Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 10:18 PM
Just

West Nile Virus in New York

Just FYI, folks...

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/doh/htm.../pr59-724.html

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 04:48 AM
howard

The site does provide a helpful update, but don't overreact, and certainly don't cancel you trip!

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 05:50 AM
mat

Frankly, I'm more worried about the pesticide being sprayed all over the city than I am about the mosquitoes or the West Nile virus.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 06:20 AM
xxx

There has actually not been aerial spraying in Manhattan, specifically because of the concern about the dense population being hit by the pesticides. This may change, however, since they found mosquitos with the virus in Central Park yesterday. There has been aerial spraying in other boros, and I believe, in Westchester. Still, like Howard said, I'm certainly not evacuating, and I wouldn't cancel your trip.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 07:38 AM
Lori

Couldn't agree with Mat more. The pesticide has me more worried than the actual disease. Although they say it is organic and breaks down once sprayed, Long Island is already the Breast Cancer capital of the nation. I for one would rather do without the spraying and take natural precautions.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 12:55 AM
tweedy

Central Park has already been sprayed, and we went to the part tonight for the Philharmonic concert and didn't see a mosquitoe. We had our citronella candles burning as did most of the people attending.

Wednesday, July 26, starting at midnight spraying will start in Manhattan. West Nile is not a good thing to have running around, but neither are pesticides. Which one is worse, .....not sure.

No one this season has become infected with the virus and the city is doing a really good job in testing and spraying.

Lets all hope this thing can be taken care of and no one else gets sick.

tweedy