Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Clearwater Beach, Belleair Beach or Indian Rocks Beach

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

We are looking for a gulf front, 2BR, 2BA condo to stay in April 8-15, 2006 for spring break. We will have two 15 year old girls. We are wondering if Belleair Beach and/or Indian Rocks Beach is too quiet for them? It doesn't have to be rowdy, but we want to stay where there will be stuff to do for them - volleyball, parasailing, etc.

Has anyone ever stayed at the Villas on Clearwater or Surfside in Clearwater Beach?

Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM

I'm thinking the Bellaire/Indian Rocks area won't have parasailing or volleball but both are close enough to Clearwater Beach that they can take the trolley up there for action during the day and you can still get a good night's sleep without all the rowdiness of CB.

I'm staying at a condo at Indian Shores the week before you with 4 teenage boys and I chose that area for its more quiet atmosphere but proximity to activities. I learned my lesson staying in the middle of Panama Beach one year. Second worst vacation ever with lots of drunk loud noise all night long.

I stayed at Indian Rocks for a long weekend last May and tried to scope out a place to stay in Clearwater for spring break this year. I found high rise hotels with sticky nasty carpet and dumpy motels and nice houses for rent but most of them weren't beach front (and those that were are rented by now). There was one nice condo place near the pier (Mandalay) but their minimum rental is one month.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

amwosu - thanks for the feedback. You were in Indian Rocks in May - why aren't you staying there in April? Just curious to see if we should stay away from there.

Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Indian Rocks and Indian Shores are next to each other, the beach keeps going, there really isn't anything but a name change between them. Bellaire Beach is more residential, lots of big homes right on the beach, not many are rentals. There is only about 15 miles between St. Pete and Clearwater so no real change in the beaches between the two towns.

I ended up at Indian Shores because I was looking very specifically for a 3 bedroom condo with nice furnishings and the one I liked that was available was in Indian Shores.

Have you tried to find condos yet? I secured mine the first week of September and even then many that I liked were already booked for spring break. I always get them through www.vrbo.com if you haven't tried that site yet.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

amwosu - thanks. I have not secured a condo yet. I have found several that are available the week we need. I think the big majority of spring break will be over by the time we get down there. Unfortunately, our school district always ties spring break with Easter - and it's very late this year. Plus the cost goes up in some because they consider it a holiday week. I have checked several websites but I gave gotten the best response from vbro.com. I too am looking for places with nice funishings and also for a pool. There aren't many condos on Clearwater Beach that have a pool - that's why I have started to look at Belleair Beach and Indian Rocks Beach. I just keep hearing how quiet it is down there and am worried it will be too quiet. Does that make sense???? Thanks again
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Have you looked in the other direction- towards St. Pete? Treasure Island area or the area just north of John's Pass will likely be more active. I haven't been to the area at all on Spring Break but I doubt that even Indian Rocks area will be dead then.

Another place to consider would be Siesta Key near Sarasota. You'd still fly into Tampa (or to Sarasota but at a higher price) and drive about an hour to get there. Lots of spring breakers there and IMO a better beach than Clearwater area.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Also I suggest considering Lido Key near St. Armand's Circle. There are numerous options on the beach that are a short walk to all the shops, restaurants etc that the Circle offers (which your teens would appreciate).
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

We were in Sarasota a few years ago - weren't able to stay on the beach. We did spend time at the beach and loved it.

I think we'll try sticking closer to the Tampa area as we are going to Busch Gardens and Adventure Park a couple of days. St. Pete area might be an option. I start looking into it. Thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Hello bparlin. I have it from the horses' mouth (my 16-y.o.) -- St. Pete Beach is your best bet for that age. That's where all the teens from this area go. The older they get the more they want to try Clearwater but it's an older drinking crowd so they go back to SPB. Have never stayed at any condos there but there are some next to the Tradewinds. That would be Kid Central location for the girls. Also, the Tradewinds and the Alden are resorts with apartments & suites. The Alden seems to get good reviews.

Hope that's helpful

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Let us know what you decide. And then be sure to let us know how it goes!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. I just found a 3BR 3 BA condo on the beach in Sand Key. Usually everything there was a 2 week minimum stay. We don't need this much but the price is way too good to pass up. A friend of mine at work has been to Sand Key and he says it's very nice. Any thoughts....
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:52 AM
emd

bparlin: there is some good info on Sand Key beach in this thread. Try to go to the bird sanctuary on the beach mentioned by Tandoori Girl in the last posting on the thread. It is a good place, doing good work,a dn interesting.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34493848
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM

I was under the impression that the whole little "island" is called Sand Key but I also think that the northern tip just before you go over the bridge to Clearwater is Sand Key Beach. Great proximity to the pier at Clearwater.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

amwosu - at first I also thought Sand Key was it's own island. But in doing all the research on where to stay, I found out it's the top of the strip that includes Belleair Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, etc. It is right across the bridge from Clearwater Beach. There is a nature park at the very tip - I've heard it is a must see. And I believe the Jolley Trolley goes here as well. That could be nice and handy too.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM

yes, the jolley trolley goes from sand key to clwtr beach. You'll definitely want to go to clearwater with the kids, not much for teenagers to do on Sand key. Go to Pier 60 about an hour before sunset, "sunsets at pier 60" is a good time for tourists. Street vendors and performers, and a good place for people watching. The whole strip from the Pier 60 parking lot north to Palm Pavilion should be entertaining for your kids. And don't worry, plenty of younger teens hang out there, it's not a great place for boozing it up as the Clearwater Police keep a pretty high profile in the area. Spring Break should be pretty crazy, expect plenty of crowds and plenty of traffic jams in the area. Have fun!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:54 PM
emd

One thing is that that little bridge that connects Clearwater to SAnd Key and beaches beyond gets VERY congested, esp. in late afternoon and early evening as people south head into Clearwater to eat dinner and go to the Pier 60, etc. Just expect traffic and go w/the flow, chant "om" or whatever, because it is bumper to bumper for a ways getting over that little bridge.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Not knowing the area at all, is Sand Key within walking distance to the Pier 60 evening activities (a mile or less)? Or maybe even rent bikes?? Are there bike rental places on Sand Key? Am I making a mistake staying on Sand Key with teenagers? I haven't booked the room yet.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM

I was tempted to book there myself, right on the tip of the island. I really think its a pretty good location, far enough away but close to the action. In my mind its close enough to walk. I'd get the address of the pier if possible and mapquest the distance to your condo. I can't remember for sure about pedestrian traffic over the bridge but its a big bridge so I'm assuming there is a sidewalk on it. Someone here will know.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Yikes, I do not know either. If you're staying in Sand Key, it is lovely. I was not sure about the trolley going over the bridge into Clearwater but will defer to those in the know. Be sure to buy amenities before you get to your condo because there isn't much on Sand Key, it is mostly residential.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Will be heading to Indian Rocks beach april 15-22 with a family of 8. 4 adults and 4 teens (13-18) Hoping the area will have activities for the kids?? Wanted to stay away from the heavy populated area's at that time of the year...??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO