Search

Trip to Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Los Angeles

Hi all. My husband and I are planning a trip to LA in September. We'll probably drive down (we're in Nevada) and will be there from Thursday (will arrive Wed afternoon) to Sunday.

For sure we want to see a play (I'm thinking "Young Frankenstein"), and I'd like to do one of those city tours where you drive through the neighborhoods and learn the history of the buildings, architecture, and so forth. We love to walk around and explore, and we love good food, too.

What other activities would you recommend for a relatively short trip? Also, what city should we stay in? Santa Monica? We'll have our car, as I mentioned.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM

I like the beach, pier, and shopping prominade at Santa Monica... we stayed at Shutters on the Beach and everything was walkable... Our bus tour (Grayline) picked us up at the hotel and we had a riot with a busload of total strangers... we then went back to the attractions and areas we found interesting... you can rent bikes and use the beach paths and ride from Malibu to Venice Beach easily... plenty of decent food also... have fun!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM

Shutters is amazing if you can afford it - I know a poster has mentioned scoring it on Priceline before.

I liked the JW right there in Santa Monica - not as steep at Shutters. I did not care for the Double Tree - but we were staying on points so who is to complain TOO much.

We like BOA for a nice dinner - I love staying in Santa Monica. and it is not too far to get to see Young Frankenstein. We went to Wicked with our daughters once when we stayed in SM.

It should be great weather - and the beaches will be cleared out with most of the kids back in school!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:51 PM
lvk

L.A. Conservancy has great walking architectural tours:
www.laconservancy.org/tours/tours_main.php4

Red Line has some walking tours as well: www.redlinetours.com/

There are also Segway tours: www.segwow.com/tours.htm

I would also recommend a bike ride along the beach. September is the best month, weatherwise, in Southern California, IMO.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"I'd like to do one of those city tours where you drive through the neighborhoods and learn the history of the buildings, architecture, and so forth."

Gamble House tour in Pasadena is very interesting, especially if interested in architecture. I believe they have a map at the gift shop of other homes in the area that you can do a self-guided walking tour.

http://www.gamblehouse.org/

Below is my review of one of the best restaurants I have been to in quite some time. Very fair prices and the food was terrific. Barbrix is in Silver Lake, not far from downtown or Pasadena area.

http://web.me.com/tomfielding1/Tom_%...ake%2C_CA.html

Have fun!

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"September is the best month, weatherwise, in Southern California, IMO."

Yes, but bring sunscreen. It can get really hot (of course, it is 92 today) in September.

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
yk

second the suggestions of LA Conservancy walking tour, and the Gamble House in Pasadena.

Don't forget to drive up to Griffith Observatory for a great view!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 02:02 PM

A picnic on the beach might be nice. Pick up some great italian subs from Bay cities:
http://www.baycitiesitaliandeli.com/