Travel Las Vegas to San Fransisco

Old Aug 6th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Las Vegas to San Fransisco

Hi,

Me and my partner are looking to fly to San Fransisco next August for his 30th birthday for 3 weeks (we are flying from the UK) We are looking at hiring a camper van and driving from San Fransisco to Las Vegas and possibly back to San Fransisco to save the one way camper hire fee! .. making the occasional stops along the way at different destinations such as LA.
We have priced this up to be fairly reasonable, i was just wondering if anyone could suggest any good reliable campsites we could use along the way?

Also any suggestions on attractions we should stop and see or any places we should consider making a pit stop at? I don't want to miss anything

And if someone could let me know the average price of petrol at the moment that will also help!

Thank you very much
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 07:27 AM

www.gasbuddy.com might help if it works from the UK
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In my area of California, about $4/gallon.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 01:13 PM

any good reliable campsites we could use along the way

I happen to like National Forest campgrounds, usually found above 5,000 ft. in the Sierra Nevada. Google the various National Forests--for example: Tahoe National Forest--and their web site will provide camping information. Nevada has only one National Forest in the north.

Here's a list of national forests, up to you to determine if their location would be in your itinerary:

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys �� really helpful information!

I'll take a look at the national forests as well and see what ones we will be passing! Thanks ����
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 11:47 PM

Just came back from a few days in the Sierra and lake Tahoe area. If you plan to go to Lake Tahoe, I recommend taking CA49 from Auburn to the top of the Sierra Nevada. It is much more scenic than I80 or US50; but it is much longer. There are many U.S. Forest Service campgrounds along that road, some not very attractive as they are squeezed between the river and the road, and others more attractive as the terrain opens up at the higher elevations. Many of these campgrounds do not have potable water, and the available water (river or lake) must be purified before ingesting it. Those with no water--the camp sites have a picnic table, a fire pit and a bear box, and there is a pit toilet near-by--usually cost $10 per night. On that side of I80, CA49 becomes scenic once past Grass Valley. Nevada City (http://www.nevadacitychamber.com/ ) is worth a stop off CA49 which goes around it. Downieville is also attractive.