Notices

Closest major airport to Galveston?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Need

Closest major airport to Galveston?

Help, I'm thinking of taking a cruise from Galveston but I need to know what airport I would fly into to figure out the airfare. Thanks!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:02 AM
me

For scheduled passenger service, either Hobby or Houston Intercontinental in Houston.

I don't know of any scheduled air service to Scholes airport in Galveston, but the easy way to get from Houston to Galveston is to rent a car.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Need

Thanks. How far a drive is it?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Statia

Hobby is the closest airport to Galveston. It's about 30 to 40 miles north. Houston International is another 40 miles north of Hobby, so I'd go with Hobby, if possible.

You should also check out Galveston Limo Co. It's a shuttle company that takes passengers anywhere between Houston International and Galveston. That would be your best bet to get from the airport to Galveston, IMO, but you would need to have it scheduled, I believe.

Good luck.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Rocky

Definitely check out
galvestonlimo.com
You may get a better fare flying tino Houston Hobby airport and it is MUCH closer.If you have to fly into Houston George Bush Intl Airport, there are a few departures last time I looked.The limo is much cheaper and easier than renting a car.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Si

Mexico City...........!!

Have you ever heard of Orbits or Travelocity???? How about your cruise line??????

Si

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Reader

Si
You sound stressed.How bout a leetle shopping to cure your attitude.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Need

Si, of course I've heard of them, In fact, that's the first place I went. Why don't you go and see what happens when you type in Galveston as a destination, I'll tell you what happens, nothing, no comprende, it says no such airport (duh) and doesn't offer an alternative, but it's really nice of you to be so helpful. You're a real asset to this forum. Oh, and the cruiselines want to charge $500 for airfare from NY (not in this life).

To those of you who aren't sarcastic malcontents, I appreciate your help, thanks.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Need

Tambien es Orbitz, no es Orbits, Si. Que pasa? No Hablas Ingles? Vamos a la escuela ahora por favor.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:39 PM
JJ

Actually, the CLOSEST airport is Houston Ellington. If you fly Continental from Newark to Intercontinental, the airline will fly you on a puddlejumper to Ellington. Saves you about 45-60 miles of driving time but not much else.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Jack

When we lived on Galveston Island I usually flew out of Hobby (HOU) because it is much closer than Houston Intercontinental (IAH). When Continental moved the bulk of their operation to IAH they offered a shuttle between HOU and IAH at no cost if you were flying with them. They now run the shuttle between IAH and Ellington Field, still at no cost if you are flying CO. Hobby is an older, smaller airport served mostly by Southwest, wih American and Delta also operating a few flights that feed into their hubs. Either Hobby or Ellington - even IAH, for that matter - will work for you as Galveston Limo serves all three. The easiest and probably cheapest would be to fly Continental into Elington.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 06:51 PM
former

Check with the cruise line. We went on an NCL cruise a few years ago from Galveston and they provided a bus from the Houston airport which guaranteed we'd arrive on time. The cruise lines will give you time parameters etc.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:02 AM
travellyn

I used to fly into Ellington whenever possible, partly because it was close to home, but even more because it was so easy to get in and out of. It's so small that there's no wait for baggage, no charge for parking (at least no charge 5 years ago), and no long walk to get to luggage and ground transportation.