Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hubby wants to see Boston. I know nothing about such a trip.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're just in preliminary stages, like, getting basic information. We're trying to enjoy life more, collecting memories instead of possessions, while still being careful with money. No kids, but we've had a couple of health scares that have fortunately turned out to be, surprisingly, not really anything.

We don't drink alcohol, don't "party hearty," and I'm likely allergic to shellfish. So that info is pretty much wasted on us. We like to walk around and look at things: museums, shopping areas, people. Yeah, we're boring, but we don't mind.

He's thinking October, about 10 days, a Tuesday through the following Thursday. And adding either NYC (because we had only 3.5 days there a few months ago) or maybe elsewhere in New England. I know, pretty vague. He wants to see all the historical stuff. God, you'd think he had family at Lexington and Concord with his fascination of American History!

I'm not sure about driving in Boston. We don't mind sticking to subways, having done okayon NYC and DC. But if we go anywhere else (besides the train to NYC), I assume we'd need to drive.

So, with all that lack of detail, any help on what we should do, see, stay, etc?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM

I recommend that you get a guidebook about Boston and both read it to select what you want to see. Then plot those points on a map so you can group them geographically.

The destination section opf this website is another good resource; their sample itineraries might be helpful.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stay as close to the center of the city as possible perhaps?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Where are you coming from and what's your total budget?

My mother was a historian AND I'm from Lexington, so maybe I can help you out! LOL.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 11:13 AM

Keep in mind that October is the best, and most popular time for visiting New England. Boston hotel prices will be high. And you should probably plan to make reservations in advance. Since leaf peeping will be going on, you may run into minimum stay requirements in other parts of New England (though this is less the case if you go mid-week).

If you can swing a hotel downtown, then you should definitely do so. And you have it right...mass transit while you are in Boston, then get a car when its time to leave. Its not too bad to pick up the car from a downtown rental agency and the get out of the city.

You can fill up as much time in Boston itself as you care to spend. Definitely take a look at the Fodor's destinations/itineraries to get an idea of what things you want to see, and that will help you decide how long to spend. I'd guess around 3 days, but maybe more if there is more you want to do.

You can do some outlying areas easily as day trips if you prefer: Lexington and Concord, Rockport, and Salem are some of the most popular.

After that you have tons of choices...Portsmouth New Hamshire, Portland Maine, the White Mountains in New Hampshire, Vermont around Burlington and Lake Champlain, Newport RI, the Berkshires....thats just a smattering. If you want to see foliage, then recommendations will really depend a bit on exact dates. earlier in October you should go further north. By mid October, southern New Hampshire and most of Massachusetts will be getting to peak. Do a search on this forum for New England or foliage or leaf peeping trips, and you will see lots of ideas for itineraries and places to go.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Are you flying or driving?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 11:59 AM

There have been tons of recent posts on this topic if you can use the search function.

china_cat's advice is excellent with two exceptions: don't go to Salem after October 15 (Halloween foolishness) or plan to be in Boston the weekend of the Head of the Charles Regatta, October 20-21.

Priceline is good for Boston hotels but be careful where you are bidding. The closer to the center, the better. In general you can get to the places you and others mention by T (subway and trolley) or commuter rail. There is a terrific fast ferry to Salem but it may quit around Columbus Day.

Lodging is expensive in Boston and food might be, but there are fantastic inexpensive options we can help you with when you are more certain where you will be.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 01:43 PM

>>

Unless you want to see the Regatta, of course Didn't someone on Fodor's go last year and post that it worked out well, including good views. Maybe that wasn't the Head of the Charles?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 01:54 PM

The regatta itself is fabulous if it is not bucketing down rain and blowing a gale. It is best watched, I think, on Mmeorial Drive near Weeks Bridge across from the B School. You don't have a clue who won, of course, but the views of the passing boats is terrific.

No, my issue is crowded hotels and restaurants and large numbers of very large young people wandering around everywhere. Traffic is seriously disrupted, and the T is packed. But a wonderful good time.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 02:30 PM

http://www.newburyguesthouse.com/directions/index.cfm

this is a centrally located guest house which is reasonably priced. you can walk or take public transportation to most of the city from here. Parking is free if you have a car.
I recommend the Gardner Museum, Boston Fine Arts, an orientation tour of the city, the Freedom Trail and the Fanueil Hall area as a start to your visit. Day trips to Lexington, etc are very nice and October is the perfect time to see it.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Boston for a few days and then drive to Acadia National Park. Stay in Bar Harbor while visiting the park for 2-3 days.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 03:33 PM
yk

Since you're still thinking about this trip, beware that you'll have major hotel sticker shock if you visit Boston in October. Unless you really want to see fall foliage, pushing your trip to November may save you a bit of money on lodging.

Concord and Lexington is an easy drive out of the city. Although you can possibly visit them via commuter rail, it's not that convenient without a car. OTOH, towns like Salem is totally doable by commuter rail, and (I think?) Gloucester.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 03:38 PM

>>

Out of curiosity, how would you get from site to site within Concord, for example, without a car? (ex. from the battlefield to Louisa May Alcott's home to Walden Pond, and even to downtown Concord)?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 03:47 PM

on horseback or a days march like the minutemen?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 03:56 PM

A car is worse the useless in Boston - stay in the center and you can walk to a huge number of sights or grab public transit to anything too far.

You can get to NYC easily vie either Amtrak (buy tickets in advance to get a discount) or vis one of hte reliable (not china town buses).

Since this is a very busy time of year I would start looking for hotels now and see if you can get a prepay discount. (SOrry I can;t give specifics - had family there that I stayed with on most trips - so my only hotel experiences are congresses - one of the hotels attached to the convention center - and they often don;t have deals.)
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 06:10 PM
yk

sf, if one is ambitious, one can possibly walk from one site to another. Concord itself isn't that large.

But during tourist season, there is a trolley tour bus that has loops around the main sites: http://www.libertyride.us/libertyride.html
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 02:39 AM

Both food tours of Boston, the North End (Italian) and Chinatown, include fascinating history as well as wonderful food samples. You can fly in and not need a car at all unless you are going to visit other places. The JFK Library is also very interesting as well as all the Freedom Trail stops.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 04:07 AM

One way to get to and around Concord and Lexington without a car is on a bicycle.

The wonderful Minuteman Bikeway goes from Alewife station in Cambridge to Lexington and eventually to Bedford. It's about a 7-mile trip on the Bikeway from Alewife to Lexington and the Battle Green, and then a mile or so more up Mass Ave to the Minute Man National Historical Park. At the latter, there's a wonderful pedestrian and bike trail, the Battle Road Trail. From there, you could work your way into Concord Center and to Bedford, where you'd catch the Minuteman Trail back to Alewife.

That route is roughly 25 miles, with a very gentle uphill from Alewife to Concord. If you can get yourself to Bedford (there's a MBTA bus), you can rent a bicycle at The Bikeway Source (a shop at the Bedford end of the bikeway), then pop over to Concord and Lexington.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM

With the exception of Walden Pond (which is a good bit further out of the way), it's entirely possible to walk between Concord MA tourist sites and the commuter rail station. Being a hearty walker like me helps, but it's not in my experience out of the question to reasonably see all but Walden Pond on foot from the station. Of course, if a seasonal trolley exists, I say take full advantage.

Lexington is not reached via commuter rail, though last I knew it was easy enough to take a local bus (weekdays only, though) between the Alewife subway stop (last stop on the Red Line in that direction) and the attractions there.

The Minuteman Bike Trail is a very good idea as well for visiting Lexington (it goes right through the center of town), if you're a cyclist. You'll need to go beyond the end of the bike trail (it stops in Bedford) to visit Concord via bike, but I've seen people do so.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Depending on interests, I'd think a minimum of three days for Boston/Cambridge is good, and more wouldn't be unreasonable. Definitely take a look at some good guidebooks and search posts here.

Should also add that if the plan is to spend 10 days in Boston, you'll be able to see most everything Boston/Cambridge have to offer as well as take several of the sizable number of excellent day trip options available from there: in Massachusetts alone you can consider Plymouth, Salem, Lexington, Concord, New Bedford, Marblehead, Gloucester, Rockport, Lowell, Essex/Ipswich, or the fast ferry to Provincetown. Or as was suggested, you could spend a couple days exploring areas beyond simple day-trip realms, like The Berkshires, Pioneer Valley (with or without Old Sturbridge Village or Worcester), Cape Cod and the Islands, or places in neighboring states.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -