Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cliff House San Francisco questions -- room with a view? Children? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cliff-house-san-francisco-questions-room-with-a-view-children-826789/)

bakerstreet Feb 16th, 2010 08:31 AM

Cliff House San Francisco questions -- room with a view? Children?

We want to have a meal at the Cliff House while in San Francisco on our two-family trip. The views on the website look spectacular! Are those views only available in a particular dining room? I see that the restaurant offers several dining choices -- Sutro's, Bistro, Terrace. Sutro's takes reservations (but nothing available for a party of 8, so looks like we'd need to split into two tables of 4); Bistro (first-come, first-served) and Terrace for Sunday Brunch. We won't be there on a Sunday so the Terrace is out.

What's the difference between Sutro's and the Bistro? I want the fabulous view. I'd prefer to be able to make reservations, but the other factors (view, type of meal, table location, etc.) are more important factors.

StuDudley Feb 16th, 2010 08:39 AM

The fantastic views are at Sutro's.

They should be able to accommodate a party of 8 - have you called, or are you using Opentable?

Stu Dudley

StuDudley Feb 16th, 2010 08:41 AM

Forgot to add:

From about mid-June through August, there is probably a 65% chance that it will be "fogged in" at the Cliff House.

Stu Dudley

bakerstreet Feb 16th, 2010 08:53 AM

Yes, opentable. I'll call. We're going in mid-March. Not sure if lunch or dinner is better -- you have any recommendation?
Thanks!

elberko Feb 16th, 2010 08:57 AM

To help figure out timing:

We ate at Sutro's at sunset a few years ago. Sunset was lovely, but, of course, NOTHING to see once it got dark!

~Liz

bakerstreet Feb 16th, 2010 09:38 AM

Good point -- lunch it is!

Thanks.

starrs Feb 16th, 2010 10:51 AM

Fabulous views! Enjoy!

LoveItaly Feb 16th, 2010 11:49 AM

Hello bakerstreet, I just saw your thread. I think and sure hope that phoning will enable you to reserve a table for eight at the Cliff House. I would think it would and I say that as about four months ago a group of friends had a birthday celebration there at lunch time at Sutro's and I know they were all seated together.

bakerstreet Feb 16th, 2010 12:18 PM

Thanks to all. For anyone who may be searching for info and finds this thread -- I did call the Cliff House and they said I'm calling a few days too early, as they open their reservations 30 days before the date.

I'll call back on the right day. Can't wait to see those views!

rncheryl Feb 16th, 2010 01:49 PM

Nice little gift shop there, too.

yk Feb 16th, 2010 02:02 PM

My mom & I ate at the Bistro for lunch in August 2008; and we got a table by the window with fabulous view (looking south at the beach & ocean).

yk Feb 16th, 2010 02:10 PM

I suppose the difference between the 2 is price. And of course, with the Bistro, since it's first-come-first-served, you aren't guaranteed a table with a view.

FWIW, here's a photo I took from our table at the Bistro:
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/IMG_1987.jpg

StuDudley Feb 16th, 2010 02:25 PM

>>with the Bistro, since it's first-come-first-served, you aren't guaranteed a table with a view.<<

Really difficult for a party of 8.

View in March is not as good from the Bistro because it looks southwest - into the sun for lunch. The views from Sutro's looks more directly west & north.

Stu Dudley

razzledazzle Feb 16th, 2010 02:54 PM

yk-I took that same picture when dining at the Bistro !
I certainly do not feel the views are better at Sutro's-
and the neo-classical ambience has been preserved
in the Bistro, where Sutros is very modern.
True, you prob need a reservation for your party of 8,
but at least have a look at the Bistro-much more representative of the original Cliffhouse(s).

<I>Tick...tick...tick</I> ((o))

R5

Dayenu Feb 16th, 2010 03:18 PM

The difference is the price. If you get a window table in the Bistro the view is better - you'll feel like on a ship in the ocean. And if you agree to wait, they will give you that electronic vibrating thing to let you know when your table is ready.

Sutro is more formal, and I saw the tables there - some are in the middle, so the view may be not so good.

I was there for lunch only, but I have to agree with Liz - there will be nothing after dark.

Traveling with children? Check out Tonga room in Fairmont hotel - opened for dinners only - they have real rain with lightning and thunder.