coast to coast/boston to seattle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The four of us plans to travel by car from boston to seattle in about three weeks period in the spring of 2016. Can you suggest the interesting places we can visit or stay along the way. What hotels to check in and food to taste.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 03:03 AM

That's a thousand miles a week, about 150 miles per day.

It is a nice amount of time for seeing a lot of the country, especially if you put in a couple of 300 mile days every week and use the time you gain to explore a few places intensively.

If you want to experience anything much of America, it will help to spend as little time as possible on Interstate highways, though they are hard to avoid and very useful near big cities. Look instead at numbered US highways: US 20, US 6, US 30, US 50. US 50 starts in Kenmore Square, Boston, and goes all the way to the Pacific at Newport, Oregon.

Some places I would want to see are the Finger Lakes of New York, the cities of Cleveland and Chicago, the Black Hills of South Dakota, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, and Northern California and Oregon.

The one issue that concerns me is what you mean by "spring". In some mountain areas of the west, the passes will still be closed by snow, and it can in fact snow in much of your route into mid-April, though it is not a big issue east of Wyoming. In Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma, tornadoes are an issue from mid-April to mid-June.

I can't recommend hotels, though I think many value-oriented travelers stay in Hampton Inns. I do. Food is even harder. Just inquire locally, avoiding chains when possible. I haven't eaten in a McDonalds in fifteen years.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 03:15 AM

In addition to Ackislander's advice, it will depend on what you like to do. If you like things like nature, and or hiking then visiting the National and state Parks would be key to a great trip. If you are more into cities, museums, fine dining then that would involve planning a very different kind of trip.

Give a bit more information on what you want to see/do on this trip.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 06:15 AM

this is such a big question, its kind of impossible for anyone to answer. You need to narrow it down a bit yourself before we can help.

Why are you taking this trip? What is it you and your friends hope to do/accomplish on it? This is the key question. An answer of "we want to see America" is still kind of vague. Think of it as looking for a theme for your trip. Maybe you want to experience the great outdoors and have some sort of outdoor adventures...then people can point you to places for white water rafting, or hanggliding or something like that. Maybe you want to learn about American history...this could take a couple of directions...maybe the history of the westward expansion, or following the railroads, or maybe chasing down presidents homes/libraries or battlefield or something esle. Or maybe you are a sports fan and want to watch baseball across the country. Maybe you like architecture, and want to go city-to-city and find every Frank Lloyd Wright building from east to west. I don't know, I'm sure there are other ideas out there.

It really will help you and help us to help you if you can decide what it is you want to do. Doesn't mean you have to do ONLY those things, it just means you can design a route which suits your purposes and then see what else falls into place.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Spring" as in late March, or do you mean mid-May?