Reload this Page >

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Search

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:19 AM
A.M.

Thoroughly Modern Millie

I read that this show does not actually open until April 18th (I have very expensive tickets for the 20th, 1st row mezzanine).
Has anyone seen the previews? I am hoping I made a good choice. Thanks, A.M.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:26 AM
lisa

We saw it in previews over Easter weekend. It's a great show. The lead is wonderful and so is her boss, Mr. Grayson. Also LOVED Mrs. Meers.

The songs are memorable and the dancing is good. I thought the sets were a little complex and they caused a technical problem when we were there -- one set wouldn't rise and they had to put up the house lights to fix it and then repeat the last few bars of the last song. Hey, that's what previews are for, right?

My only real complaint is that it's a little long -- I heard they're looking to cut 20 minutes and I think that would be a good move.

Hope you enjoy!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:39 AM
A.M.

Thanks Lisa. Bought tickets a few days ago at telecharge, so paid full price, it feels better to think it may be worth the big expense. Should I bring binoculars to see from 1st row mezz?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Frank

You will not need binoculars, but the railing on the mezz is a little high, so if you're short, it may prove to be annoying. The show was really enjoyable, you made a good choice. If you do a search of the forum, you will find a couple of previous discussions of the show. Enjoy.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Howard

The previous positive review notwithstanding, I'm sorry to report that the critics did not react very favorably to the show, which officially opened last night!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 02:43 PM
xxx

Howard, other than The Producers can you name a single big musical in the last year or two that the critics did praise?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Frank

Howard: I realize the almighty NY Times didn't give Millie a great review, and neither did the NY Post (former NY Times reveiwer). On the other hand, the NY Daily News, USA Today, and WOR Radio gave it rave reviews, which I fully agree with, having seen it just after it began previews. I predict it will get several Tony's and run for a couple of years. Time will tell.

Just as I don't use Zagat as my restaurant bible, I don't use the NY Times as my theater bible. Both opinions are factored in, but as one of many factors toward making a decision.

By the way Howard have you seen the show? If not, as the old Alka Seltzer ad said, "Try it, you'll like it".

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Howard

Hey, don't kill the messenger!
In response to xxx, Contact, The Full Monty, Urinetown and, yes, even Mamma Mia received favorable reviews from the the Times.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:47 AM
xxx

Fair enough, Howard, but Contact and Full Monty have both been over two years. So that leaves two favorables in the last two years?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Howard

For the sake of accuracy, The Full Monty opened October 26, 2000, while Contact opened March 30, 2000. In the case of the latter, gee, I missed your deadline by three weeks. And, I might also add that Times lauded three of the biggest straight-play hits of the past three years--Proof, Tale of the Allergist's Wife and Noises Off.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Serena

The musical "42 Street" received rave reviews from The New York Post. Howard was only stating a fact about "Millie". People can read the review if they like. Opinions from people who have seen the show and post on this site are helpful also. Howard has always shared information on New York. Thanks Howard.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 10:27 AM
lisa

I don't think it's fair to look at whether the "NY Times" gave it a good review. The NY Times has several reviewers. Unfortunately, Millie got stuck with Bradley or Bentley or whatever his name is -- he NEVER likes a musical. No surprise he wouldn't like a frothy, feel-good musical.

I still liked it and I think others will, too. It's a great, family show -- isn't that what musical theater is about?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Howard

Thank you, Serena, for expressing my intent so clearly....and for the kind words, as well! For the record, a couple weeks ago, I posted on another thread that the advance word on Thoroughly Modern Millie was favorable. I'm just trying to help out, folks!
Lisa, the Times' reviewer's name is Ben Brantley. He is the newpaper's top theatrical critic, which means that he'll review most of the Broadway shows. To give a blanket generalization that he never likes a musical is neither fair nor accurate. Among the major musicals he has praised, and usually rather strongly, in the past three years are The Producers, Kiss Me Kate, The Full Monty, Contact and Mamma Mia.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:22 AM
topper

to the top for Stacey!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Stacey

Thanks topper!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Frank

Just an update, New York Magazine, Newsday and the Newark Star Ledger gave it a good review.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Frank

Millie got 11 Tony nominations this morning, the most of any show this season.