Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Closest airport to Asheville.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/closest-airport-to-asheville-753330/)

NativeNewYorker Dec 14th, 2007 03:12 PM

Closest airport to Asheville....

....besides Asheville, to which we might be able to flight direct, non-stop from NYC?

pianogirl Dec 14th, 2007 03:18 PM

I know you can fly nonstop from NYC to Charlotte.

kellyhayes Dec 14th, 2007 03:21 PM

you could get direct flights into either Charlotte or Knoxville, TN, with probably cheaper (and more) options with Charlotte. Both are about the same distance from Asheville.

Way_North Dec 14th, 2007 03:37 PM

Greenville, SC (GSP) is a great little airport with many flights on various airlines. GSP has direct flights to EWR with Continental. I don't know about other airlines and direct flights to NYC from GSP. GSP is much closer to Asheville than Charlotte or Knoxville. Greenville airport is 1 hour from Asheville, Knoxville and Charlotte 2 hours

Cargillman Dec 15th, 2007 09:07 AM

Charlotte is a 2 hour drive from Asheville, and offers a plethora of flight options.

Way_North Dec 15th, 2007 11:07 AM

Greenville GSP is only 1 hours from Asheville and has a few nonstop flights every day to the New York area on various airlines. We always find less expensive flights to/from GSP than to/from CLT

NativeNewYorker Dec 16th, 2007 02:13 AM

Is it a prettier drive from Knoxville than from the other directions?

Way_North Dec 16th, 2007 04:13 AM

When?

Cassandra Dec 16th, 2007 07:08 AM

Drive from Knoxville is certainly pretty but also a bit .... exciting. I wouldn't want to do it in iffy winter weather.

cmcfong Dec 16th, 2007 07:14 AM

The cheapest option might be to fly from NYC to GSO on Skybus for $20 rt. Drive the 2.5 hours direct on I-40 and there you are.

Brutforce Dec 16th, 2007 12:20 PM

cmc - I don't think there are direct flts from NYC to GSO, yet.

meath1 Dec 16th, 2007 06:24 PM

Skybus will start to fly from Stewart Airport in Newburgh to GSO in February. So unless you live that far north of NYC, Skybus may not be an option for you. Continental has some nonstops from Newark, otherwise look at Flights from any of the NYC airports to Charlotte. Flights to Greenville are often lower but there are less options.

cmcfong Dec 17th, 2007 04:05 AM

I am sorry, I didn't note a date of travel for the nativenewyorker. I mention Skybus because it is a very cheap option. Friends who have used the carrier give it good marks for comfort and dependability.

I am flying to Puenta Gorda, FL on Skybus when the service commences in Feb for $40 rt. They will have direct from GSO (my home airport) to NY, BOS, LA. Of course as noted they serve secondary airports and transportation from the airport to your ultimate destination remains an issue to consider. Safe travels.

Gretchen Dec 17th, 2007 06:00 AM

Doesn't Continental fly to Asheville from Newark?
Charlotte to Asheville is 2 hours. Knoxville to Asheville is 2 hours through some pretty mountains the last 45 minutes--boring the rest of the way.
Charlotte now has some low cost carriers which I would doubt Knoxville does.

Brian_in_Charlotte Dec 17th, 2007 06:36 AM

GSP is a great option, and I think that's a fairly attractive drive once you head north of I-85. Though I'd choose Charlotte if the cost was for some reason $100 cheaper (airfare and rental car).

palmettoprincess Dec 24th, 2007 12:08 PM

They recently announced the most expensive airports in the country. Knoxville and Greenville both ranked in the top 20. I don't know that they will save you $.

Way_North Dec 25th, 2007 05:15 AM

As with any airport and at any time, one needs to search for the best air fares. We always, I mean, ALWAYS find less expensive air fares from GSP than AVL and there are more options from Greenville/Spartanburg anyway. Parking is less expensive in GSP too. Both airports are small and easy to navigate. Besides, OP did not ask about to which airport air fares are least expensive from NYC. The question is about the closest airport to Asheville besides AVL with direct, non-stop flights.

Bob_KY Dec 25th, 2007 03:57 PM

Both drives from either Knoxville or Greeneville SC to Asheville are pretty. The Knoxville drive is through higher mountains with more dramatic scenery and is one of the pretties interstate stretches in the eastern US. Greeneville to Asheville is shorter, however.

Jimingso Dec 25th, 2007 04:04 PM

When are you traveling?

Do not plan on driving from Knoxville to Asheville in the winter unless you like driving on ice.