Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Club Med Crested Butte -- anybody been....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:03 PM
christy

We are looking at this for a possible family vacation in late January (coming from Brazil), anybody been, how were the facilities, etc. We have skiied Vail and Aspen -- how does the resort compare with these places in terms of slope selection, maintenance, snow quality...any tips appreciated! Thanks!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:20 PM
sister

That used to be another hotel--what was it ? Can't remember now..but Club Med took it over. I love Crested Butte..the town itself. it is a great family spot..if you have skiied Vail/Aspen , you'll like Crested Butte.

For snob appeal (which Vail and Aspen have) you may try Telluride as well.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Paige

I've never stayed at Club Med but it has the best location on the mountain in Crested Butte. They appear to have a good program for kids. I believe it's an all inclusive resort which keeps a lot of people from eating out at the local restaurants. I've heard restaurant employees talk of the negative impact this has on the local economy to take that many beds out of the loop for dining out. Crested Butte has some of my favorite restaurants. There isn't much night life in CB. The mountain is not as large as Vail or Aspen but the snow and grooming are as good as these other resorts. CB has plenty of varied terrain for skiers of all abilities and plenty for extreme skiers.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:46 PM
melinda

the mountain has plenty of steep and off to the left in the painter boy area are some mild novice runs. i believe that the club med took over the grand butte which might of been a marriott for a season or two. it would be a shame to not sample the restaurants in the town as the food there always was so good and they have a handful of restaurants that i would love to revist any time. snow conditions in late january would be my concern. icy conditions have been a sore spot when we have visited and in the last few years snow levels in january have been sparse i believe but that is just what i have read online as it has been several years since we have been there. aspen or vail or steamboat would have more snow whether it is manmade or natural. crested butte sticks out of a very flat area of colorado so you are not looking at huge mountain ranges all around or looking out into a boxed canyon of mountains like telluride. it is a wonderful little town full of flavor but is different then the other places noted. there might be a club med in utah as well but maybe i am mistaken. have a great trip. iski.com or do a google.com search on colorado for last year's snowfall and maybe some visitors comments.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Linda

We are considering a week at Club Med CB in January. Anyone stayed there? If so, do you recommend it? Thanks for any further information, Linda

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 02:48 AM
mattie

We were just in Crested Butte...don't know anything about skiiing...but for dramatic scenery and skiing both...I would definitley go for Telluride!