in Los Gatos (not on the coast) or possibly Santa Cruz. October is the best time of year to visit Santa Cruz. The day trippers that visit the Boardwalk are gone and so is the fog. There are plenty of winerys and tasting rooms in the Santa Cruz mountains.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Sonoma County and its many wineries is about a 2 hour drive north of San Jose. The coast of Sonoma county is about a 45 minute drive from Healdsburg. The coast should be beautiful in October and is not to be missed. There are a few hotels in Healdsburg, one very upscale. Santa Rosa is about 20 minutes south of Healdsburg and has more lodging choices. From Santa Rosa the coast at Bodega Bay is about a 30 minute drive. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:27 AM

While we're at it, in addition to Testarossa, let's mention Bonny Doon Vineyards off of Hwy 1 in the town of...Bonny Doon in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

This area is not a concentrated "wine destination" recognized worldwide like Sonoma & Napa valleys. There, a person can go trick or treating Adult Style and sample wines from vineyards in a straight line.

Regarding the weather : this is traditionally the time when the Indian Summer arrives in the valley. As J_Correa stated, the weather will be warm and then it will rain lightly. Rainy season typically begins a week or so before Halloween.

The Half Moom Bay Pumpkin Festival is October 15-16, 2005 from 10a-5p.

We can help you find a few nice restaurants & sites of interest in San Jose and the surrounding area. Often, people misunderstand the valley because it was built "out" and then the density began, instead of built "up" like many cities limited by tight geography. There are many gems with a few miles between each of them.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:32 AM

I don't know what Half a Moom is, either.
It's Half Moon Bay. Things here were described just as they appeared 200+ years ago.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Too bad we wont be there till the week after the pumpkin festival, that would have been fun!!! Again, Thanks for all the info. I'm thinking maybe one night up in Healdburg and one night down in Half Moon Bay? I see a place called Cypress Inn in HMB, any good? My in-laws are in Saratoga and we'll be spending the weekend with them, then heading off by ourselves on Monday. Restaurant ideas in both areas would be great. Thanks again, appreciate any addtional info.
dee
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 02:41 PM

When you wrote "both areas" I assumed you meant Saratoga and Healdsburg. Do you mean Healdsburg and HMB?

In either case, this might help somebody else in the future:

You might do well to make reservations now for LaFondue in Saratoga. If there is a concert at Villa Montalvo or The Mountain Winery, LaFondue becomes popular. If you've been to France, then you'll know to bring a penlight to read the menu. Hats are not worn at the table, so a miner's cap just won't work out. This will be a 2hour dining experience, a little spendy, but a treat for everyone.

The Plumed Horse is another winner.
http://www.plumedhorse.com/html/menus.shtml

It's easy to recommend the finer restaurants, but often, travelers want a good value. Let us know what your targets are for dining...

Had a great dinner at Kuleto's in Los Gatos (next ridge over from Saratoga; also borders with San Jose) last Saturday. Waitstaff was very attentive. Timing was "on". Wine list has good depth. Clean bathrooms. Easy parking.

For HMB, I like to drift over to the Moss Beach Distillery. Continental menu, great views, and a bit of history. On the patio facing the Pacific Ocean, a person could enjoy a glass of madeira or port with a nice cigar. Not saying that it's a smoker's paradise out there, but it's one of the few places I partake in cigars.

There's plenty of seating and thick blankets are available (in case the wind chills you) in the cabinets on the patio. Nice to arrive an hour or so before sunset and see the sky's colors change as you dine.

http://www.mossbeachdistillery.com/

Half Moon Bay Brewery is far more casual. Surfboard decor. Live music on wknd nights. Nice to gather around the firepit in October while waiting for a table to open up.

http://www.hmbbrewingco.com/

Now, who has Healdsburg covered...?
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Healdsburg is full of upscale restaurants and bistros. Dry Creek Kitchen(owned by Charlie Parker) or Cyrus(which has been compared to the French Laundry in Napa County),both super high end. A little less expensive is Manzanita, a favorite of ours. For small plates Willie's Seafood Bar or Barn Diva. A little less pricy would be Zin or Ravenous. Zin is good for lunch, as is the Oakville Grocery Store. There is also a brewery with ok food. Madrona Manor is a country inn that also serves dinner and possibly brunch. Healdsburg is a world class place to go out and eat! We are blessed in Sonoma county with wonderful restaurants and wine! I think the Sonoma Coast has it all over Half Moon Bay. We have lived in both Southern and Northern California and traveled the entire coast to Canada. We never tire of the rustic beauty of the Sonoma Coast.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM

If you are flying into and out of San Jose, with your time frame, you cannot do both north coast and south coast Bay Area as some have suggested. sheesh.

My suggestion would be to take 280 to San Francisco and then 101 to Petaluma. Get off at the Washington Street exit and follow that trek all the way through Petaluma onto the Petaluma-Bodega hwy.

Enjoy the scenery. (There used to be acres of chicken shacks here until we learned not to let them range, but to put them in cages <shrug-aside>.)

This will take you less than three hours.

Stay the night at Bodega Bay. Choices are, essentially, three. I personally prefer the Bodega Coast Inn... bodegacoastinn.com, which, as it happens, is the least expensive...AAA says $169-$375 until 10/31. However, I would ask for a "deal", since it is at the end of the 'season'.

This is not a "dump"...it is a very interesting modern lodging with amenities and sometimes fireplaces and it has views of the bay. I have stayed here several times on my way up to the north coast to check on property I have there.

As for the other two "Inn at the Tides" is simply a large complex of lodgings, and very expensive since it offers spa facilities, etc.

Bodega Bay Lodge and Spa is a 4 diamond property and it turns me off completely because it does not reflect the culture or spirit of the Sonoma Coast. BTW it starts at $300.

(I am a native of Sonoma County....so it pains me to see this happening.)

BTW, usually the weather on the coast is wonderful in October. In June and July it is often foggy. It won't rain in October and should be pleasantly cool.

OH, BTW Alfred Hitchock filmed part of "The Birds" here, and if you have seen it, you will recognize landmarks.

So, on the second day head up the coast to Jenner, where the Russian River comes into the ocean. This is a short drive. Turn right there and you are in Redwood country. You will be following the Russian River, and driving through redwoods.

There are many wineries in this area of which I am not familiar, but if you google, you will find them if you wish.

My choice would be to follow the river to Santa Rosa and then take Hwy 12 toward Sonoma, stopping at wineries along the way. I can suggest Kunde, St. Jean, Benzinger in Glen Ellen, which is a little detour off the road, but if you do some research you can find others.

Spend your second night in the town of Sonoma, which is a delightful pre-California, Mexican-occupation town, with an 8-acre plaza surrounded by 1820's adobe buildings.

You may be able to get reasonable lodgings here in October. In the summer and in the grape crushing season it is almost impossible. (I went to high school here and had to reserve two months ahead for a motel room for a July reunion.) If this interests you I would book right away.

I would try El Pueblo Inn, although the Sonoma Valley Inn is within walking distance of the Plaza. (They often require two nights and are somewhat rigid about things.)

There are three historic hotels on the Plaza in the town itself...Sonoma Hotel, El Dorado, and Swiss Hotel. They have websites if you want to try them. El Dorado is a delightful adobe structure with a good, but expensive, restaurant. Sonoma Hotel is fine unless you get the "wrong room". Swiss has only a few rooms above what can be a rather noisy bar.

Of course there are many B&B's.

If you have time here for wineries...Sebastiani is three blocks or so from the plaza. Buena Vista, an historical winery, is a mile or so east of town.

On your way back to San Francisco (45 minutes to the Golden Gate Bridge) is Viansa and the Gloria Ferrar champagne cellars. A detour off 12 to 121 will take you into the Carneros appellation and wineries I have not yet experienced.

On this trip I would not consider Healdsburg, because you will need to go further north from Santa Rosa and your time is short. I should not mention this, because I am trying to help you get the best out of two days, but short of Healdsburg is Windsor..good wineries there. (My daughter just finished a term as Mayor there....)

Half Moon Bay is out of the way for this, as are any considertions of Samta Cruz mountain wineries. (I now live in Santa Cruz). Gotta choose. South or North? I choose North. I hope you do, too.

Have fun...I wish you had more time.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:55 PM

You could also tour wineries in the Russian River valley and continue up to Heldsburg in about the same time it would take you to continue on to Sonoma. When you are in Sonoma you are probably about 30 minutes closer to SF than in Heldsburg.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

AGAIN,thanks. SO much great info. Wish we had more time. Some of those restaurants looked really good! Going to have to save this info for our next trip out.Or maybe we'll hit one while in Saratoga.
As for our last two nights,I'm kind of liking jt's idea of the northern areas and not HMB.
Although, i looked at the mentioned Bodega Bay lodgings(Bodega Coast Inn,Inn at the Tides& Bodega Lodge &Spa), the reviews on Trip Advisor weren't that great, especially for the $$$. I did find a place called Sonoma Coast Inn. has anyone heard of it? It looks very upscale, but the prices are 200-265.Maybe it's not on the coast, despite its name?? Otherwise, any other lodging ideas? maybe just north or south of Bodega Bay?
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Sonoma Coast Inn is not on the coast,
it's inland closer to the little spot
in the road known as Bodega- where
some of "The Bird's" was filmed (not
Bodega Bay). If you are considering
Bodega Bay for a night, why not consider
Jenner ? The River's End is a marvelous
restaurant-great food and spectacular view. They also have 3-4 little cabins
for rent.
Now, above Jenner not too far is Gualala
(45 mins.)stay at Seacliff on the Bluff-do get an upstairs room ! You'll be
right above the beach and on you can
relax on your private patio.
The rooms are $140-160.
R5
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Here's the River's End website-
http://www.ilovesunsets.com/lodging.html
Opt for one of cabins if you can-
The location is truly spectacular !
R5
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Razzle... Yes, just figured out Sonoma Coast Inn is not on the coast, also got some bad service reviews... moving on!! River's End doesnt show pics on their site, which i thought odd.
Don't think we want to head much further north than Jenner, but Seacliff ssure has a great view!
If i might pester a bit more...any other ideas?
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 04:16 AM

Just a note as it seems you're looking at lodging north of Jenner...I would not recommend the Timber Cove Inn. It was very tired and worn out for the $$.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 10:59 AM

dosu-Here's one I spaced in Jenner
www.jennerinn.com
R5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -