Cleveland insects - ?midgies - what are they?

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleveland insects - ?midgies - what are they?

Not trying to get into baseball discussion here, but those from Cleveland or surrounding area - during baseball game last night for several innings there were swarms of gnat-like insects making it nearly impossible forplayers to concentrate or see. What are they? Is this something to consider when visiting that area? What time of year? Never seen such a thing.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:45 AM

they called them "Canadian soldiers" during the postgame. it was really wild.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:02 AM

My husband's Canadian and knows about these bugs since they have them in Toronto too, but he's never heard them called "Canadian soldiers!" What does that say about the Canadian military... they swarm all over, being annoying, but they don't bite?? LOL

GO RED SOX!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

I knoe there was some controversy about some media guy not only calling them Canadian soldiers, but then making nasty comments about how they had similarities to real soldiers from Canada - basically all show and no bite. I thought we were beyond using ethnic, country and racial terms to refer to things, but I guess not. (Sort of ironic that they appeared in a city which refers to their team as "Indians")

Anyway, are they something that visitors have to be concerned about?
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:54 AM

I visit Cleveland often for family and never had the experience like during the ballgame. Now I have had the swarms while camping by a lake or at the cottage by the lake. Supposedly the warm temps with the location near Lake Erie caused the problem. Probably didn't help to have a stadium all lit up to attract the little critters.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:15 AM

I doubt you'd have to be concerned about them. It was a fluke that they hatched, it was due to the unseasonably warm weather. Plus they die very quickly.

The Yankees were using the wrong approach, apparently bug spray only makes it worse. They are attracted to sweat, so the players really needed to keep wiping themselves off instead of using bug spray.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - that explains some things. And as a Red Sox fan I got some sort of sadistic pleasure out of watching them bug the Yankees.