Reload this Page >

Closed areas of Montana?

Search

Closed areas of Montana?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 06:41 AM
Donna

Closed areas of Montana?

I'll be leaving for Montana (Glacier NP) on September 3rd. On the east coast, we see the news stories of the terrible fires in Montana and Wyoming, but they're never really clear about what areas are involved. (I suppose many easterners think Montana is just a small area).

What areas have been closed? What highways are closed? Will I still be able to get to Glacier?

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 07:17 AM
Mary

We were in Glacier/Waterton last week. All the roads, hiking trails, etc. were open. The park and everywhere in the West has strict fire restrictions in place - NO SMOKING in the park, NO FIRES ANYWHERE, Etc. People are taking the restrictions very, very seriously.
Glacier and Waterton were Beautiful. Some of the really large vistas were obscurred by the smoke. The views from the Road to the Sun were gray, and washed out. The views and the air seemed alot clearer when we were on hiking trails. We did four five-mile hikes - Wonderful.

The park was certainly not crowded and I'm glad we went, but I hope we can go again when Montana is not suffering so. The people of Montana and Waterton were so very, very pleasant. What they are experiencing now is very difficult- Even if it is a natural part of the life cycle of forrests.

Right now the northwestern portion of the US isn't getting any precipitation. Until it does, the fires will only get worse. There is only so much the dedicated fire-fighters can do. They are working so hard - It is almost like ants putting out a bon-fire. We need rain so badly.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Donna

Mary - Thanks for the report. We've had alot of rain in the east this summer. Let's hope the west and mid-west gets rain soon.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Dan

See my post titled "Glacier Park Fire Info!!!!"

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 12:08 PM
tweedy

I heard on the news last night that all the parks are now closed to visitors in Montana and that alot of the fires there are no under control and will not be for some time. I would really suggest booking another spot for you vacation. Even if the fires are out, the damage has already been done and the forest won't be quite the same for some time.

tweedy

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 02:52 PM
mary

Glacier National Park is NOT closed. Please see its official Web Site. This site says that incorrect reports have been made about closures. Only one small fire is burning in the least accessible north-west corner of the park.