Naples question for runners

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples question for runners

I am leaving for Naples on Monday. I am just wondering where good running places would be[besides the beach].Also, does anybody know how far it is from the Trianon hotel to the beach??
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:27 AM
OliveOyl

The beach is a wonderful place to run, but only if you time it to coincide with low tide...otherwise it'll be the workout of your life! When we stayed at the Registry I ran from there along the quiet streets in nearby neighborhoods. It's a great way to tour, and I probably went several miles more than normal just enjoying the scenery. Sorry...not much help for you, staying at a different hotel and probably not near the quieter area I was in, but hopefully Patrick can help you out with more specific info. I just wanted to comment on the beach runs. We occasionally do it here (Tampa Bay/Clearwater area), but only do so at low tide when there is hard packed sand between the water and the high tide line.

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Welcome to my neighborhood. The Trianon is just two blocks from my place. It is between 9th and 10th Streets, which means it is between 9 and 10 blocks to the beach.
I'm not a runner, and not sure how you feel about running on asphalt or blacktop, but a lot of people run up and down any of the streets of old Naples south of the Trianon. You can also head over to the beach and run in the bicycle lane (there will be very few bicyles) all the way down Gordon Drive which parallels the beach going south from the pier. Also, I believe the grounds to the Gulfview middle school are usually left open, so before or after school hours you can run on the track, or at least I see a number of people doing that. Gulfview Middle School is at 3rd Avenue South and 8th Street South.

Olive is right about doing the beach run at low tide. It's all I can do to walk through the softer sand above the tide line!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, if you see a 40 year old small-ish pale northerner running in your neighborhood, give me a wave!!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Well, OK, but if I waved at every pale northerner running by my place, my arm would fall off.